London Banter

-   -   LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike] (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8325-lu-strike-possible-knock-effects.html)

Mizter T June 6th 09 11:55 AM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On Jun 5, 11:28 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:47:05 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Jun 5, 8:31 pm, Paul Weaver wrote:

On 5 June, 20:20, Paul Corfield wrote:

Other than the above I know nothing else and would suggest it is prudent
to have a contingency plan in place if you absolutely have to get around
London on the 11th.

A bike is a perfectly adequate way of getting around zones 1 and 2

Getting a bike to zones 1 and 2 could present more of an issue though.

True but the OP has not indicated what their particular requirements
are. It might be there is some clever way of getting about that he has
not considered. I appreciate there are no guarantees about being able
to get on trains, DLR or buses but there may be options by being
"unconventional" that people would not routinely consider. People also
need to bear in mind that a number of former NR stations are now LUL
managed and therefore might well be affected - the former Silverlink
stations! This creates new problems and restrictions - especially in NW
London.

Good point about the ex-Silverlink stations now under LUL management -
that's all stations from Harrow & Wealdstone to Queen's Park with the
exception of Willesden Jn, Kew Gardens, Gunnersbury, plus there's the
other stations where LU now "manage" the Overground platforms - i.e.
West Brompton, Highbury & Islington, Blackhorse Road.

Then there's stations where LUL manages the main bit of the station
though not the National Rail platforms - e.g. West Ham, Seven Sisters,
Stratford.

I'm guessing that LU would deploy what staff they had so as to cover
these major interchange stations, but maybe there wouldn't be enough
suitably qualified staff to cover the Harrow & Wealdstone to Queen's
Park stretch? That said, weren't some of these stations unmanned for
at least some of the day in the Silverlink era?

And what about Chiltern Railways - there's the question of whether
they could call at their normal LU stations - i.e. Amersham, Chalfont
& Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Harrow-on-the-Hill - but is
there also any question about whether they could actually run - are
the LU signallers going on strike too? Even if they could call at
those stations.

Mizter T June 6th 09 02:23 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On Jun 6, 1:05*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 04:55:47 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:28 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Err I thought Gunnersbury and Kew Gardens were with LU now.

That's what I said - but re-reading it, I see it wasn't at all clear -
the exception I was speaking of was simply Willesden Jn on the H&W to
Queen's Park stretch of the DC lines - Kew Gardens and Gunnersbury
were just meant to be in the list of LUL managed stations.

Then there's stations where LUL manages the main bit of the station
though not the National Rail platforms - e.g. West Ham, Seven Sisters,
Stratford.

Correct. *Tottenham Hale in terms of the ticket office but there is
independent access to the NR platforms, similar applies to Walthamstow
Central.

Well of course the NR side of Walthamstow Central can operate quite
independently as the ticket offices aren't in the LU bit (of course
you know all this very well!). At Tottenham Hale there's at least one
if not two NR ticket machines outside the LU building in the covered
area near the platforms - NXEA could just send some RPIs up there to
sell tickets.

I'm guessing that LU would deploy what staff they had so as to cover
these major interchange stations, but maybe there wouldn't be enough
suitably qualified staff to cover the Harrow & Wealdstone to Queen's
Park stretch? That said, weren't some of these stations unmanned for
at least some of the day in the Silverlink era?

I doubt the ex Silverlink stations could run unmanned today as I believe
there have been changes to the safety case etc. *Not 100% certain on
this point.

Which is an interesting follow-on discussion in and of itself - though
I hesitate to follow that line of discussion without being in full
possession of the facts.

And what about Chiltern Railways - there's the question of whether
they could call at their normal LU stations - i.e. Amersham, Chalfont
& Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Harrow-on-the-Hill - but is
there also any question about whether they could actually run - are
the LU signallers going on strike too? Even if they could call at
those stations.

[Sorry, unfinished sentence alert! I'll finish this point below...]

It's all RMT staff so that includes the signal staff so even if ASLEF
drivers predominate on a line then it could be as in the past where lack
of signal staff mean few if any trains run.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

As I was going to say before I interrupted myself(!)... Even if they
(Chiltern Railway) could call at those stations (i.e. the LU stations
on the Aylesbury route), they might not want to as their trains could
end up being overrun. But if there's no signallers, then they wouldn't
be able to run a service at all.

