London Banter

-   -   Where to buy paper travelcard (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7715-where-buy-paper-travelcard.html)

Davide Trani March 13th 09 03:54 AM

Where to buy paper travelcard

I'll arrive to stansted airport and my hotel is near blackwall. I'll
stay in london for a week so i need a 7day travelcard and I'd like to
buy a paper travelcard to use 2for1 vouchers. A friend suggested me to
take national express coach to stansted, then the jubilee line to
canning town and finally dlr to blackwall. In a previous post you said
in Stratford i can only buy oyster travelcard. So where can i buy the
paper travelcard?

Thanks in advance

MIG March 13th 09 07:54 AM

On Mar 13, 3:54*am, Davide Trani wrote:
I'll arrive to stansted airport and my hotel is near blackwall. I'll
stay in london for a week so i need a 7day travelcard and I'd like to
buy a paper travelcard to use 2for1 vouchers. A friend suggested me to
take national express coach to stansted, then the jubilee line to
canning town and finally dlr to blackwall. In a previous post you said
in Stratford i can only buy oyster travelcard. So where can i buy the
paper travelcard?

Thanks in advance

I think you meant "... coach to Stratford". I was wondering if there
were any National Rail ticket machines at Stratford that would sell a
seven-day travelcard, but if not (someone will confirm) ...

It depends on the relative prices, how much you are carrying and how
many single fares you are prepared to pay before getting the
travelcard

The quickest option is probably to get a train from Stansted to
Liverpool Street, then get a paper travelcard from the National Rail
ticket office there and then get one of many trains to Stratford from
Liverpool Street (or get the DLR at Bank nearby).

If you had loads of time, you could get the coach to Victoria instead
of Stratford, get a travelcard from the National Rail ticket office
there and then get the Underground.

If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

If you don't mind paying a single DLR fare first, you could go by DLR
to Limehouse and (I think) get the travelcard at the National Rail
ticket office.

Roland Perry March 13th 09 08:28 AM

Where to buy paper travelcard

In message
, at
00:54:34 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

[email protected] March 13th 09 10:25 AM

On 13 Mar, 07:54, MIG wrote:
[...]

The quickest option is probably to take the train from Stansted
directly to Stratford (they leave at 3 mins past the hour most of the
day, except during the peaks and early morning when you have to change
at Tottenham Hale) and buy your weekly travelcard at Stratford.
Journey time is just over an hour.

Davide Trani March 13th 09 12:15 PM

On 2009-03-13 09:28:43 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message
, at
00:54:34 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...fa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul

said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford...

[email protected] March 13th 09 12:34 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

On Mar 13, 8:28*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
00:54:34 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:

If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

IIRC it doesn't have a staffed NXEA ticket office, only an Underground
one, and LU don't sell paper season tickets.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Roland Perry March 13th 09 01:19 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

In message , at 13:15:55 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...hread/thread/f
e176607afa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul
said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford...

OK. So that raises the question: What's the disadvantage of an
Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a paper one? In other words, where
will it not be accepted that a paper one would.

Davide Trani March 13th 09 01:31 PM

On 2009-03-13 14:19:41 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 13:15:55 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.
Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...hread/thread/f
e176607afa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul
said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford...

OK. So that raises the question: What's the disadvantage of an
Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a paper one? In other words, where
will it not be accepted that a paper one would.

2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

[email protected] March 13th 09 01:55 PM

On 2009-03-13 14:19:41 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 13:15:55 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.
*Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...hread/thread/f
e176607afa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul
said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford....

OK. So that raises the question: What's the disadvantage of an
Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a paper one? In other words, where
will it not be accepted that a paper one would.

2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

This isn't true, they are available for use with any travelcard.
However, you do need the record card to prove that you've got a
travelcard on your oystercard. (I don't know what the situation is
with weekly travelcards on Oyster and record cards). I've never had a
problem with my annual travelcard on Oyster, but that has the
associated Gold Card.

Roland Perry March 13th 09 02:04 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

In message , at 14:31:18 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
What's the disadvantage of an Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a
paper one? In other words, where will it not be accepted that a paper
one would.

2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

Ah, right. Perhaps because the venues concerned don't have Oyster
readers (to verify that you have a travelcard loaded).

Seems like quite a big glitch in the system.

Paul Terry March 13th 09 02:16 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

In message
,
writes

On 13 Mar, 13:31, Davide Trani wrote:
2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

This isn't true, they are available for use with any travelcard.
However, you do need the record card to prove that you've got a
travelcard on your oystercard. (I don't know what the situation is
with weekly travelcards on Oyster and record cards).

According to the 2for1 website:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/faq.aspx

"The 2for1 London Attractions partners DO NOT recognise Oyster Cards as
being valid accompanying rail tickets."

I've never had a problem with my annual travelcard on Oyster, but that
has the associated Gold Card.

