London Banter

-   -   Tube departure boards (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7879-tube-departure-boards.html)

martin April 7th 09 04:33 PM

Tube departure boards

Why can http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...de=WGN&Go =Go
tell me when the next three Westbound trains are due at Wood Green,
but the board on the platform only tells me the destination of the
next train as it's pulling into the platform?

(In anticipation of the above link breaking, see also http://tinyurl.com/cemshc
)

Offramp April 7th 09 05:59 PM

Tube departure boards

The most dangerous TDBs are at Angel. They are at ground level.
People see the TDB; if it says Morden 1 mins, Morden 8 mins etc, then
people go mental trying to get to the platform in one minute.
They get the bends,.

Neil Williams April 7th 09 07:03 PM

Tube departure boards

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:33:30 -0700 (PDT), martin
wrote:

Why can http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...de=WGN&Go =Go
tell me when the next three Westbound trains are due at Wood Green,
but the board on the platform only tells me the destination of the
next train as it's pulling into the platform?

Don't know, but the Aldgate one knows about Circle Line trains that
the Tower Hill one doesn't.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Ian F. April 7th 09 10:32 PM

Tube departure boards

"Offramp" wrote in message

The most dangerous TDBs are at Angel. They are at ground level.
People see the TDB; if it says Morden 1 mins, Morden 8 mins etc, then
people go mental trying to get to the platform in one minute.

At Balham, when the ground level board says a train is due in one minute,
it's often already gone!

Ian

Phil Richards April 8th 09 07:32 AM

Tube departure boards

martin wrote:
Why can http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...de=WGN&Go =Go
tell me when the next three Westbound trains are due at Wood Green,
but the board on the platform only tells me the destination of the
next train as it's pulling into the platform?

(In anticipation of the above link breaking, see also http://tinyurl.com/cemshc
)

I asked LUL a similar question a couple of years ago. Turnpike Lane also
shows just one Westbound train only once it has left Wood Green.
Apparently because trains can be turned round at Wood Green, they get
slotted in trains between trains originating further back (i.e.
Cockfosters etc.) Consequently the departure boards only reflect
destinations once they have departed Wood Green.

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:

[email protected] April 8th 09 08:45 AM

Tube departure boards

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:32:24 +0100
Phil Richards wrote:
Apparently because trains can be turned round at Wood Green, they get
slotted in trains between trains originating further back (i.e.
Cockfosters etc.) Consequently the departure boards only reflect
destinations once they have departed Wood Green.

I suppose you can't argue with that, what with them being called
departure boards :) Now if there were called arrival boards on the other
hand...

B2003