(I suppose Chiltern could possibly run a Harrow-on-the-Hill to
Marylebone shuttle if a few non-striking LU signallers could be found
- though are there any crossovers south of HotH?)

[For those reading this thread on utl, sorry for the cross-posting
confusion - I've x-posted two separate parts of a uk.railway thread to
utl, hence the somewhat non-sequiter nature of how this appears in
utl.]

Mizter T June 6th 09 03:53 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On Jun 6, 3:48*pm, MIG wrote:

On 6 June, 15:23, Mizter T wrote:

[snip]

(I suppose Chiltern could possibly run a Harrow-on-the-Hill to
Marylebone shuttle if a few non-striking LU signallers could be found
- though are there any crossovers south of HotH?)

There aren't.

I'd like to say 'well in that case they can run two trains in steam'
on each line, but I'm sure there'd be problems with trying to treat
two non-reversible lines as reversible!

MIG June 6th 09 04:23 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On 6 June, 16:53, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 6, 3:48*pm, MIG wrote:

On 6 June, 15:23, Mizter T wrote:

[snip]

(I suppose Chiltern could possibly run a Harrow-on-the-Hill to
Marylebone shuttle if a few non-striking LU signallers could be found
- though are there any crossovers south of HotH?)

There aren't.

I'd like to say 'well in that case they can run two trains in steam'
on each line, but I'm sure there'd be problems with trying to treat
two non-reversible lines as reversible!

Actually, my mistake, there is a trailing crossover at Neasden, but I
don't think it would help.

MIG June 6th 09 04:29 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On 6 June, 17:23, MIG wrote:
On 6 June, 16:53, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 6, 3:48*pm, MIG wrote:

On 6 June, 15:23, Mizter T wrote:

[snip]

(I suppose Chiltern could possibly run a Harrow-on-the-Hill to
Marylebone shuttle if a few non-striking LU signallers could be found
- though are there any crossovers south of HotH?)

There aren't.

I'd like to say 'well in that case they can run two trains in steam'
on each line, but I'm sure there'd be problems with trying to treat
two non-reversible lines as reversible!

Actually, my mistake, there is a trailing crossover at Neasden, but I
don't think it would help.

Oh ang on though, if they used platform 1 at HotH, I think there may
be a crossover. Not sure if it isn't just a track crossing to/from
the Metropolitan or if it leads to/from the up Chiltern track as well.

[email protected] June 6th 09 05:20 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On Jun 6, 5:29*pm, MIG wrote:
On 6 June, 17:23, MIG wrote:

On 6 June, 16:53, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 6, 3:48*pm, MIG wrote:

On 6 June, 15:23, Mizter T wrote:

[snip]

(I suppose Chiltern could possibly run a Harrow-on-the-Hill to
Marylebone shuttle if a few non-striking LU signallers could be found
- though are there any crossovers south of HotH?)

There aren't.

I'd like to say 'well in that case they can run two trains in steam'
on each line, but I'm sure there'd be problems with trying to treat
two non-reversible lines as reversible!

There's no access for Down train to the Up Harrow at any point beyond
Marylebone itself, so there'd be no way of running such services with
the main Chiltern route open.

Actually, my mistake, there is a trailing crossover at Neasden, but I
don't think it would help.

Unfortunately, that's on the Marylebone side of the junction and is
almost certainly not signalled from Up trains from the Down Harrow
line.

Oh ang on though, if they used platform 1 at HotH, I think there may
be a crossover. *Not sure if it isn't just a track crossing to/from
the Metropolitan or if it leads to/from the up Chiltern track as well.

I can't remember if this crossover can be used from Up departures from
Platform 1 at Harrow. My memory tells me that there is no signal for
this route. What I can't remember is if the crossover from the NB Fast
to the Platform 1 just passes over the intervening Up line or whether
there is pointwork in the Up line allowing access.

asdf June 8th 09 11:38 PM

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:20:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Oh ang on though, if they used platform 1 at HotH, I think there may
be a crossover. *Not sure if it isn't just a track crossing to/from
the Metropolitan or if it leads to/from the up Chiltern track as well.

I can't remember if this crossover can be used from Up departures from
Platform 1 at Harrow. My memory tells me that there is no signal for
this route. What I can't remember is if the crossover from the NB Fast
to the Platform 1 just passes over the intervening Up line or whether
there is pointwork in the Up line allowing access.

There isn't pointwork - it's one of those things that I think is
referred to as a diamond crossing.

