Old May 7th 09, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A living bridge

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Batman55 wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...

Perhaps the right solution is just to build a deck on top of an
existing railway bridge - they have well-defined height needs, and so
can safely be built on, and wouldn't really suffer from having things
on top, since trains don't have sunroofs. Blackfriars bridge would be
the obvious one, linking the south bank and the edge of the City.
Waterloo bridge is even better located, but already has those
footbridges. Cannon Street bridge is the widest (although perhaps not
wider then Blackfriars after it's widened), which would be good, is
really well located for posh flats near the City, and you've at least
got Borough at the south end.

I believe most of the rail bridges show an unfortunate tendency to sink
into the clay, hence the removal of some tracks and sidings over the
years. Dumping more buildings on top might not be ideal!

On the contrary, it's a cheap way to build underground railway lines!

tom

--
When I see a man on a bicycle I have hope for the human race. --
H. G. Wells

Old May 9th 09, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 7 May 2009, John Rowland wrote:

John Rowland wrote:

I sent two single sides of A4 to Boris at the beginning of February,
snip Another month has now passed, and I have still had no reply
from either letter.

Bizarrely, 7 minutes after I posted the above, I received an emailed
reply from London Buses to my letter! Much of it is about preventing
crime and looks cut and pasted. It doesn't even mention the other two
problems which my idea was supposed to address, and it doesn't
attempt to suggest that my idea is a bad one. Just the usual "Since
we didn't invent it, it can't be a good idea". Why are people who
work in transport so stationary?

Probably because your letters never got anywhere near anyone who was
actually in any kind of position to do anything about them.

I sent them to Boris!

Old May 9th 09, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

I sent two single sides of A4 to Boris at the beginning of February,
snip Another month has now passed, and I have still had no reply
from either letter.

Bizarrely, 7 minutes after I posted the above, I received an emailed
reply from London Buses to my letter! Much of it is about preventing
crime and looks cut and pasted. It doesn't even mention the other two
problems which my idea was supposed to address, and it doesn't
attempt to suggest that my idea is a bad one. Just the usual "Since
we didn't invent it, it can't be a good idea". Why are people who
work in transport so stationary?

Probably because your letters never got anywhere near anyone who was
actually in any kind of position to do anything about them.

I sent them to Boris!

And i suppose you think that if you send a letter to Father Christmas, it
gets airmailed to Lapland as well?

tom

--
an optical recording release. copyright digitally mastered. .,