London Banter

-   -   The Garage at Highbury Corner (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7991-garage-highbury-corner.html)

John Rowland April 21st 09 01:23 AM

The Garage at Highbury Corner

I just noticed that "The Garage" gig venue seems to have possibly been built
in a style which is sympathetic to the former train station next door, and
it occurred that the clue might be in the name. Is it a former bus garage?

Paul Terry April 21st 09 07:52 AM

The Garage at Highbury Corner

In message , John Rowland
writes

I just noticed that "The Garage" gig venue seems to have possibly been built
in a style which is sympathetic to the former train station next door, and
it occurred that the clue might be in the name. Is it a former bus garage?

I think it was built as a billiards hall, with a dance hall above. I
suspect the 'Garage' is a reference to what was once a large garage next
door (where Majestic Wine now is), which I vaguely remember being called
Lex (so possibly part of the same company that built the famous Lex
Garage in Soho).
--
Paul Terry

Jim Brittin April 21st 09 08:28 AM

The Garage at Highbury Corner

In article ,
says...
In message , John Rowland
writes

I just noticed that "The Garage" gig venue seems to have possibly been built
in a style which is sympathetic to the former train station next door, and
it occurred that the clue might be in the name. Is it a former bus garage?

I think it was built as a billiards hall, with a dance hall above. I
suspect the 'Garage' is a reference to what was once a large garage next
door (where Majestic Wine now is), which I vaguely remember being called
Lex (so possibly part of the same company that built the famous Lex
Garage in Soho).

Yes, the Temperance Billiards Hall, and yes, it was the Lex garage.