Old March 29th 09, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Southern station shenanigans!

Today, I attempted to buy a ticket to cover a trip that required an
extension to Zone 4 to change trains.

In this day of barriers, threatening fare evasion posters and
potentially falling revenues, what did Southern at West Norwood
recommend?

"Don't bother buying a ticket. If there's any inspectors just tell
them that you didn't know that Norwood Junction is in Zone 4. Tell
them that you travel this way every day and you didn't know it was
different on Sundays. That should be OK".

Is this OK? I don't think so and have told Southern "Customer"
"Services".
It took a lot of persuasion for her to actually sell the ticket, which
was met by a 'I'm only trying to help'. Anyway, this helpful lady then
overcharged me.

My journey is WEST NORWOOD - BROCKLEY via Norwood Junction.
So she sold me a BOUNDARY ZONE 3 to NORWOOD JUNCTION, and then back to
get me back into Zone 3 for the train to Brockley.

Of course, I now know that a BOUNDARY ZONE 3 to SYDENHAM covers
journeys via Norwood Junction at £1.15, but what is the policy about
connecting outside your travelcard zone when the timetable dictates?