London Banter

-   -   Oyster on buses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/838-oyster-buses.html)

Rupert Goodwins October 13th 03 09:24 AM

Oyster on buses

When you use your Oyster on a bus, how and when does that information
get back to the main database? Does the bus radio it in, does the card
itself relay the data when it's next used on a connected reader, or is
there some other mechanism?

Robert Woolley October 13th 03 10:56 PM

Oyster on buses

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:24:28 GMT, Rupert Goodwins
wrote:

When you use your Oyster on a bus, how and when does that information
get back to the main database? Does the bus radio it in, does the card
itself relay the data when it's next used on a connected reader, or is
there some other mechanism?

There is another mechanism. It doesn't involve the radio.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Rupert Goodwins October 15th 03 01:47 PM

Oyster on buses

wrote:

When you use your Oyster on a bus, how and when does that information
get back to the main database? Does the bus radio it in, does the card
itself relay the data when it's next used on a connected reader, or is
there some other mechanism?

There is another mechanism. It doesn't involve the radio.

Is it real-time?

Rob.

Neil Williams October 15th 03 06:51 PM

Oyster on buses

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:47:46 GMT, Rupert Goodwins
wrote:

Is it real-time?

Could it perhaps be via the driver modules which store other journey
statistics and are plugged in and downloaded at the depot after each
shift?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.

Nes October 22nd 03 10:04 PM

Oyster on buses

I don't think so. I jumped on a 453 at Westminster, used my Oyster and got
off at Lambeth North some 5 minutes later. I ventured into the station and
tried running my card over the ticket machine reader and looked at the card
usage and that 453 journey was included on the screen.

Nes.
--
To reply directly to me, please remove all the spam-deflecting X's!
Either that, or simply reply to the group!

Martin Rich October 23rd 03 10:22 PM

Oyster on buses

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:04:09 +0000 (UTC), "Nes"
wrote:

I don't think so. I jumped on a 453 at Westminster, used my Oyster and got
off at Lambeth North some 5 minutes later. I ventured into the station and
tried running my card over the ticket machine reader and looked at the card
usage and that 453 journey was included on the screen.

Is this not using data stored on the card? (I've had a similar
experience of seeing a bus journey registered on my card when I'd just
got off the bus). Presumably there's some sort of reconciliation
between data stored on the card and data stored centrally at various
stages

Martin