I suspect the Gold Card makes a big difference. Just presenting an
Oyster would not be proof that it is valid for the day concerned (unless
the attraction concerned had Oyster readers).

--
Paul Terry

MIG March 13th 09 02:46 PM

On Mar 13, 10:25*am, wrote:
On 13 Mar, 07:54, MIG wrote:

[...]

The problem is not being able to get a paper travelcard at Stratford,
if that's correct, which comes from a good authority. Given the
frequency and stopping pattern, it's probably usually quicker to get
to Stratford via Liverpool Street anyway. Just not convenient with
luggage.

[email protected] March 13th 09 02:57 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

On 13 Mar, 14:16, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
writes

On 13 Mar, 13:31, Davide Trani wrote:
2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

This isn't true, they are available for use with any travelcard.
However, you do need the record card to prove that you've got a
travelcard on your oystercard. (I don't know what the situation is
with weekly travelcards on Oyster and record cards).

According to the 2for1 website:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/faq.aspx

"The 2for1 London Attractions partners DO NOT recognise Oyster Cards as
being valid accompanying rail tickets."

I've never had a problem with my annual travelcard on Oyster, but that
has the associated Gold Card.

I suspect the Gold Card makes a big difference. Just presenting an
Oyster would not be proof that it is valid for the day concerned (unless
the attraction concerned had Oyster readers).

Yes, but that is mentioning Oyster used as a rail ticket, not as a
travelcard. That's why I asked about the record card for weekly
tickets, you used to always get one of these when you bought a weekly
on Oyster, but I don't know if they stopped. The site doesn't realise
that Travelcards on oyster ARE a national rail ticket, (unlike PAYG
most of the time). It would strike me as a bit odd if you could buy a
1 day travelcard from a LU ticket on paper and it would be valid, but
a 7 day one from the same spot is invalid because it is on Oyster
(again assuming that there is a record of the travelcard purchase),
after all the prices are same whether bought from LU or National Rail.

[email protected] March 13th 09 03:05 PM

On 13 Mar, 14:46, MIG wrote:
On Mar 13, 10:25*am, wrote:

On 13 Mar, 07:54, MIG wrote:

[...]

There are National Express ticket machines which should (I'm not there
to check) sell paper 7 day travel cards. There used to be a National
Rail ticket office, but with all the works in the past years, I'm not
sure who runs all the facilities at Stratford.

MIG March 13th 09 03:15 PM

On Mar 13, 3:05*pm, wrote:
On 13 Mar, 14:46, MIG wrote:

On Mar 13, 10:25*am, wrote:

On 13 Mar, 07:54, MIG wrote:

[...]

I did wonder about machines, as I hinted in my first answer. I am not
sure when I last checked that any NR ticket machine sold seven-day
tickets. Probably years since I looked.

The staffed ticket offices at Stratford certainly seem to be run by
LU. There used to be no more than a bit of paper in one window to
indicate that you could get NR tickets at all.

Roland Perry March 13th 09 03:17 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

In message
, at
07:46:03 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:
Given the frequency and stopping pattern, it's probably usually quicker
to get to Stratford via Liverpool Street anyway. Just not convenient
with luggage.

Liverpool St is all on one level - what's the luggage issue?

Do Liverpool St sell paper travelcards?

[email protected] March 13th 09 03:28 PM

On 13 Mar, 15:15, MIG wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:05*pm, wrote:

On 13 Mar, 14:46, MIG wrote:

On Mar 13, 10:25*am, wrote:

On 13 Mar, 07:54, MIG wrote:

[...]

The machines at Harrow and Wealdstone do (standard former Network
South East model).

MIG March 13th 09 03:37 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

On Mar 13, 3:17*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
07:46:03 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:

Given the frequency and stopping pattern, it's probably usually quicker
to get to Stratford via Liverpool Street anyway. *Just not convenient
with luggage.

Liverpool St is all on one level - what's the luggage issue?

Only distance, barriers etc. Maybe "not as convenient".

Do Liverpool St sell paper travelcards?

Well I assume they must. There's a NR ticket office separate from LU,
unlike at Stratford.

Paul Terry March 13th 09 03:44 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

In message
,
writes

That's why I asked about the record card for weekly
tickets, you used to always get one of these when you bought a weekly
on Oyster, but I don't know if they stopped.

I think the current position is that record cards are only issued for
monthlies (and not even then if they are purchased online or by phone)
and for annuals.

It would strike me as a bit odd if you could buy a
1 day travelcard from a LU ticket on paper and it would be valid, but
a 7 day one from the same spot is invalid because it is on Oyster
(again assuming that there is a record of the travelcard purchase),
after all the prices are same whether bought from LU or National Rail.

