London Banter

-   -   Bus Route W19 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8263-bus-route-w19.html)

Phil Richards May 28th 09 06:42 PM

Bus Route W19

We are in the process of buying a house in Walthamstow on the W19 route.
Having done plenty of Google Street Viewing etc. to "explore" the area I
am curious as to how the W19 bus makes its way to the end of the route
in the industrial areas around Argall Avenue. Have a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/kp67z8

And you'll see the bus stops yet no apparent connection between from
South Access Road. Zooming as far as you can with satellite view shows
the route blocked off.

Any ideas?

--
Phil Richards, London, UK

Christopher Griffin May 28th 09 07:52 PM

Bus Route W19

Phil Richards wrote:
We are in the process of buying a house in Walthamstow on the W19 route.
Having done plenty of Google Street Viewing etc. to "explore" the area I
am curious as to how the W19 bus makes its way to the end of the route
in the industrial areas around Argall Avenue. Have a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/kp67z8

And you'll see the bus stops yet no apparent connection between from
South Access Road. Zooming as far as you can with satellite view shows
the route blocked off.

Any ideas?

If you go back a bit, you'll see there's a route through the council's
refuse disposal site. The entrance is just opposite the playing fields
in South Access Road.

There's a similar arrangement on a bus route that goes through Newham,
near the North Circular in East Ham.

Mizter T May 28th 09 08:49 PM

Bus Route W19

On May 28, 8:52*pm, Christopher Griffin wrote:

Phil Richards wrote:
We are in the process of buying a house in Walthamstow on the W19 route..
Having done plenty of Google Street Viewing etc. to "explore" the area I
am curious as to how the W19 bus makes its way to the end of the route
in the industrial areas around Argall Avenue. Have a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/kp67z8

And you'll see the bus stops yet no apparent connection between from
South Access Road. Zooming as far as you can with satellite view shows
the route blocked off.

Any ideas?

If you go back a bit, you'll see there's a route through the council's
refuse disposal site. *The entrance is just opposite the playing fields
in South Access Road.

There's a similar arrangement on a bus route that goes through Newham,
near the North Circular in East Ham.

Aha, mystery solved! There are a set of barriers at a point on that
'road' through the council's which will prevent it being used as a rat-
run, as only legit vehicles will be allowed to pass. I managed to get
a bus to show up on the road on the "Bird's eye view" on
maps.live.com, but I can't seem to replicate that at the moment -
anyway that shows the route well (far better than Google Maps and it's
Street View function).

OK, so there's an example of some sort of similar arrangement
somewhere in East Ham - anyone any idea of what that is and how that
works?

Also, where else are there such arrangements? I can think of the
barrier at the Chelsea Harbour complex on Harbour Road (which leads
between Lots Road and Townmead Rd/ Imperial Rd) in Chelsea/ Sand's
End, it's right underneath the bridge that carries the West London
Line. You can get through if you're a permit holder (presumably that
essentially equates to residents), a cabbie or are driving/on the
route C3 bus.

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious. There was a "bus
gate" (as the sign called it) at the western tip of Great Tower Street
at the junction with Byward Street for westbound traffic only, as said
traffic is only supposed to be buses as it's a bus lane only in this
direction (the route 15 goes this way). However I'm not to sure this
gate still exists, as it doesn't appear to be visible on Street View -
perhaps policing it by CCTV suffices. But anyway I was thinking more
about buses that have to pass barriers on non-public streets.

Phil Richards May 28th 09 09:12 PM

Bus Route W19

Christopher Griffin wrote:
Phil Richards wrote:
We are in the process of buying a house in Walthamstow on the W19
route. Having done plenty of Google Street Viewing etc. to "explore"
the area I am curious as to how the W19 bus makes its way to the end
of the route in the industrial areas around Argall Avenue. Have a look
at:

http://tinyurl.com/kp67z8

And you'll see the bus stops yet no apparent connection between from
South Access Road. Zooming as far as you can with satellite view shows
the route blocked off.

Any ideas?

If you go back a bit, you'll see there's a route through the council's
refuse disposal site. The entrance is just opposite the playing fields
in South Access Road.

Ah I see now! Presumably not available to other traffic and why the W19
does not run after about 19:00 when presumably the refuse disposal site
is closed.

--
Phil Richards, London, UK

John Rowland May 29th 09 03:09 AM

Bus Route W19

Mizter T wrote:

OK, so there's an example of some sort of similar arrangement
somewhere in East Ham - anyone any idea of what that is and how that
works?

It's somewhere near Jenkins Lane, but I can't remember more than that.

Other examples are the Bollo Lane entrance to Chiswick Business Park, and I
think the east side of Stockley Park.

Why they haven't introduced something similar for the 232 between Friern
Bridge Retail Park and Regal Drive is beyond me. Diverting the bus through
the gated road would avoid the permanent 20 minute traffic jam in the
eastbound NCR, and take it a lot nearer to the retail park too.

Peter Smyth May 29th 09 08:11 AM

Bus Route W19

Phil Richards wrote:
[...]

This is the 323 from Mile End to Canning Town which passes through an
industrial estate just east of Bromley-by-Bow station.

Peter Smyth

John Rowland May 29th 09 11:34 AM

Bus Route W19

John Rowland wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

OK, so there's an example of some sort of similar arrangement
somewhere in East Ham - anyone any idea of what that is and how that
works?

It's somewhere near Jenkins Lane, but I can't remember more than that.

Oh, they seem to have got rid of that one.

Thomas Covenant[_2_] May 30th 09 12:23 PM

Bus Route W19

On Fri, 29 May 2009 04:09:18 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

OK, so there's an example of some sort of similar arrangement
somewhere in East Ham - anyone any idea of what that is and how that
works?

It's somewhere near Jenkins Lane, but I can't remember more than that.

It used to be route 325, which ran through the Folkstone Road Depot,
but this stopped at least three years ago, maybe longer.

Martin Rich[_2_] May 31st 09 10:39 PM

Bus Route W19

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Other examples are the Bollo Lane entrance to Chiswick Business Park, and
I think the east side of Stockley Park.

Why they haven't introduced something similar for the 232 between Friern
Bridge Retail Park and Regal Drive is beyond me. Diverting the bus through
the gated road would avoid the permanent 20 minute traffic jam in the
eastbound NCR, and take it a lot nearer to the retail park too.

Of course another similar example from the moderately distant past was the
use of the Heathrow Cargo Tunnel by public buses. The description of route
285 at http://www.londonbusroutes.net/photos/285.htm suggests that this
finished in 1990, though my recollection (contrary to that web page) is of
the 285 using the cargo tunnel quite a few years before terminal 4 opened.
The A1 and A2 buses from central London certainly used the cargo tunnel in
the early days of terminal 4

Martin