London Banter

-   -   The past... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8221-past.html)

Tom Anderson May 24th 09 12:06 PM

The past...

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they can
enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around 3:50, and a
lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

tom

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

--
Re-enacting the future

John Rowland May 24th 09 12:37 PM

The past...

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

The past is like a foreign country they do things differently
there.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they
can enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around
3:50, and a lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Thanks. At the risk of being pedantic, the pictured MSF broadcasting array
was about 100 miles away from the NPL which was, and is, in Teddington.

Sailor May 24th 09 01:09 PM

The past...

On 24 mai, 14:06, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:
The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they can
enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around 3:50, and a
lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

tom

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

--
Re-enacting the future

It seemed to me that more than half of the chaps had 4 speed derailier
gear and one or two a double clanger. As it said , the station was
Rugby, as were the vlf transmitters. The intriging thing was that a
special train was laid on with special cycle cars and a buffet! It
must have been very ancient days -- all those porters at Rugby! more
than the entire WCML these days.

MatSav May 24th 09 01:25 PM

The past...

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

The past is like a foreign country they do things differently
there.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway
so they
can enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL
around
3:50, and a lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Thanks. At the risk of being pedantic, the pictured MSF
broadcasting array was about 100 miles away from the NPL which
was, and is, in Teddington.

Indeed it is - I work there!

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn, in
Cumbria.

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

--
MatSav

tony sayer May 24th 09 02:43 PM

The past...

In article , MatSav
scribeth thus

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

The past is like a foreign country they do things differently
there.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway
so they
can enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL
around
3:50, and a lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Thanks. At the risk of being pedantic, the pictured MSF
broadcasting array was about 100 miles away from the NPL which
was, and is, in Teddington.

Indeed it is - I work there!

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn, in
Cumbria.

Why's that down for maintenance so much?...

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

I would too but I need to cart a load of spares and test equipment
around all the time being on call most all of the week;!..
--
Tony Sayer

MatSav May 24th 09 04:02 PM

The past...

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MatSav
scribeth thus

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn, in
Cumbria.

Why's that down for maintenance so much?...

The broadcasting is sub-contracted to BT. Tx Maintenance is their
call, not NPL's, so I can't tell you why it's down so often.
However, 72 hours in about 17,000 hours for scheduled mainenance
(less than 0.5% of the available hours) doesn't seem excessive to
me.

--
MatSav

MatSav May 24th 09 04:04 PM

The past...

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot |
com wrote in message
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
MatSav
scribeth thus

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn, in
Cumbria.

Why's that down for maintenance so much?...

The broadcasting is sub-contracted to BT...

Correction - VT.

--
MatSav

[email protected] May 24th 09 04:23 PM

The past...

In article
,

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:
[...]

1955 they said. LMS stock by the look of it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

NM May 24th 09 04:24 PM

The past...

On 24 May, 14:25, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot |
pipex | dot | com wrote:

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

Why? are they a particularly poor paying employer?

MatSav May 24th 09 04:47 PM

The past...

pipex | dot | com wrote:

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of
the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

Why? are they a particularly poor paying employer?

No. The availability of facilities for cyclists (such as showers
and secure parking) and the location (on the edge of Bushy Park)
make access by bike attractive. Plus, believe it or not, some
people actually enjoy cycling.

--
MatSav

[email protected] May 24th 09 04:55 PM

The past...

On 24 May, 13:06, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:
The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

That's from a film that I've progected somewhere, long ago. The Go-
Between?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they can
enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around 3:50, and a
lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

tom

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

--
Re-enacting the future

Thank you fot that; this must be one of the few BTF films that I've
never seen.

[email protected] May 24th 09 04:56 PM

The past...

On 24 May, 13:37, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Thanks. At the risk of being pedantic, the pictured MSF broadcasting array
was about 100 miles away from the NPL which was, and is, in Teddington.

Just look at the size of the tuning coil needed for this very low
frequency!

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...o/index2.shtml

tony sayer May 24th 09 05:08 PM

The past...

In article , MatSav
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MatSav
scribeth thus

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn, in
Cumbria.

Why's that down for maintenance so much?...