I think the difficulty would be getting a record card for a 7 day: I may
be wrong, but I don't think they are available.
--
Paul Terry

Tim Roll-Pickering March 13th 09 03:47 PM

MIG wrote:

The staffed ticket offices at Stratford certainly seem to be run by
LU. There used to be no more than a bit of paper in one window to
indicate that you could get NR tickets at all.

Isn't there still a window to the outside right of the main entrance that's
NR run?

Richard J.[_3_] March 13th 09 09:41 PM

wrote:
[...]

The point that you're missing is that the 2-for-1 offers are a promotion
partly funded by the National Rail TOCs to encourage people to travel to
London on their trains. It's a loophole in that scheme that allows
someone who travelled to London by some other means, e.g. by air, to
obtain the 2-for-1 deals by going to a National Rail ticket office in
London and buying a travelcard. To be valid for 2-for-1, the travelcard
must indicate that it was bought from a National Rail TOC.

Related to this, can anyone who has seen an LU paper 1-day travelcard
recently please tell me whether it now carries the National Rail
double-arrow logo as well as the LU Roundel? I've seen photos of two
designs, one headed:

[LU roundel] [NR double-arrow] Day Travelcard

and the other one headed with a continuous repeating pattern:

....on Underground [LU roundel] London Underground [LU Roundel]
London Undergr...

Which is the current one?
--
Richard J.

[email protected] March 13th 09 10:44 PM

On Mar 13, 9:41*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Actually, I'm not missing that point at all. All travelcard revenue is
shared exactly the same way, a share to the issuer (be it LU, TOC,
newsagent), and shares to LU and ATOC. If you read the FAQ, it doesn't
say that it has to be issued by NR.

"Can I use Underground/tube only tickets and/or London Bus only
tickets?

No, except as shown below.

However if your travel ticket has an element of National Rail/train
company travel included, e.g. any type of 'paper' Travelcard, train/
tube inclusive ticket, then the answer is Yes. By way of recognition
if your travel ticket shows the Double-Arrow (or 'crows-foot')
National Rail logo you're generally safe to assume it is valid. If you
are unsure in any way please ask at your local staffed National Rail
station."

The point we are arguing about is whether a Travelcard on Oyster
counts, if you have a paper counterpart as well (different from PAYG
which definitely isn't valid). Certainly, I've never had any problem
using 2 for 1 with my LU issued Oyster Gold Card, which comes with a
paper part. It doesn't say that Travelcards on Oyster are not valid,
they are just not included in the list.

Richard J.[_3_] March 13th 09 11:32 PM

wrote:

The point we are arguing about is whether a Travelcard on Oyster
counts, if you have a paper counterpart as well (different from PAYG
which definitely isn't valid). Certainly, I've never had any problem
using 2 for 1 with my LU issued Oyster Gold Card, which comes with a
paper part. It doesn't say that Travelcards on Oyster are not valid,
they are just not included in the list.

Well, I think what it says is pretty clear:
"Can I use an Oyster card? No, except as shown below."

And "below" is (a) Freedom Pass (which is not branded as Oyster anyway)
and (b) "2FOR1 Oyster card offers", which have now ceased. I'm pleased
for you that you've managed to persuade the attractions to accept your
Oyster card and the receipt thingy as a valid rail ticket, but in view
of what the FAQ says I wouldn't be confident enough to recommend to
anyone else that they try it.

--
Richard J.

James Farrar March 14th 09 02:10 AM

Where to buy paper travelcard

"Richard J." wrote in news:BqAul.126119
:

Related to this, can anyone who has seen an LU paper 1-day travelcard
recently please tell me whether it now carries the National Rail
double-arrow logo as well as the LU Roundel? I've seen photos of two
designs, one headed:

[LU roundel] [NR double-arrow] Day Travelcard

and the other one headed with a continuous repeating pattern:

...on Underground [LU roundel] London Underground [LU Roundel]
London Undergr...

Which is the current one?

I believe the former was purchased at a ticket office/Ticket Stop and the
latter at a Tube station ticket machine.

[email protected] March 14th 09 11:17 AM

On Mar 13, 11:32*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote:
The point we are arguing about is whether a Travelcard on Oyster
counts, if you have a paper counterpart as well (different from PAYG
which definitely isn't valid). Certainly, I've never had any problem
using 2 for 1 with my LU issued Oyster Gold Card, which comes with a
paper part. It doesn't say that Travelcards on Oyster are not valid,
they are just not included in the list.

Well, I think what it says is pretty clear:
"Can I use an Oyster card? No, except as shown below."

And "below" is (a) Freedom Pass (which is not branded as Oyster anyway)
and (b) "2FOR1 Oyster card offers", which have now ceased. *I'm pleased
for you that you've managed to persuade the attractions to accept your
Oyster card and the receipt thingy as a valid rail ticket, but in view
of what the FAQ says I wouldn't be confident enough to recommend to
anyone else that they try it.