Then again, all the signalling in that area (and for some distance to
the east of Harrow, even on the NR lines) is LU-operated anyway. Or at
least the signals look like LU ones. So LU signallers would be needed
in any case (and if any were available, the trains could just reverse
using the trailing crossover to the west of Harrow).

Besides, in this age of can't-be-bothered railway operations, even
Chiltern would have to be absolute saints to run a Harrow-Marylebone
shuttle under such circumstances, what with the far easier option on
the table of just cancelling everything.

[email protected] June 9th 09 01:40 PM

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:20:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Oh ang on though, if they used platform 1 at HotH, I think there may
be a crossover. *Not sure if it isn't just a track crossing to/from
the Metropolitan or if it leads to/from the up Chiltern track as well.

I can't remember if this crossover can be used from Up departures from
Platform 1 at Harrow. My memory tells me that there is no signal for
this route. What I can't remember is if the crossover from the NB Fast
to the Platform 1 just passes over the intervening Up line or whether
there is pointwork in the Up line allowing access.

There isn't pointwork - it's one of those things that I think is
referred to as a diamond crossing.

Thanks, I though it probably was, but couldn't remember.

Then again, all the signalling in that area (and for some distance to
the east of Harrow, even on the NR lines) is LU-operated anyway. Or at
least the signals look like LU ones. So LU signallers would be needed
in any case (and if any were available, the trains could just reverse
using the trailing crossover to the west of Harrow).

That's true.

Besides, in this age of can't-be-bothered railway operations, even
Chiltern would have to be absolute saints to run a Harrow-Marylebone
shuttle under such circumstances, what with the far easier option on
the table of just cancelling everything.

Chiltern have run such shuttles in the past, when there has been
engineering work in the Wembley area. They reversed using the
crossover north/west of the station as you suggested.

MIG June 9th 09 01:49 PM

On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:
On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:20:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Oh ang on though, if they used platform 1 at HotH, I think there may
be a crossover. *Not sure if it isn't just a track crossing to/from
the Metropolitan or if it leads to/from the up Chiltern track as well.

I can't remember if this crossover can be used from Up departures from
Platform 1 at Harrow. My memory tells me that there is no signal for
this route. What I can't remember is if the crossover from the NB Fast
to the Platform 1 just passes over the intervening Up line or whether
there is pointwork in the Up line allowing access.

There isn't pointwork - it's one of those things that I think is
referred to as a diamond crossing.

Thanks, I though it probably was, but couldn't remember.

It can't be that simple though, because it has to allow for
Metropolitan trains in both directions, doesn't it? So there must be
something from the up Chiltern to the Met as well as the diamond from
the Met to the down Chiltern, even if nothing from platform 1 to the
up Chiltern?

[email protected] June 9th 09 03:41 PM

On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:
On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

[...]

Platform 1 is only accessible from the Down Chiltern and the NB Met
fast, via the diamond crossing, heading north (to the NB Met fast),
with no access heading south without a shunt. Platform 2 only has
access to the Up Chiltern, heading south from the SB Met fast, or the
NB Met fast heading north via the trailing crossover. There is no
access to other Met line tracks (i.e. the both southbound, NB slow or
the Uxbridge lines). Met line trains only use Platform 1 heading
north, from the NB fast or platform 2 reversing from SB to NB. There
are no other Met line possibilities, with the current layout.

Martin Deutsch June 9th 09 03:46 PM

On Jun 6, 12:55*pm, Mizter T wrote:

And what about Chiltern Railways - there's the question of whether
they could call at their normal LU stations - i.e. Amersham, Chalfont
& Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Harrow-on-the-Hill - but is
there also any question about whether they could actually run - are
the LU signallers going on strike too? Even if they could call at
those stations.

This is from the National Rail website:

The following stations which are served by Chiltern Railways, as well
as London Underground, will be closed, and no services will be
calling:

* Harrow-on-the-Hill
* Rickmansworth
* Chorleywood
* Chalfont & Latimer
* Amersham

C2C services will not call at West Ham station from 18:45 on Tuesday 9
June until the start of service on Friday 12 June

London Overground will run a normal service throughout this industrial
action.

--

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...e/details.html

MIG June 9th 09 03:58 PM

On 9 June, 16:41, wrote:
On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

[...]

are no other Met line possibilities, with the current layout.- Hide quoted text -

Ah right, so you can't take the Met south through platform 2, I think
you are saying, and it's electricked only for reversing back north.
That seems a bit unbalanced given that you can go north through
platform 1, but if that's the way it is ... Hard to tell from
diagrams.