The broadcasting is sub-contracted to BT.

Shouldn't that be VT comms?..

Tx Maintenance is their
call, not NPL's, so I can't tell you why it's down so often.
However, 72 hours in about 17,000 hours for scheduled mainenance
(less than 0.5% of the available hours) doesn't seem excessive to
me.

Well we're on NPL's mailing list and it seem to happen quite a lot..
Haven't actually counted the intervals but seems every couple of
months..
--
Tony Sayer

MatSav May 24th 09 05:47 PM

The past...

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MatSav
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
MatSav
scribeth thus

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn,
in
Cumbria.

Why's that down for maintenance so much?...

The broadcasting is sub-contracted to BT.

Shouldn't that be VT comms?..

Later corrected in another post. It was BT until 2007.

Tx Maintenance is their
call, not NPL's, so I can't tell you why it's down so often.
However, 72 hours in about 17,000 hours for scheduled
mainenance
(less than 0.5% of the available hours) doesn't seem excessive
me.

Well we're on NPL's mailing list and it seem to happen quite a
lot..
Haven't actually counted the intervals but seems every couple
of
months..

It is. The scheduled maintenance planner can be found at
http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technol...es/msf-outages.

--
MatSav

tony sayer May 24th 09 06:17 PM

The past...

In article , MatSav
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MatSav
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
MatSav
scribeth thus

[...]

http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technol.../products-and-
services/msf-outages.

Around every three months then. What do they do with it?.

Surely the TX chain is duplicated so perhaps they have to do something
with the aerial system?...
--
Tony Sayer

Christopher A. Lee May 24th 09 06:35 PM

The past...

On Sun, 24 May 2009 09:55:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Thank you fot that; this must be one of the few BTF films that I've
never seen.

The New York Central made a similar set of films. One of which used
Barwick Green as the music which got played at completely
inappropriate times - the other club members (Kingston Model Railroad
Club, New York) couldn't understand why I kept bursting into laughter.

Roger Merriman May 24th 09 09:10 PM

The past...

pipex | dot | com wrote:

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

Why? are they a particularly poor paying employer?

have you walked near the NPL? if you do, the answer is fairly clear.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Capital to Coast

Frank Mander May 24th 09 10:02 PM

The past...

Having moved to the area in the mid 1980's I find it amazing that, apart
from the entrance to Rugby Midland station, very few of the scenes depicted
are much different today. The shot of the cyclists leaving Railway Terrace
in Rugby and turning into Clifton Road could have been filmed yesterday
rather than 54 years ago. It was also most amusing to see so many cyclists
obeying then (then) rule of no cycling on the canal towpath at Foxton locks.
Bit different to nowadays where you take your life in your own hands when
walking through a blind bridge hole. The other amazing thing is that the
special train must have stood at Rugby platform 1 for a hell of a long time
to get all those bikes off.

Richard Brooks May 24th 09 10:42 PM

The past...

Tom Anderson said the following on 24/05/2009 13:06:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

So much better on Volume Two of the BFIs British Transport Collection,
See Britain by Train!

Mizter T May 24th 09 11:25 PM

The past...

pipex | dot | com wrote:

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

Why? are they a particularly poor paying employer?

Are you a particularly dickheaded poster?

John Rowland May 25th 09 02:28 AM

The past...

MatSav wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

the NPL which was, and is, in Teddington.

Indeed it is - I work there!

Ah! I have an idea for how the NPL could use the spare bits in the MSF
signal to improve the service... Do you think they might be up for that, or
are they a Not-Invented-Here organisation? (I guess the answer to that
should be emailed rather than, er, broadcast.) I'd give the NPL carte
blanche to use my encoding free of charge, obviously, although any equipment
manufacturers who wanted to decode the spare bits using my algorithm should
have to pay me a royalty.

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

So that's about 0.1 kilocycles.

Tony Dragon May 25th 09 07:19 AM

The past...

John Rowland wrote:
MatSav wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
the NPL which was, and is, in Teddington.

Indeed it is - I work there!

