Old May 3rd 09, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cockfosters reminds me of.......where?

Here's a question for the "team"!

Despite being a pretty serious fan of Holden architecture, I've had my
first ever visit to Cockfosters today! [1]

I was well impressed (I think it's up there with Arnos Grove and
Southgate) but although I liked the horticulture on the (partially
infilled?) central bay platform, I'm not sure it would meet his or Frank
Pick's design requirements!

My reason for posting here though is that the station *really* reminded
me of somewhere else.......but where? Is there another very similar
terminal station somewhere on the system? Or on another metro
somewhere in Europe? I really did have the strangest feeling of déjà
vu; perhaps it's just having seen this one in so many pictures but if
anyone can enlighten me or suggest what else it reminds me of, I'd be
very grateful!

[1] I was on my way to do a guided tour of Finsbury Park and Stroud
Green, a rather esoteric commission but at least it gave me the chance
to way lyrical about the might-have-beens of the mid 20th century New
Works Programme and a former tramway stables site in Seven Sisters Road.
Happily I missed the later traffic chaos there caused by the "chemical
incident".
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old May 3rd 09, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A cross between "Threads" and "The Equalizer"?
Old May 3rd 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote on 03 May 2009 19:42:15 ...
On Sun, 3 May 2009 19:14:47 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Here's a question for the "team"!

Despite being a pretty serious fan of Holden architecture, I've had my
first ever visit to Cockfosters today! [1]

I was well impressed (I think it's up there with Arnos Grove and
Southgate) but although I liked the horticulture on the (partially
infilled?) central bay platform, I'm not sure it would meet his or Frank
Pick's design requirements!

My reason for posting here though is that the station *really* reminded
me of somewhere else.......but where? Is there another very similar
terminal station somewhere on the system?

Uxbridge?

Yes, I was going to say that. Compare these two photos:

Uxbridge: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30523851@N00/18522691
Cockfosters:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...s_interior.jpg

--
Richard J.
Old May 3rd 09, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Offramp writes
A cross between "Threads" and "The Equalizer"?

You have a good memory! :-)

Old May 3rd 09, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:

Here's a question for the "team"!

Despite being a pretty serious fan of Holden architecture, I've had my
first ever visit to Cockfosters today! [1]

I was well impressed (I think it's up there with Arnos Grove and
Southgate) but although I liked the horticulture on the (partially
infilled?) central bay platform, I'm not sure it would meet his or Frank
Pick's design requirements!

My reason for posting here though is that the station *really* reminded
me of somewhere else.......but where? Is there another very similar
terminal station somewhere on the system?

Uxbridge?

Oddly enough, that's another part of the Piccadilly I've not been to
(well, not be train, I have by bus), so it's not there!

Old May 3rd 09, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 May 2009, Offramp wrote:

A cross between "Threads" and "The Equalizer"?

Oh, not this again!

tom

--
The term Nihilartikel for a fictitious entry originated at the German
Wikipedia but was later identified as a hoax. -- Wikipedia
Old May 3rd 09, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
wrote:

Here's a question for the "team"!

Despite being a pretty serious fan of Holden architecture, I've had
my first ever visit to Cockfosters today! [1]

I was well impressed (I think it's up there with Arnos Grove and
Southgate) but although I liked the horticulture on the (partially
infilled?) central bay platform, I'm not sure it would meet his or
Frank Pick's design requirements!

My reason for posting here though is that the station *really*
reminded me of somewhere else.......but where? Is there another
very similar terminal station somewhere on the system?

Uxbridge?

Yes, I was going to say that. Compare these two photos:

Uxbridge: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30523851@N00/18522691
Cockfosters:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...s_interior.jpg

Thanks. You know, I think I *have* inside Uxbridge station after all.
I remember the Middlesex coat of arms in the stained glass. Goodness
knows when it was, though!

Thanks, everyone.