[email protected] June 9th 09 04:35 PM

On Jun 9, 4:46*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...e/details.html

I can't see any reason at all not to accept LU-valid rail tickets on
cross-London buses (as it's an internal matter within TfL, no external
stakeholders required) - is this some kind of spite directed at the
TOCs for not co-operating on PAYG?

"Please be aware that National Rail tickets which are valid for cross-
London transfers on the London Underground will not be valid on London
Buses."

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

[email protected] June 9th 09 05:08 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

Noticed this on the TfL website - worthy of inclusion in Private Eye.

"Suspended between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone with severe
delays on the rest of the line due to operational issues.

Valid tickets are being accepted on local bus services between Queen's
Park and Harrow & Wealdstone.

See how we are transforming the Tube ."

--
gordon

Mizter T June 9th 09 05:32 PM

On Jun 9, 5:35*pm, wrote:

On Jun 9, 4:46*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...e/details.html

I can't see any reason at all not to accept LU-valid rail tickets on
cross-London buses (as it's an internal matter within TfL, no external
stakeholders required) - is this some kind of spite directed at the
TOCs for not co-operating on PAYG?

"Please be aware that National Rail tickets which are valid for cross-
London transfers on the London Underground will not be valid on London
Buses."

I wonder if this is not more likely to simply be the result of
misunderstanding and/or miscommunication on the part of NRE (who run
the NR site)?

In reality I imagine bus drivers would probably wave anyone through
who presented such a ticket and explained what they were doing - their
priority will be to keep things moving, not quibble over ticket
validities.

If however this really is the official position as dictated by TfL,
then perhaps the worry is people presenting any old NR ticket to bus
drivers and therefore getting a free ride? (Of course that thought is
somewhat incompatible with my comment in the previous paragraph.)

[email protected] June 9th 09 05:32 PM

On Jun 9, 4:58*pm, MIG wrote:
On 9 June, 16:41, wrote:

On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

[...]

That's right. To go south to the Met from platform 2 would require
crossing both northbound tracks, so all crossing moves happen at
Harrow North Junction, where only the NB slow is crossed. On the other
hand, using platform 1 for NB Met fast services takes only takes them
across the SB Chiltern and gives extra platform capacity in the
evening peak.

Martin Deutsch June 9th 09 06:17 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On Jun 6, 12:55*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Then there's stations where LUL manages the main bit of the station
though not the National Rail platforms - e.g. West Ham, Seven Sisters,
Stratford.

First Capital Connect are saying this:

Please note: It is our expectation we will be able to operate between
Finsbury Park and Moorgate. However, this will depend upon the
availability of London Underground personnel who staff many of these
stations.

(from http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...=MajorIncident
)

[email protected] June 9th 09 06:25 PM

On 9 June, 19:17, Martin Deutsch wrote:
First Capital Connect are saying this:

Please note: It is our expectation we will be able to operate between
Finsbury Park and Moorgate. However, this will depend upon the
availability of London Underground personnel who staff many of these
stations.

and this .....

"Thameslink route service alterations: there is a shortage of
available trains as a result of a fault which means some services on
the Thameslink route are only 4 carriages long instead of 8.
Additional stops have also been put in to other services to relieve
crowding. The problem will be rectified soon, meanwhile we apologise
for the inconvenience this is causing customers."

Handy when the tubes are erm down the tubes.

--
gordon

[email protected] June 9th 09 08:39 PM

On Jun 9, 7:25*pm, " wrote:
On 9 June, 19:17, Martin Deutsch wrote:

First Capital Connect are saying this:

Please note: It is our expectation we will be able to operate between
Finsbury Park and Moorgate. However, this will depend upon the
availability of London Underground personnel who staff many of these
stations.

and this .....

"Thameslink route service alterations: there is a shortage of
available trains as a result of a fault which means some services on
the Thameslink route are only 4 carriages long instead of 8.
Additional stops have also been put in to other services to relieve
crowding. The problem will be rectified soon, meanwhile we apologise
for the inconvenience this is causing customers."

Handy when the tubes are erm down the tubes.

That was happening Monday as well. Looks like the shortage of class
377/5 units is starting to catch up with them!!

