Old April 3rd 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line - always DOO?

"MIG" wrote in message
On Apr 2, 1:36 pm, wrote:

Sliding cab doors came in with 1973 stock I think. Before that
(including 1960 stock) it was door handles and hinges, so nothing to
interlock.

C69 stock has sliding doors and pre-dated the 1973 tube stock..

Old April 3rd 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Do the train operators require to drive manually on occasion in order to
keep in practice and if so is this done as part of normal service operation
pretty much at a time of the drivers' own choosing?

My recollection is that trains reversing at sidings along the route
(i.e.Victoria, Kings Cross) or entering or leaving service from / to
Northumberland Park depot (or turning on the depot reception tracks at Seven
Sisters) are driven in and out of the siding / depot by the ATO in coded
manual. So the answer to the above poster's question is "yes" and "no".
There is a requirement, but it is at clearly designated times, not at the
whim of the ATO.

If there was a failure of the train which meant it could only be moved in
coded manual on the "main line" then the train would operate out of service
until it could be stabled and the fault corrected. (Similar to over ride of
the 10mph circuit on the 1973 tube stock.)

Unlike the other Westinghouse fitted stock, driving the 1967 stock in coded
manual does not include a requirement to test the operation of the air brake
in the same way that was (still is?) required by those Westinghouse trains
at penultimate stations on the journey (Kings Cross on the Circle).

Old April 3rd 09, 07:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 21:15:11 +0100, Jeremy Double
wrote:

A European Safety directive I believe, which required the fitting of
safety slides (even though the passenger door is only 4ft above the
ground) and oxygen masks (even though it is an unpressurised airliner
and never flies high enough to require oxygen)!

Surely not masks? The KLM/VLM Fokker 50s don't have masks, I believe
as they don't fly high enough to need them. (This causes the safety
demonstration to be oddly short).

This is what I was told by one of the organisers while waiting for the
time to check in for the flight...

I've only flown once on a Fokker 50 about 20 years ago (although I've
flown on F27s slightly more recently), so I can't make comparisons.
--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at
Old April 3rd 09, 10:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Jeremy Double wrote:

I've only flown once on a Fokker 50 about 20 years ago (although I've
flown on F27s slightly more recently), so I can't make comparisons.

Are many F27s still flying? I recall them from the same era as the
Viscounts, all of which appear to be long gone, alas.

I particularly liked the Fokker F27 "Friendship" because of the high
wing which meant great views from every window. If I recall correctly,
as a child I flew from Speke to Dublin via Ronaldsway on Aer Lingus in
the 1960s. My return flight from Aldergrove to Speke was in a Cambrian
Airways (BEA) Viscount.

Old April 3rd 09, 10:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 3, 8:09*am, "J Lynch" wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

On Apr 2, 1:36 pm, wrote:

Sliding cab doors came in with 1973 stock I think. *Before that
(including 1960 stock) it was door handles and hinges, so nothing to
interlock.

C69 stock has sliding doors and pre-dated the 1973 tube stock..

Ah true, but nothing at the time of 1960 and 1967 stock. I was only
thinking tube.

Old April 3rd 09, 10:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

"rail" wrote in message

Air Aurigny, or its successor, still operate one between Southampton and
Alderney, or were till recently.

Quick follow up, they still operate a fleet of 8 apparently.

--

Is that because Alderney, or the Bailiwick of Guernsey, is not in the
European Union, and thus not subject to the same operating rules?

Old April 3rd 09, 10:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
wrote:

"rail" wrote in message

Air Aurigny, or its successor, still operate one between Southampton and
Alderney, or were till recently.

Quick follow up, they still operate a fleet of 8 apparently.

--

Is that because Alderney, or the Bailiwick of Guernsey, is not in the
European Union, and thus not subject to the same operating rules?

Could be, or possibly they are to small (17 seats IIRC) and fly too low
(service ceiling is 4000m) to come under the regs. Certainly the Channel
Isles are not in the EU.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old April 3rd 09, 10:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:39:55 +0100, Recliner wrote

And I can't remember when I last saw a first generation Ford Escort from
the same era.

My mate a mile up the valley from here has one in his garage. It's a Mk1
Mexico with wide arches and extra lights

Old April 3rd 09, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Stimpy" wrote in message
. co.uk
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:39:55 +0100, Recliner wrote

And I can't remember when I last saw a first generation Ford Escort
from the same era.

My mate a mile up the valley from here has one in his garage.

Of course, if it spends most/all of its time in his garage it rather
proves my point about any other surviving 1960s machines being treated
as preserved equipment, rather than being in full-time use like the 1967
stock.

Old April 3rd 09, 12:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:
"Stimpy" wrote in message
.co.uk
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:39:55 +0100, Recliner wrote

And I can't remember when I last saw a first generation Ford Escort
from the same era.

My mate a mile up the valley from here has one in his garage.

Of course, if it spends most/all of its time in his garage it rather
proves my point about any other surviving 1960s machines being treated
as preserved equipment, rather than being in full-time use like the 1967
stock.

It is hardly valid to compare a car, built to a design life of ~60,000
miles and ~5 years, with a train, built to a design life of many
millions of miles and ~30 years.

In addition, the train is built in a way that allows major refurbishment
to further extend life, whereas that is difficult with a car that was
built down to a price whose major components all tend to begin to fail
at around the same sort of age/mileage.