Old June 17th 09, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Borisbus inching forward?

In message , Tom Barry
writes

Do roundabouts often have bus stops on? Not sure they do, really.
That's all Parliament Square is, really.

Shepherds Bush Green has a good selection of bus stops dotted around it.

--
Paul Terry

Old June 17th 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Tom Barry
writes

Do roundabouts often have bus stops on? Not sure they do, really.
That's all Parliament Square is, really.

Shepherds Bush Green has a good selection of bus stops dotted around
it.

It's a large high street. Parliament Square is a small one way system with
no shops on it.

Old June 17th 09, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 17 June, 08:44, Petert wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:02:45 -0700 (PDT), MIG

wrote:
I am in favour of being able to get off when I want to, although open
platforms aren't necessarily the best way of achieving it.

What do you suggest IS the best way then?
--
Cheers

Peter

Er ... the way I suggested, but you cut?
Old June 17th 09, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:55:40 on Wed, 17 Jun
2009, Basil Jet remarked:
Do roundabouts often have bus stops on? Not sure they do, really.
That's all Parliament Square is, really.

Shepherds Bush Green has a good selection of bus stops dotted around
it.

It's a large high street. Parliament Square is a small one way system with
no shops on it.

The Parliamentary Bookshop is "on" the square, just. It's the corner
shop on the SE extremity.

Old June 17th 09, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I am in favour of being able to get off when I want to, although open
platforms aren't necessarily the best way of achieving it.

What do you suggest IS the best way then?
--
Cheers

Peter

Er ... the way I suggested, but you cut?

I don't think that a driver being disrtracted by multiple requests to
open the doors so someone could jump off (and not on) should be
considered the best way.

--
Cheers

Peter
Old June 17th 09, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
I am in favour of being able to get off when I want to, although open
platforms aren't necessarily the best way of achieving it.

What do you suggest IS the best way then?
--
Cheers

Peter

Er ... the way I suggested, but you cut?

I don't think that a driver being disrtracted by multiple requests to
open the doors so someone could jump off (and not on) should be
considered the best way.

I don't think there would be any need for multiple requests. Either
the driver would do it spontaneously when in an obvious situation of
blockage, or else there would be one request (perhaps by dinging),
after which anyone who needed to get off would do so. Either way,
there would then be an opportunity to give suitable warnings and/or
spurn any really dangerous locations for opening the doors at, which a
permanently open platform wouldn't allow for.
Old June 18th 09, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in
:

James Farrar wrote:

1,168,738 votes strikes me as quite a large justification.

ITYM 139,772 votes.

Eh?

That's the second round majority.

Ah, I see.

That has nothing to do with my point, which is why it confused me.
Old June 18th 09, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Polson wrote in
:

For example, the Labour government is doing all it can to cling on to
power until it has to call an election, probably in June 2010. It is
not addressing the colossal hole in the public finances, preferring to
leave a substantially worse problem for the next government, which
Labour in all probability won't lead.

Presumably you support this stance?

False analogy, because the government isn't doing nothing. It's borrowing
money hand over fist (the PSBR figures are out in 20 minutes so we'll find
out how much).
Old June 18th 09, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 18, 9:07*am, James Farrar wrote:
1,168,738 votes strikes me as quite a large justification.

ITYM 139,772 votes.

Eh?

That's the second round majority.

Ah, I see.

That has nothing to do with my point, which is why it confused me.

Yes it does: to the extent to which you have a point, it's that
Boris's stupid decisions are justified by the fact that a lot of
people voted for him in the full knowledge that he'd make stupid
decisions.

But since more than a million people voted against him, the absolute
number of votes for him is irrelevant - the only thing you can cite as
'justification' is the margin by which he won.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org