----

I've also just seen this on the National Rail website:

"London Overground and Southern services will not call at Wembley
Central or North Wembley stations on Wednesday 10 June from
approximately 18:00. A normal service is expected to run at all other
times."

So it looks there there is a slight shortage of station staff in the
evening. I notice that the Bakerloo north of Queens Park finished
early tonight (from about 5pm), does this mean that the line is a 'hot-
bed' of RMT activists? As I write this (21.40), only the Northern and
Piccadilly are still running a 'good service'

[email protected] June 9th 09 11:06 PM

On Jun 9, 9:45*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 13:39:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
"London Overground and Southern services will not call at Wembley
Central or North Wembley stations on Wednesday 10 June from
approximately 18:00. A normal service is expected to run at all other
times."

Surely it is to do with the England match at Wembley and the obvious
decision that there will be *no* rail based access to Wembley? All the
stations in the area are shut or else trains will not stop - Chiltern
included.

Possibly, I didn't think of that.

If one station was known to be open it would be swamped to dangerous
levels so perverse as it seems it is better to have them all closed and
thus the risk of crush conditions in stations disappears.

But isn't S********** P*** nearly as close as North Wembley, with S***
K***** not much further either? I know most fans might not realise
this, but there will be a few who will be able to work it out.

--
Paul C

[email protected] June 9th 09 11:44 PM

On Jun 9, 7:25*pm, " wrote:
On 9 June, 19:17, Martin Deutsch wrote:

First Capital Connect are saying this:

Please note: It is our expectation we will be able to operate between
Finsbury Park and Moorgate. However, this will depend upon the
availability of London Underground personnel who staff many of these
stations.

and this .....

"Thameslink route service alterations: there is a shortage of
available trains as a result of a fault which means some services on
the Thameslink route are only 4 carriages long instead of 8.
Additional stops have also been put in to other services to relieve
crowding. The problem will be rectified soon, meanwhile we apologise
for the inconvenience this is causing customers."

The latter is the ongoing 'not enough 377s delivered but we need to
shut the terminus platforms at Blackfriars right now' 'fault', rather
than a today thing, isn't it?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Paul Scott June 10th 09 09:49 AM

wrote in message
On Jun 9, 7:25 pm, " wrote:

"Thameslink route service alterations: there is a shortage of
available trains as a result of a fault which means some services on
the Thameslink route are only 4 carriages long instead of 8.
Additional stops have also been put in to other services to relieve
crowding. The problem will be rectified soon, meanwhile we apologise
for the inconvenience this is causing customers."

The latter is the ongoing 'not enough 377s delivered but we need to
shut the terminus platforms at Blackfriars right now' 'fault', rather
than a today thing, isn't it?

No - it's the 'just enough 377s had been delivered to muddle through, but
we've had to take the newest six out of service due to wheel bearing
problems' fault...

Paul S

Mizter T June 10th 09 10:42 AM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On Jun 10, 10:49*am, "Paul Scott"

On Jun 9, 7:25 pm, " wrote:

"Thameslink route service alterations: there is a shortage of
available trains as a result of a fault which means some services on
the Thameslink route are only 4 carriages long instead of 8.
Additional stops have also been put in to other services to relieve
crowding. The problem will be rectified soon, meanwhile we apologise
for the inconvenience this is causing customers."

The latter is the ongoing 'not enough 377s delivered but we need to
shut the terminus platforms at Blackfriars right now' 'fault', rather
than a today thing, isn't it?

No - it's the 'just enough 377s had been delivered to muddle through, but
we've had to take the newest six out of service due to wheel bearing
problems' fault...

Thanks for clearing that one up. To my mind the wording of the
original message from FCC certainly suggested a specific problem with
some of their existing trains.

Is there a significant quality control issue with the 377s then, as
there have been other suggestions of various issues with them?

Mizter T June 10th 09 03:23 PM

On Jun 10, 12:06*am, wrote:

On Jun 9, 9:45*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 13:39:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
"London Overground and Southern services will not call at Wembley
Central or North Wembley stations on Wednesday 10 June from
approximately 18:00. A normal service is expected to run at all other
times."

Surely it is to do with the England match at Wembley and the obvious
decision that there will be *no* rail based access to Wembley? All the
stations in the area are shut or else trains will not stop - Chiltern
included.

Possibly, I didn't think of that.

That's what's happening, yes.

If one station was known to be open it would be swamped to dangerous
levels so perverse as it seems it is better to have them all closed and
thus the risk of crush conditions in stations disappears.

