London Banter

-   -   Bikes on Thameslink (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/825-bikes-thameslink.html)

James Bentall October 11th 03 06:42 AM

Bikes on Thameslink

Customer services is permanently engaged or busy and I can't find the
information on their website.

Does anyone know if it is permitted to take bikes on the Thameslink
service offpeak between Kings Cross Thameslink and London Bridge? I've
got to get 5 12 year olds and bikes across London, and I don't really
fancy cycling with them! I know I can put them on the circle line, but
dread to think how long it would take to go half way around it...

Cheers,

James

Graham J October 11th 03 08:46 AM

Bikes on Thameslink

Customer services is permanently engaged or busy and I can't find the
information on their website.

It would be nice if it were first hand information on their website but
failing that http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tocs/thameslink.htm#6 ought to be
reliable information.

Does anyone know if it is permitted to take bikes on the Thameslink
service offpeak between Kings Cross Thameslink and London Bridge? I've
got to get 5 12 year olds and bikes across London, and I don't really
fancy cycling with them! I know I can put them on the circle line, but
dread to think how long it would take to go half way around it...

It seems it is indeed allowed.

G.

Helen Deborah Vecht October 11th 03 01:54 PM

Bikes on Thameslink

(Huge)typed

AFAIK, bicycles are not allowed on the Circle Line.

Oh yes they are! Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria, Jubilee &
Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the Metropolitan,
Hammersmith & City, District and the Circle line. They are allowed on
the overground sections of tube lines off-peak.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Dave Newt October 11th 03 02:47 PM

Bikes on Thameslink

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

(Huge)typed

AFAIK, bicycles are not allowed on the Circle Line.

Oh yes they are! Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria, Jubilee &
Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the Metropolitan,
Hammersmith & City, District and the Circle line. They are allowed on
the overground sections of tube lines off-peak.

Detailed list he

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/bicycle.asp

Spyke October 11th 03 04:01 PM

Bikes on Thameslink

In message , Huge
writes

Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria, Jubilee &
Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the Metropolitan,
Hammersmith & City, District

All of those I understand. The trains are, well, train sized.

and the Circle line.

This I do not understand.

The Circle line uses exactly the same type of train (C Stock) as the
Hammersmith & City and some District services. Also, the Circle shares
pretty much all of its track and all its stations, with at least one of
Met, District and H&C.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

Richard J. October 11th 03 04:10 PM

Bikes on Thameslink

Huge wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht writes:
(Huge)typed

AFAIK, bicycles are not allowed on the Circle Line.

Oh yes they are!

Are they? That's a pity. Why should people be allowed to transport
large, sharp, oily, dirty pieces of machinery for free in confined
spaces with fare-paying members of the public?

Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria,
Jubilee & Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the
Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, District

All of those I understand. The trains are, well, train sized.

But so are the trains on the Circle line, which are identical to those on
H&C and some on the District. They've got more standing space (or space for
bikes) than the Metropolitan trains.
--
Richard J.

James Bentall October 11th 03 07:26 PM

Bikes on Thameslink

In article ,
"Graham J" wrote:

Customer services is permanently engaged or busy and I can't find the
information on their website.

It would be nice if it were first hand information on their website but
failing that http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tocs/thameslink.htm#6 ought to be
reliable information.

I had seen that, and noted that it talked about 'trains that arrived in
London', but didn't necessarily talk about going through London! The
consensus seems to be that it will be ok though - thank you to everyone
for their help.

James

Clive R Robertson October 11th 03 07:42 PM

Bikes on Thameslink

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:54:24 +0100, "Steve Naïve"
wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in
:

(Huge)typed

AFAIK, bicycles are not allowed on the Circle Line.

Oh yes they are! Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria, Jubilee &
Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the Metropolitan,
Hammersmith & City, District and the Circle line. They are allowed on
the overground sections of tube lines off-peak.

And not allowed on DLR, despite what the LU barrier staff say at Stratford,
even though you check with them before buying a ticket and need to get to
Greenwich.

Nor on Tramlink.

Note that restrictions do not apply to *folded* bicycles. I personally
(as a Brompton owner) would suggest using a cover in the rush hours,
to avoid negative feelings from other passengers. (I have a cover, but
don't bother with it off-peak.)

Regards,

Clive

--
The fastest AS/400 programmer in the west! | Note -- spamtrap in use.
| Use the Reply-to address.
For details of a West London National Trust property, |
visit
http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ | What -- me worry?

Roland Perry October 12th 03 10:47 AM

Bikes on Thameslink

In article , Huge
writes
Does anyone know if it is permitted to take bikes on the Thameslink
service offpeak between Kings Cross Thameslink and London Bridge?

There are stairs/escalators to get to the street at both stations. Will
your kids be able to carry their bikes up/down them?

There's just a long ramp down from the platforms at London Bridge. No
stairs if you exit the main station entrance (into the bus station).

Access at KX-TL is a nightmare, though. Assuming the OP is arriving at
KX mainline by WAGN, it's a long walk on narrow pavements and very busy
roads, congested station entrance, then two flights of stairs down to
the platform (no lift or escalator).
--
"now, the thing you type on and the window you stare out of are the same thing"

Robin May October 12th 03 12:01 PM

Bikes on Thameslink

(Huge) wrote the following in:

Bicycles are not allowed on the _underground_ sections
of 'deep tube' lines (Northern, Central, Piccadilly, Victoria,
Jubilee & Bakerloo) at any time but are allowed off-peak on the
Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, District

All of those I understand. The trains are, well, train sized.

and the Circle line.

This I do not understand.

The Circle line trains are pretty much the same size as the District
and Metropolitan line trains, and are the same trains as the
Hammersmith and City.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.