London Banter

-   -   District curiosity today (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7949-district-curiosity-today.html)

[email protected] April 14th 09 01:05 AM

District curiosity today

Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit surprised to
see a District train pull up for High St Kensington. was this special
service for the Easter engineering works? I can't say i've seen any Ealing
Broadway to High St trains before.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 14th 09 05:38 AM

District curiosity today

On Apr 14, 2:05*am, wrote:
Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit surprised to
see a District train pull up for High St Kensington. was this special
service for the Easter engineering works? I can't say i've seen any Ealing
Broadway to High St trains before.

There are a few early morning / late evening services that run direct.
Try searching on the TfL journey planner for Ealing Broadway - High
Street Kensington at around 06.00 or 23.45. They can also run this way
when there are problems on the route via the City.

Steve Fitzgerald April 14th 09 08:19 AM

District curiosity today

In message ,
writes

Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit surprised to
see a District train pull up for High St Kensington. was this special
service for the Easter engineering works? I can't say i've seen any Ealing
Broadway to High St trains before.

All trains from the west were terminating at Embankment due to
engineering works. I can't see it being able to cope with all the
trains that would normally be terminating at Tower Hill/Upminster so
some would need to go somewhere else. HSK is a logical one.

I pass a lot when I'm working early mornings as trains from Ealing
Common depot reverse at HSK to go to Wimbledon.

[email protected] April 14th 09 11:05 AM

District curiosity today

In article
,
() wrote:

On Apr 14, 2:05*am, wrote:
Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit
surprised to see a District train pull up for High St Kensington. was
this special service for the Easter engineering works? I can't say
i've seen any Ealing Broadway to High St trains before.

There are a few early morning / late evening services that run direct.
Try searching on the TfL journey planner for Ealing Broadway - High
Street Kensington at around 06.00 or 23.45. They can also run this way
when there are problems on the route via the City.

It was 4 in the afternoon when I was there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

James Farrar April 14th 09 02:37 PM

District curiosity today

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote in
:

In message ,
writes

Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit
surprised to see a District train pull up for High St Kensington. was
this special service for the Easter engineering works? I can't say
i've seen any Ealing Broadway to High St trains before.

All trains from the west were terminating at Embankment due to
engineering works. I can't see it being able to cope with all the
trains that would normally be terminating at Tower Hill/Upminster so
some would need to go somewhere else. HSK is a logical one.

The last few times that there's been no service east of Embankment they've
wun Ealing Broadway - HSK and Richmond - Embankment. Not sure about the
Wimbledon branch.

Graham Harrison[_2_] April 14th 09 05:18 PM

District curiosity today

wrote in message
On Apr 14, 2:05 am, wrote:
Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit surprised to
see a District train pull up for High St Kensington. was this special
service for the Easter engineering works? I can't say i've seen any Ealing
Broadway to High St trains before.

There are a few early morning / late evening services that run direct.
Try searching on the TfL journey planner for Ealing Broadway - High
Street Kensington at around 06.00 or 23.45. They can also run this way
when there are problems on the route via the City.

---------

It used to be the case that there was at least one run during the day to
turn over the Olympia shuttle set.

[email protected] April 14th 09 11:27 PM

District curiosity today

In article ,
(Graham Harrison) wrote:

wrote in message
On Apr 14, 2:05 am, wrote:
Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit
surprised to see a District train pull up for High St Kensington.
was this special service for the Easter engineering works? I can't
say i've seen any Ealing Broadway to High St trains before.

There are a few early morning / late evening services that run direct.
Try searching on the TfL journey planner for Ealing Broadway - High
Street Kensington at around 06.00 or 23.45. They can also run this way
when there are problems on the route via the City.

---------

It used to be the case that there was at least one run during the
day to turn over the Olympia shuttle set.

Not at 4 pm on Easter Monday, though!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 15th 09 08:31 AM

District curiosity today

On Apr 15, 12:27*am, wrote:
In article ,

(Graham Harrison) wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 14, 2:05 am, wrote:
Sitting at Acton Town on a Piccadilly train today I was a bit
surprised to see a District train pull up for High St Kensington.
was this special service for the Easter engineering works? I can't
say i've seen any Ealing Broadway to High St trains before.

There are a few early morning / late evening services that run direct.
Try searching on the TfL journey planner for Ealing Broadway - High
Street Kensington at around 06.00 or 23.45. They can also run this way
when there are problems on the route via the City.

---------

It used to be the case that there was at least one run during the
day to turn over the Olympia shuttle set.

Not at 4 pm on Easter Monday, though!

Yes, but as there was Engineering work on the City line ('problems on
the route via the City'), it is not surprising that Ealing services
were running to High Street Kensington.

As an aside, some of the Ealing - High St Ken services used to be
formed of C Stock which then took up Wimbleware services. However, I
don't know if this is still the case.

MIG April 15th 09 11:33 AM

District curiosity today

On 15 Apr, 09:31, wrote:
On Apr 15, 12:27*am, wrote:

In article ,

(Graham Harrison) wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 14, 2:05 am, wrote:
[...]

don't know if this is still the case.- Hide quoted text -

Many years ago, in the middle of the day, I saw C stock doing a run
from Richmond to Edgware Road.

Maybe there had been a temporary blockage on the Wimbledon route and
it was being fed back in, having not blocked Earl's Court.