But isn't S********** P*** nearly as close as North Wembley, with S***
K***** not much further either? I know most fans might not realise
this, but there will be a few who will be able to work it out.

They're one step ahead of you - S********** P*** is now also going to
be closed as well, though S*** K***** appears to have survived the
cull - and there's H******** station to the south as well of course.

Those who are keen can work these things out, of course - mapping
websites such as http://www.streetmap.co.uk and http://
www.walkit.com/ being useful especially for those without an A-Z to
hand (plus walkit.com is good for the time estimate anyway).

The additional closure of S********** P*** is according to the NRE
strike disruptions page he
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...e/details.html

Meanwhile TfL's own "Current Overground network status" page (which is
part of their "Live travel news" section) is as naff as ever - it only
mentions that Blackhorse Road is shut (as it's LUL managed), which is
the same message as yesterday evening. Meanwhile NRE page seems more
up to date as it currently states "Blackhorse Road station is
currently open for London Overground services, but may be closed at
short notice."

The fact there's no mention of the forthcoming closure of the three
stations in the vicinity of Wembley this evening on the TfL page is
really rather shabby - I kinda expected TfL to do a better job of
this.

I've just remembered the place to go for up to date LO information is
of course JourneyCheck - TfL/LO don't advertise the existence of it
publicly anywhere these days, though just after they took over the ex-
Silverlink routes a link to id did appear on the TfL website for a
short while - so I dare say it's aimed rather more at their own staff.
Anyway, one can get to it he
http://www.jcheck.com/londonoverground

Mizter T June 10th 09 06:55 PM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On Jun 10, 5:33*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:23:48 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Meanwhile TfL's own "Current Overground network status" page (which is
part of their "Live travel news" section) is as naff as ever - it only
mentions that Blackhorse Road is shut (as it's LUL managed), which is
the same message as yesterday evening. Meanwhile NRE page seems more
up to date as it currently states "Blackhorse Road station is
currently open for London Overground services, but may be closed at
short notice."

from what I could see at 0630 this morning Blackhorse Road was most
definitely open as it was at 1430 when I got back from my stint of
volunteering at Turnpike Lane.

Thanks - nothing like an eyewitness account!

Curious to know, would TfL buildings have been like ghost towns today,
i.e. what proportion of staff would have been out on the front line?
And do people volunteer or 'volunteer' to do this, IYSWIM?

I've just remembered the place to go for up to date LO information is
of course JourneyCheck - TfL/LO don't advertise the existence of it
publicly anywhere these days, though just after they took over the ex-
Silverlink routes a link to it did appear on the TfL website for a
short while - so I dare say it's aimed rather more at their own staff.
Anyway, one can get to it he
http://www.jcheck.com/londonoverground

It is very odd that the TfL website doesn't seem to deal with Overground
service status terribly well.

It's rather disappointing. I remember expecting, on TfL/LO taking over
from Silverlink, for there to be much improved efforts to communicate
information on the web. Instead, as I recall it was initially far
worse - there was nothing! No weekend engineering works information at
all (!!!), no live running information, just the same stale old
webpages on what TfL planned to do when they took over the ex-
Silverlink Metro routes - after a short while the link to the
JourneyCheck service appeared on TfL's 'live travel news' page for
under the "Rail" mode tab, but it subsequently disappeared after while
- presumably the logic being that the 'live travel news' pages would
instead be updated with up to the minute stuff. Well, they're not!

Also, LO never appears as disrupted on the real-time Tube map either,
despite the fact that it appears on the map (shaded-out, as if there's
no disruption).

It looks like the NLL and Euston Watfords are suffering a bit "due to an
unusually large passenger flow" - what a lovely turn of phrase.

It'll get flushed out of the system eventually, I'm sure.

This message has belatedly appeared on the "Current Overground network
status page:

---quote---
LONDON OVERGROUND, EUSTON - WATFORD JUNCTION: Severe delays are
occurring due to overcrowding. Trains are not calling at Stonebridge
Park, Wembley Central and North Wembley due to industrial action.
---/quote---

A somewhat disingenuous explanation perhaps, though undoubtedly it is
only happening because of the strike.

Incidentally, I've only now worked out the spectacularly complicated
way the items on that page are ordered, which I remember puzzling over
beforehand - it's that strange thing called alphabetical order!

