Old May 7th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default More Piccys from the IOW

On Thu, 07 May 2009 07:39:45 +0100, rail
wrote:

Yes, 1929/1931 stock (class 485 in BR parlance). I'll post some photos
later.

I'm not picking on you specifically, Graeme, but everybody is giving
different dates for the standard stock.

The earliest cars refurbished and shipped over were built in 1923, the
latest in 1931. The step plate on every door was engraved with the
maker's name and date of building. AFAIR there were 2 1923 cars (with a
central door pillar)

God, I'm getting old - I learnt all about standard stock when it was
running on the Central and Piccadilly lines (plus the Northern City line
for the pedants).

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

Old May 7th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"rail" wrote in message
In message
"DW downunder" noname wrote:

"rail" wrote in message
In message
rail wrote:

[snip]

I've now posted the promised pics of the Standard Stock (class 485) on
the
island. Also a couple of shots of the 1938 stock in Network South
East
livery.

Doh! That should be:

http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/collection/1694014/index.html

And it gets us:

404: Page Not found

[snip]

Brain is obviously in neutral today, third time lucky:

Isle of Wight tube trains at:

http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/c1694014.html

Hong Kong Trams at:

http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/c1693996.html

Or follow the links from the page in my sig.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Thanks Graeme - 3rd try lucky

The links worked this time.

Out of all of them, I reckon the BR NSE livey worked the best. Now, did you
ever get the 485/6s in BR NSE livery? My day out at the IoW was on a Network
Day - 3 Quid for the entire NSE on a Sunday - a few IC125s excepted - that'd
make a TOC blanche. And I'm pretty sure the Standard stock cars were in the
current NSE livery.

Regards

David

Old May 7th 09, 04:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"DW downunder" noname wrote in message

"rail" wrote in message
In message
wrote:

"rail" wrote in message
In message
wrote:

Have they thought of perhaps running some sort of shuttle service
from
Ryde Pier Head to Ryde Esplanade, allowing passengers to transfer to
other rolling stock? My guess is that this would not really be
feasible, however.

There used to be a tramway shuttle that did exactly that back in the
dim
and distant. The tracks were between the railway line proper and the
roadway out to the pierhead.

Something like the Hythe Pier Railway?

IIRC both utilised petrol engined traction.

You've still got corosion problems for a tram

You know, a horse-drawn wooden tram (I originally wrote wooden horse tram,
hmmm ... ) would be very much a touristy, novelty thing.

Already thought of.
The pier was opened in 1814 and extended in 1833, but attracted little
traffic from Cowes because of the long walk. Eventually the Pier Company
built a horse tramway, which opened between Pier Head and Esplanade in 1864
and was extended to St John's Road (then the terminus of the railway) in
1871. The railway between St John's Road and Pier Head was built jointly by
the LBSCR and LSWR and opened in 1880, though neither of the mainland
companies ran trains on it, which were operated by the Isle of Wight and the
Isle of Wight Central companies. The railway extension ruined the pier
company. and its property passed to the Southern Railway in 1924, which also
absorbed at Grouping the IoW railway companies. The SR converted the tramway
to petrol tram operation, but the tramway was closed, soon after the railway
was electrified, in 1969.

Peter

Old May 7th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
"DW downunder" noname wrote:

[snip]

Thanks Graeme - 3rd try lucky

The links worked this time.

Out of all of them, I reckon the BR NSE livey worked the best. Now, did you
ever get the 485/6s in BR NSE livery?

Unfortunately not, despite living just over the water I seldom made a trip to
the island for leisure purposes and business trips were always into Cowes.

My day out at the IoW was on a
Network Day - 3 Quid for the entire NSE on a Sunday - a few IC125s
excepted - that'd make a TOC blanche. And I'm pretty sure the Standard
stock cars were in the current NSE livery.

Never seen any pictures like that.

Old May 7th 09, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Yes, 1929/1931 stock (class 485 in BR parlance). I'll post some photos
later.

I'm not picking on you specifically, Graeme,

Feel free :-)

but everybody is giving
different dates for the standard stock.

The earliest cars refurbished and shipped over were built in 1923, the
latest in 1931. The step plate on every door was engraved with the
maker's name and date of building. AFAIR there were 2 1923 cars (with a
central door pillar)

Thanks for that, I was going from the notes I made for my slide catalogue at
the time, probably taken from the relevant door sills on the stock I
travelled on.

God, I'm getting old - I learnt all about standard stock when it was
running on the Central and Piccadilly lines (plus the Northern City line
for the pedants).

I remember seeing it parked up at Acton works in the early 60s but don't
recall ever seeing it in service.

Old May 8th 09, 12:41 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On May 5, 8:40*am, "Pat O'Neill" wrote:
http://patrickoneill204.fotopic.net/p58004145.html

"Perfick", beautiful. These remind me of my teenage years in London.
The '38 stock was truly iconic.

This has to have been one of the MOST interesting, informative threads
that has appeared on misc.transit.urban-transit in a, well, l-o-n-g
time.

There's a North American expression of "c...'s age" but that's no
longer politically correct.
Old May 8th 09, 01:01 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"rail" wrote in message
In message
"DW downunder" noname wrote:

[snip]

Thanks Graeme - 3rd try lucky

The links worked this time.

Out of all of them, I reckon the BR NSE livey worked the best. Now, did
you
ever get the 485/6s in BR NSE livery?

Unfortunately not, despite living just over the water I seldom made a trip
the island for leisure purposes and business trips were always into Cowes.

My day out at the IoW was on a
Network Day - 3 Quid for the entire NSE on a Sunday - a few IC125s
excepted - that'd make a TOC blanche. And I'm pretty sure the Standard
stock cars were in the current NSE livery.

Never seen any pictures like that.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Now you've got me thinking. Did I have a camera then? .... But now I
remember, I bought a nice AF auto camera for my Euro trip a coupla years
later, so no - I didn't snap any either, drat!! -

David

Old May 8th 09, 07:18 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Nobody" wrote

This has to have been one of the MOST interesting, informative threads
that has appeared on misc.transit.urban-transit in a, well, l-o-n-g
time.

Perhaps because it has been cross-posted - uk.railway is full of such

Old May 8th 09, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , DW
downunder writes

Unfortunately, both the LUL A62 and ex-BR Class 313 stock are too tall
for the tunnel at Ryde St John's Road, whose tight clearances define the
structure gauge for the Island Line.

Fair enough. But would it actually be feasible to bring in 67Ts stock
or would too many modifications indeed be required? If that is the
case, I noticed that some of Victoria Line trains' current make ups
consist of 72Ts stock. Would there be enough of them for the Island
Line's requirements?

And what about the 83Ts, which used to run on the Jubilee, as an
option? Those actually might be good for the Island line, because I
believe that they required guards.

None left.

Not true - there's at least a set anna arf in Sarf Harrer sidings. Now
if they ever turn a wheel in anger again is an exercise for the reader.