Ah! I have an idea for how the NPL could use the spare bits in the MSF
signal to improve the service... Do you think they might be up for that, or
are they a Not-Invented-Here organisation? (I guess the answer to that
should be emailed rather than, er, broadcast.) I'd give the NPL carte
blanche to use my encoding free of charge, obviously, although any equipment
manufacturers who wanted to decode the spare bits using my algorithm should
have to pay me a royalty.

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

So that's about 0.1 kilocycles.

Do you mean 100 Hz

--

Tony Dragon

Andrew Heenan May 25th 09 09:39 AM

The past...

"Tony Dragon" wrote ...
John Rowland wrote:
MatSav wrote:
Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

So that's about 0.1 kilocycles.

Do you mean 100 Hz

On my math, up to 112.5 Hz - but if they cycle regularly, most will just
feel Nmb

Tony Polson[_2_] May 25th 09 12:52 PM

The past...

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they can
enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around 3:50, and a
lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

Strange to think that some of the younger cyclists featured in the film,
say around the age of 20, would now be in their mid-70s.

Stephen Furley May 25th 09 01:27 PM

The past...

On 25/5/09 13:52, in article ,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

Strange to think that some of the younger cyclists featured in the film,
say around the age of 20, would now be in their mid-70s.

I always think the same thing when watching old documentary film. To me,
the '40s seems old, but the 50s seems recent. In the '50s the GPO
introduced the new 'modern' 706 telephones. The railways were being
modernised, Britain was starting to recover after the long years of war, and
the decade started with the Festival of Britain which always seemed to me,
though I'm too young to remember it, to be the start of the new Britain.

When I was at school we used to have Wednesday afternoon film shows. After
a short tome I found myself running these, and later programming them.
There was a combination of films which I'd run every year or two; the first
was a colour film, I can't remember the title, about the Festival of
Britain, and I'd follow this with the Dennis Mitchell BBC production
'Morning in the Streets', from 1958. It was absolutely stunning to see the
difference between the Festival, at the start of the decade, and the images
of Liverpool, Stockport and Salford, depicted in 'Morning in the Streets',
almost at the end of it. I'd not seen the film for many years, but last
October while in Bradford for a few days I went to see Terence Davies' new
film 'Of Time and the City' at the Pictureville. I saw the film again a
week or so later, at a screening at the Phoenix Cinema, East Finchley,
attended by Terence Davies. Some of the archive material he has used in his
film was taken from 'Morning in the Streets', I recognised it at once,
though the music which Terence Davies has used with it in 'Of time and the
City' gives it a very different feel.

The BBC have recently put the whole of 'Morning in the Streets' on their web
site, it's not a very good copy, but it's still well worth watching. I wish
the BBC would release the film on DVD, or even better , someone would donate
me a nice 35mm print of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte...tory_morning_o
n_the_streets_feature.shtml

The link to the film itself is just above the second picture.

Recently, one of the schoolgirls seen in the film has been in contact with
the BBC; she must be close to retirement age now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte...ce_morningonth
estreets_feature.shtml

Many people have never seen this film, the BBC seldom show it for some
reason, but it's a real gem, and those that have seen it remember it, even
decades later.

Such an interesting period, the '50s.

Christopher A. Lee May 25th 09 01:52 PM

The past...

On Mon, 25 May 2009 14:27:04 +0100, Stephen Furley
wrote:

On 25/5/09 13:52, in article ,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

Strange to think that some of the younger cyclists featured in the film,
say around the age of 20, would now be in their mid-70s.

I always think the same thing when watching old documentary film. To me,
the '40s seems old, but the 50s seems recent. In the '50s the GPO
introduced the new 'modern' 706 telephones. The railways were being
modernised, Britain was starting to recover after the long years of war, and
the decade started with the Festival of Britain which always seemed to me,
though I'm too young to remember it, to be the start of the new Britain.

I remember it. I was only four and my father took me. While most of it
has gone from memory after all these years, there was the Post Office
railway, a Britannia (William Shakespeare) in a special finish for the
festival, the giant kaleidoscope in the Shot tower, the Skylon, the
Dome of Discovery etc.

The Britannia was extra special because we'd seen it a few days
earlier from the allotment in the park between Harrow & Wealdstone and
Kenton being pulled on its way there.