I am however now doubting myself a little and wondering whether I had
scrolled down the page enough to see all the items that were on
display, or whether I've gone on a rant about lack of information that
was in fact there all along... That said, I'm pretty sure I looked at
it properly last time and didn't miss anything, but I can;t be sure.

However, either way it demonstrates that the way the information
presented is far from ideal - because of the alphabetical ordering of
items, really important things could appear 'below the
fold' (newsprint term) - i.e. you'd need to scroll down to see them.
Surely the most up to date, er, updates should always show at the top
of the page, whilst other more permanent items such as the info about
the 20 minute frequencies on the WLL and NLL south west of Willesden
Jn should appear further down [1].

Though I'd favour overhauling it and displaying information on a route
basis, e.g. NLL, GOBLIN etc. Yes, there is some crossover between the
NLL and WLL, but that wouldn't be a show stopper - any information
that pertains to both routes could be displayed in both categories.

----------
[1] I do just have to have a bit of a rant about this specifically,
having read and digested it. The item in question reads as follows:

---quote---
LONDON OVERGROUND (RICHMOND - CLAPHAM JUNCTION - STRATFORD): Monday to
Friday 0600-0900 and 1600-1900 trains operate every 20 minutes on each
line in both directions. As a result trains operate every 10 minutes
between Willesden Junction and Stratford.
---/quote---

Now, who could possibly blame anyone who might come away from reading
that with the erroneous impression that LO operated a service from
Richmond via Clapham Jn to Willesden Jn? I'm deeply unimpressed.

asdf June 10th 09 10:33 PM

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:33:12 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

It is very odd that the TfL website doesn't seem to deal with Overground
service status terribly well.

It looks like the NLL and Euston Watfords are suffering a bit "due to an
unusually large passenger flow" - what a lovely turn of phrase.

They're crowded enough in the a.m. peak on a normal day (to the point
of people regularly being left behind on the platform) - I was a bit
surprised that media reports were emphasising that the route was
running, as most people wouldn't have a hope of getting on.

And on top of the strike, the London Midland service was well and
truly stuffed by a signal failure in the Carpenders Park area.

So I imagine the sport of "how many people can you fit in a 313?" was
well practised this morning.

Mizter T June 10th 09 11:41 PM

On Jun 10, 11:33*pm, asdf wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:33:12 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
It is very odd that the TfL website doesn't seem to deal with Overground
service status terribly well.

It looks like the NLL and Euston Watfords are suffering a bit "due to an
unusually large passenger flow" - what a lovely turn of phrase.

They're crowded enough in the a.m. peak on a normal day (to the point
of people regularly being left behind on the platform) - I was a bit
surprised that media reports were emphasising that the route was
running, as most people wouldn't have a hope of getting on.

I know the NLL is crazy busy during morning and evening peaks, but how
hectic does is get on the DC line? I know people who live up Kensal
Green way, but none of them ever seem to use the service at the height
of the peaks (explained by cycling, walking, bus, odd shifts, doesn't
go where they need to be).

And on top of the strike, the London Midland service was well and
truly stuffed by a signal failure in the Carpenders Park area.

So I imagine the sport of "how many people can you fit in a 313?" was
well practised this morning.

Joyous!

Charles Ellson June 11th 09 02:15 AM

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was: Tube strike]

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:41:53 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Jun 10, 11:33*pm, asdf wrote:

[...]

I suspect a lot of people have managed to pass it (and other DC line
stations) without noticing it is there.

Much of the DC line signage is still as bad as it was after "British
Rail" was invented (see the picture of Kenton Station in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenton_station and compare with
historical photographs of DC/NLL stations showing more prominent
signage _above_ the entrance canopy). While the LMS/early BR listing
of 1001 destinations would be a bit OTT, the signage still needs
improvement so that people notice the stations and have basic
information amounting to more than a couple of overgrown badges.

Kensal Green station does not look a lot better
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensal_...ilway_station], having
the appearance of a warehouse or village hall and an apparent failure
to make the LO/NR symbols prominent on a contrasting background;
putting "station" at the end of the name would also help.

asdf June 11th 09 06:23 AM

On Jun 10, 11:33*pm, asdf wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:33:12 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
It is very odd that the TfL website doesn't seem to deal with Overground
service status terribly well.

It looks like the NLL and Euston Watfords are suffering a bit "due to an
unusually large passenger flow" - what a lovely turn of phrase.

