Old October 13th 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Jubilee Line - noise and maps

How come the Jubilee Line is so noisy? It seems to be considerably
noisier (from inside the trains, though also from the platform when a
train approaches/leaves) than the other lines.

Does it actually run faster, or is something else causing the noise?

Also, what's with the line map above the windows? East/west seems to be
reversed depending on which side of the car you're sitting on.
Presumably this is to make it consistent with the direction the train is
travelling in, but since (AFAICT) other lines don't do it that way, I
just found it confusing...

Niklas
--
I mean, who could fail to enjoy doing Bristol - London along a
congested M4 in a 60mph steamroller?

Old October 13th 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Niklas Karlsson wrote:
How come the Jubilee Line is so noisy? It seems to be considerably
noisier (from inside the trains, though also from the platform when a
train approaches/leaves) than the other lines.

Does it actually run faster, or is something else causing the noise?

If you mean the whining noise as a train accelerates or decelerates, that's
because the trains on the Jubilee (1996 stock) use Gate Turn-Off Thyristors
to control the supply of electric current to the traction motors, the system
being very similar to Connex's Class 465/466 Networker trains which make a
similar noise. (Info from Richard Griffin's web site at
http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/s...tubeStock.html )

Also, what's with the line map above the windows? East/west seems to
be reversed depending on which side of the car you're sitting on.
Presumably this is to make it consistent with the direction the train
is travelling in, but since (AFAICT) other lines don't do it that
way, I just found it confusing...

It's supposed to make it easier to comprehend, since the layout matches the
direction of the train. Personally I find it confusing too. Anyone who's
ever looked at a map of the South Bank area knows that Waterloo is to the
left of London Bridge, so it's not helpful (to me anyway) to show it the
other way round.

It's only possible for lines where the trains never get turned round and
where all the line diagrams are on the sides of the cars. I think that's
the Jubilee, Victoria, Bakerloo and Waterloo & City. Not sure if the maps
on all four lines are arranged like this. Jubilee and Victoria definitely
are.
--
Richard J.

Old October 13th 03, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J. wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:
How come the Jubilee Line is so noisy? It seems to be considerably
noisier (from inside the trains, though also from the platform when a
train approaches/leaves) than the other lines.

Does it actually run faster, or is something else causing the noise?

If you mean the whining noise as a train accelerates or decelerates, that's
because the trains on the Jubilee (1996 stock) use Gate Turn-Off Thyristors
to control the supply of electric current to the traction motors, the system
being very similar to Connex's Class 465/466 Networker trains which make a
similar noise. (Info from Richard Griffin's web site at
http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/s...tubeStock.html )

Thanks! There seems to be more noise while travelling through the
tunnels as well, though, at least compared to the lines I usually travel
on (Picc, Northern, sometimes Central and District)...

Niklas
--
"IMO, the primary historical significance of Unix is that it marks the time in
computer history where CPUs became so cheap that it was possible to build an
Old October 13th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

It's only possible for lines where the trains never get turned round and
where all the line diagrams are on the sides of the cars. I think that's
the Jubilee, Victoria, Bakerloo and Waterloo & City. Not sure if the maps
on all four lines are arranged like this. Jubilee and Victoria definitely
are.

Line maps on the Waterloo & City are pretty pointless though

Old October 13th 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

It's only possible for lines where the trains never get turned round and
where all the line diagrams are on the sides of the cars. I think that's
the Jubilee, Victoria, Bakerloo and Waterloo & City. Not sure if the maps
on all four lines are arranged like this. Jubilee and Victoria definitely
are.

Line maps on the Waterloo & City are pretty pointless though

Waterloo Bank

I think that they're directional, but I don't travel on that line
often.

--
Good night little fishey-wishes.... I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.