My fading memory tells me it was in some kind of highly polished brown
but nobody has been able to confirm this.

Part of the festival was the amusement park at Battersea - with the
Emmet Railway. I loved this. I think the amusements stayed there after
the festival was over because we went there quite often.

Stephen Furley May 25th 09 02:26 PM

The past...

On 25/5/09 14:52, in article ,
"Christopher A. Lee" wrote:

Part of the festival was the amusement park at Battersea - with the
Emmet Railway. I loved this. I think the amusements stayed there after
the festival was over because we went there quite often.

I believe parts of this remained until quite recent times, maybe 15 years or
so ago, though I never went there. Another television documentary film,
'The River's Tale', Had some scenes filmed there I seem to remember.

There are still a few other remains of the Festival, and others which though
now gone survived for a long time; the Festival Hall is the main one of
course; there was a flagstaff on the South Bank in quite recent times, but
I'm not sure if it's still there. The long dis-used refreshment rooms, I
think that's what they were, at Broad Street Stations still had a sticker on
the windows with the Festival logo until the station was demolished.

The original 1951 prints of most of the 3-D films shown at the 'Telekinema'
still exist, and are screened from time to time, as the original
three-channel stereo magnetic tracks are now 'lost'. Other, non-3D, films
were also shown at the Festival. One of them, 'We've Come a Long Way',
about the design of oil tankers was later used by the BBC as one of their
'Trade Test Colour Films' in the '60s. I've actually got two prints of this
film, one 16mm, the other 35mm. It wasn't until I saw it mentioned in an
exhibition about the Festival at the National Film Theatre in 2001 that I
realised that it had been shown there.

A number of buildings were given architectural awards at the Festival. One
of these was the bus station at Newbury Park, just outside the Underground
station. This carries a plaque with the Festival on it's arch, though it is
in rather poor condition.

Stephen Furley May 25th 09 02:30 PM

The past...

On 25/5/09 15:26, in article , "Stephen
Furley" wrote:

The original 1951 prints of most of the 3-D films shown at the 'Telekinema'
still exist, and are screened from time to time, as the original
three-channel stereo magnetic tracks are now 'lost'.

Sorry, a few words somehow went missing; that should have read:

The original 1951 prints of most of the 3-D films shown at the 'Telekinema'
still exist, and are screened from time to time, though with only mono
optical sound, as the original three-channel stereo magnetic tracks are now
'lost'.

MatSav May 25th 09 02:32 PM

The past...

Christopher A. Lee wrote:
I always think the same thing when watching old documentary
film.
To me, the '40s seems old, but the 50s seems recent...
and the decade started with the Festival of
Britain ...

Part of the festival was the amusement park at Battersea - with
the
Emmet Railway. I loved this. I think the amusements stayed
there after
the festival was over because we went there quite often...

Indeed they did.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batters...ersea_fun_fair
explains. I was there just a week before the collapse of the
roller-coaster, and the very thought of that puts me off using
one ever again.

I was also at Lulworth Cove, Dorset, on a Geology field trip -
just a week before a land slip killed a teacher and pupils (also
on a field trip). I'm seeing a pattern :-(

--
MatSav

rail May 25th 09 03:12 PM

The past...

In message
Stephen Furley wrote:

On 25/5/09 14:52, in article ,
"Christopher A. Lee" wrote:

Part of the festival was the amusement park at Battersea - with the Emmet
Railway. I loved this. I think the amusements stayed there after the
festival was over because we went there quite often.

I believe parts of this remained until quite recent times, maybe 15 years
or so ago, though I never went there. Another television documentary
film, 'The River's Tale', Had some scenes filmed there I seem to remember.

There are still a few other remains of the Festival,

One is the RT bus that was displayed at the Festival. It reappeared at the
Millenium Dome. Anyone know where it is normally to be found these days?

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

bookieb May 25th 09 03:34 PM

The past...

On May 24, 1:06 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

snip
Tom Anderson wrote:

snip
Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

tom

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

--
Re-enacting the future

Unbelay that! Depsite a similarly unnecessary number of gears, I've
been reduced to walking a couple of times too.
Evidently I'm not made of cast-iron either. snif

bookieb.