They're crowded enough in the a.m. peak on a normal day (to the point
of people regularly being left behind on the platform) - I was a bit
surprised that media reports were emphasising that the route was
running, as most people wouldn't have a hope of getting on.

I know the NLL is crazy busy during morning and evening peaks, but how
hectic does is get on the DC line?

Actually, I neglected to mention that I was writing that about the DC
line (though I bet the NLL wasn't pretty either).

Andy June 11th 09 12:18 PM

On 10 June, 23:33, asdf wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:33:12 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
It is very odd that the TfL website doesn't seem to deal with Overground
service status terribly well.

It looks like the NLL and Euston Watfords are suffering a bit "due to an
unusually large passenger flow" - what a lovely turn of phrase.

They're crowded enough in the a.m. peak on a normal day (to the point
of people regularly being left behind on the platform) - I was a bit
surprised that media reports were emphasising that the route was
running, as most people wouldn't have a hope of getting on.

And on top of the strike, the London Midland service was well and
truly stuffed by a signal failure in the Carpenders Park area.

So I imagine the sport of "how many people can you fit in a 313?" was
well practised this morning.

Apparantly LO are running additional services Harrow & Wealdstone -
Kilburn High Road, to take some of the load off. There was certainly a
313 in Harrow sidings yesterday morning and there platform displays
were advertising the service this morning too.

From experience, the LO trains are full on the Euston to/from about
Willesden / Wembley section during a normal peak, but you can usually
get on. As soon as there is any disruption to either the London
Midland or Bakerloo services, you'd be hard put to get on at
intermediate stations. Yesterday things wouldn't have been helped by
the lack of Southern services, as these are quite busy on Watford -
Shepherds Bush / Kensington Olympia leg and this was the part
cancelled due to the Carpenders Park problem.

MIG June 13th 09 07:50 PM

On 9 June, 18:32, wrote:
On Jun 9, 4:58*pm, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 16:41, wrote:

On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

[...]

A bit late to go back to this one, but I got round to checking the
right Quails. The Southern (most up-to-date) edition corresponds
exactly to what you say, with the electrification not even extending
from platform 2 as far back as the diamond.

But the Western edition is very different, showing more
electrification and difficult to interpret whether there's a
crossover, because of the colours not quite lining up. I wonder if
there has been a change in recent years or one there was a mistake?

Jack Taylor June 13th 09 08:39 PM

MIG wrote:
On 9 June, 18:32, wrote:

That's right. To go south to the Met from platform 2 would require
crossing both northbound tracks, so all crossing moves happen at
Harrow North Junction, where only the NB slow is crossed. On the
other hand, using platform 1 for NB Met fast services takes only
takes them across the SB Chiltern and gives extra platform capacity
in the evening peak.-

A bit late to go back to this one, but I got round to checking the
right Quails. The Southern (most up-to-date) edition corresponds
exactly to what you say, with the electrification not even extending
from platform 2 as far back as the diamond.

That is correct. There is no route SB from platform 2, other than up to
Marylebone. Electrification ends at the south end of the platform. In
practise, the only services that use P2 are terminating trains from the
north, that then run back to Rickmansworth to stable. AFAIR that only
actually consists of one evening service at around 20:15.

Martin Rich[_2_] June 14th 09 10:58 PM

"asdf" wrote in message

Actually, I neglected to mention that I was writing that about the DC
line (though I bet the NLL wasn't pretty either).

It wasn't (excuse me coming to this late). I was on the very crowded train
scheduled to leave Gospel Oak for Clapham Junction around 0920 on Thursday.
All trains through Gospel Oak seemed to be running around 6-10 minutes late
just because of extra time at stations to handle the crowds. The driver
announced that a freight train had been routed immediately in front of us
and we had to wait at the platform until the freight train had cleared
Hampstead Tunnel - that's past the next station and then some. I wonder
whether that's a single block section or whether there's some other
safety-related issue. So we were around 15 minutes late at Clapham, and at
Willesden Junction in particular staff were stopping people from trying to
board the train

Martin

Andy June 15th 09 11:34 AM

On 13 June, 20:50, MIG wrote:
On 9 June, 18:32, wrote:

On Jun 9, 4:58*pm, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 16:41, wrote:

On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

[...]

There were quite a few mistakes introduced when Quail switched to
colour and the Western version is definately wrong. I don't think that
there have been any changes to the electrification on the 'Chiltern'
platforms for many years, possibily not since the 1960s.