Did you actually bother to read the section of the FAQ that I quoted
as well. This clearly states that an underground ticket is valid if it
includes National Rail validity. An LU issued Annual Gold Card is such
as ticket and as it comes with a paper
counterpart, with the prerequiste Double Arrow logo, meets the
requirements.

and from the first FAQ

"By way of recognition most travel tickets show the Double-Arrow (or
'crows-foot') National Rail logo, then you're safe to assume it is
valid. If you are unsure in any way please ask at your local staffed
National Rail station."

The actual terms and conditions (section 4) don't mention Oyster at
all. http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.aspx. I
think that the Oyster restriction only came in last year and before
then, Oyster wasn't even mentioned. It will be interesting to see what
happens next year, once Oyster PAYG is available on all National Rail
within the zones.

MIG March 14th 09 03:12 PM

On Mar 14, 2:10*am, James Farrar wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in news:BqAul.126119
:

Related to this, can anyone who has seen an LU paper 1-day travelcard
recently please tell me whether it now carries the National Rail
double-arrow logo as well as the LU Roundel? *I've seen photos of two
designs, one headed:

[LU roundel] [NR double-arrow] Day Travelcard

and the other one headed with a continuous repeating pattern:

...on Underground *[LU roundel] *London Underground *[LU Roundel]
London Undergr...

Which is the current one?

I believe the former was purchased at a ticket office/Ticket Stop and the
latter at a Tube station ticket machine.

For variety, I have one from 9 February which has, along the top, "[LU
roundel] Docklands Light Railway" three times.

It has no NR logo anywhere.

But I think the difference is more likely to be based on whether it
comes from a machine, which would have only one kind of ticket blank.
The logo isn't likely to be printed at the time of purchase, so the
question is whether LU ticket offices have different ticket blanks for
travelcards.

Roland Perry March 14th 09 03:34 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

In message
, at
08:12:01 on Sat, 14 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:
The logo isn't likely to be printed at the time of purchase, so the
question is whether LU ticket offices have different ticket blanks for
travelcards.

Do you mean the self-service machines at LU ticket offices? (Do these
even sell weekly travelcards?)

I though the whole point of this discussion was that if you bought a
Travelcard at an LU ticket window they forced you to accept it on an
Oyster card.

MIG March 14th 09 04:07 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

On Mar 14, 3:34*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
08:12:01 on Sat, 14 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:

The logo isn't likely to be printed at the time of purchase, so the
question is whether LU ticket offices have different ticket blanks for
travelcards.

Do you mean the self-service machines at LU ticket offices? (Do these
even sell weekly travelcards?)

I though the whole point of this discussion was that if you bought a
Travelcard at an LU ticket window they forced you to accept it on an
Oyster card.

This bit was about the design of one-day travelcards, which they won't
put on Oyster.

I am assuming (haven't tried lately) that LU wouldn't refuse to sell a
one-day travelcard to someone who needed to use NR, and so would have
to sell a paper ticket, as they would to extend a paper travelcard etc.

[email protected] March 14th 09 04:20 PM

On Mar 14, 3:12*pm, MIG wrote:
[...]

The logos did use to be printed on ticket machine travelcards at the
time of issue, as the blanks were the same regardless of the ticket
type. It was in the same ink as the rest of the ticket information, so
grey rather than the white (for NR) or red/pink (for LU) when printed
as part of the paper ticket.

James Farrar March 14th 09 10:55 PM

Where to buy paper travelcard

wrote in
:

The logos did use to be printed on ticket machine travelcards at the
time of issue, as the blanks were the same regardless of the ticket
type. It was in the same ink as the rest of the ticket information, so
grey rather than the white (for NR) or red/pink (for LU) when printed
as part of the paper ticket.

I definitely remember a roundel being printed on a NR machine-bought
travelcard; I don't recall the NR logo being printed on LU machine-bought
travelcards.

[email protected] March 16th 09 12:41 PM

[...]

No, you're missing the point that a season Travelcard, legally, *is* a
National Rail ticket (whereas an Oyster PAYG card, obviously, isn't).
The media on which said Travelcard is printed is irrelevant.

(in any case, my annual Travelcard is on Oyster, but was issued by
First Capital Connect, which seems to go against your original
conjecture...).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

David A Stocks March 16th 09 02:30 PM

wrote in message

No, you're missing the point that a season Travelcard, legally, *is* a
National Rail ticket (whereas an Oyster PAYG card, obviously, isn't).
The media on which said Travelcard is printed is irrelevant.

Not entirely. I once had an Annual Hove to all zones Gold travelcard which
was printed (by mistake) on rail-only Gold Card ticket stock. A (jobsworth)
bus driver refused to accept it despite it quite clearly showing that it was
valid in all zones.

D A Stocks