Tony Polson[_2_] May 25th 09 03:56 PM

The past...

Christopher A. Lee wrote:

Part of the festival was the amusement park at Battersea - with the
Emmet Railway.

It was the Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway designed by Rowland
Emett. Emett was so fed up of people mis-spelling his name that he no
longer corrected people, nor cared, and many references therefore have
it wrong.

Brimstone[_7_] May 25th 09 04:36 PM

The past...

MatSav wrote:

Indeed they did.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batters...ersea_fun_fair
explains. I was there just a week before the collapse of the
roller-coaster, and the very thought of that puts me off using
one ever again.

I was also at Lulworth Cove, Dorset, on a Geology field trip -
just a week before a land slip killed a teacher and pupils (also
on a field trip). I'm seeing a pattern :-(

Would you be kind enough to post a list of your movements for the next ten
years please. This is purely to give everyone else the chance to be
somewhere different. :-)

Michael R N Dolbear May 25th 09 05:43 PM

The past...

Tom Anderson wrote

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had

anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they

still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a

bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

Surely even those who incline that way would regard a Sturmey-Archer
four-speed as more advanced ?

--
Mike D

Tony Polson[_2_] May 25th 09 06:54 PM

The past...

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had

anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they

still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a

bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

Surely even those who incline that way would regard a Sturmey-Archer
four-speed as more advanced ?

More advanced, yes, but not in keeping with tradition. ;-)

MatSav June 8th 09 09:52 PM

The past...

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
MatSav wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote
in
message ...

the NPL which was, and is, in Teddington.

Indeed it is - I work there!

Ah! I have an idea for how the NPL could use the spare bits in
the MSF signal to improve the service... Do you think they
might be up for that, or are they a Not-Invented-Here
organisation? (I guess the answer to that should be emailed
rather than, er, broadcast.)

With apologies for having missed your suggestion - NPL are a
Government-Owned, Company-Operated business - so I suspect they'd
welcome an opportunity to increase their profit. However, there
are constraints on what can be broadcast in particulat parts of
the spectrum - and I think the MSF frequency is prescribed by
statute, so it can't carry anything else. But I could be wrong,
of course. Try e-mailing them directly - contact details
available from their web site, http://www.npl.co.uk/time

--
MatSav

Charles Ellson June 8th 09 10:35 PM

The past...

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 22:52:33 +0100, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage |
at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
MatSav wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote
in
message ...

the NPL which was, and is, in Teddington.

Indeed it is - I work there!

Ah! I have an idea for how the NPL could use the spare bits in
the MSF signal to improve the service... Do you think they
might be up for that, or are they a Not-Invented-Here
organisation? (I guess the answer to that should be emailed
rather than, er, broadcast.)

With apologies for having missed your suggestion - NPL are a
Government-Owned, Company-Operated business - so I suspect they'd
welcome an opportunity to increase their profit. However, there
are constraints on what can be broadcast in particulat parts of
the spectrum - and I think the MSF frequency is prescribed by
statute, so it can't carry anything else. But I could be wrong,
of course. Try e-mailing them directly - contact details
available from their web site, http://www.npl.co.uk/time

the coding is described in :-
http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/MSF_Time_Date_Code.pdf

If I'm reading various bits of info correctly the standard used by MSF
(UK) and DCF (DE) is an AFNOR (Association Française de
Normalisation)/ISO standard derived from an IRIG (Inter-Range
Instrumentation Group (USA) ) standard originally used for rocket
range testing purposes. It looks like there might now also be some ITU
involvement :-
http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/oth...040001MSWE.doc

The MSF frequency IMU will be set by international agreement along
with other radio frequency allocations.

Mizter T June 8th 09 11:36 PM

The past...

On Jun 8, 11:35*pm, Charles Ellson wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 22:52:33 +0100, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage |
at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote:

[snip]

[...]

-http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/oth/0A/08/R0A080000040001MSWE.doc

After I read the above, the old Motown lyrics raced through my mind...
"War, what is it good for..."