Old June 10th 09, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default New Electrostar problems

So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 10th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

John B wrote:
So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

Axle bearing faults apparently, but no more detail. I mentioned this in a
reply to your other ID earlier...

Paul S

Old June 10th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jun 10, 2:17*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

Axle bearing faults apparently, but no more detail. I mentioned this in a
reply to your other ID earlier...

Aye, which is what prompted this post, to see if people who weren't
interested in the dregs of the strike thread knew anything about the
Electrostar problems. Should've acknowledged it was inspired by your
response tho', sorry.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old June 10th 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jun 10, 1:57*pm, John B wrote:

So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

Found this by chance (another FCC webchat today it seems):

Q91
When do you expect to have the Class 377/5 units back in service and
why were they so unceremoniously withdrawn with such short notice?

A91
We stood down the 6 377/5 units last Friday due to a problem with the
earth return brushes which was found on unit 377 502 on routine
maintenance. We then examined 377 505 and found a similar problem. We
therefore stopped the fleet for examination and rectification. There
are 14 sets of return brushes on class 377/5 and not more than 30%
have been found defective on any unit. However we do not want these to
deteriate further and the situation to go unchecked so the
manufacturer, Bombardier, have been working on a solution. This
solution has started to be introduced today and we expect to have
trains back in service at the rate of two per day.
Old June 10th 09, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 05:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
John B wrote:

So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

I wasn't aware the 378s were in service yet.

B2003

Old June 10th 09, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

John B wrote:

So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

I wasn't aware the 378s were in service yet.

They aren't, but withdrawal for the same fault as the 377s would prevent
driver training and mileagae accumulation, further delaying introduction.

Paul S

Old June 10th 09, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
On Jun 10, 2:17 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

Axle bearing faults apparently, but no more detail. I mentioned this in a
reply to your other ID earlier...

Aye, which is what prompted this post, to see if people who weren't
interested in the dregs of the strike thread knew anything about the
Electrostar problems. Should've acknowledged it was inspired by your
response tho', sorry.

Seems bearings was a duff rumour anyway now...

Paul

Old June 10th 09, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jun 10, 1:57*pm, John B wrote:
So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

FWIW, JourneyCheck for FCC appears to list all the short formed
services on the Thameslink route:
http://www.jcheck.com/firstcapitalconnect

This is exceptionally bad timing, as the core Thameslink route will no
doubt be under considerable strain today with bods attempting to route
around the Tube strike.
Old June 10th 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 June, 16:29, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:57*pm, John B wrote:

So what's the latest (alleged) fault that's required the 377/5s and
378s to be taken out of service all about, then...?

FWIW, JourneyCheck for FCC appears to list all the short formed
services on the Thameslink route:
http://www.jcheck.com/firstcapitalconnect

This is exceptionally bad timing, as the core Thameslink route will no
doubt be under considerable strain today with bods attempting to route
around the Tube strike.

For strike and other reasons, I've used Thameslink through the middle
more than usual lately.

My impression is the same as many people's was back in the late 1980s:
incredibly slow, trains waiting minutes at every station and crawling
between stations (while keeping to time).

Also a huge delay and palaver in terminating trains at City Thameslink
(two staff shutting one set of doors at a time while a train stands
for several minutes).

I can't easily reconcile this, slow, grinding route with a service so
fast and frequent that no existing trains will be able to accelerate
fast enough to keep up. When and how is the seismic shift going to
happen?