Old June 23rd 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London buses - noise

The buses (which seem fairly new) on the route that goes past our house
- the 76 - often sound like a turbofan revving for take-off. Did they
skimp on sound insulation with these things - and are drivers told not
to keep over-revving as they seem to do?

In fact, are there any noise standards for buses?

M.

Old June 23rd 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:33:52 +0000 (UTC), marcb
wrote:

The buses (which seem fairly new) on the route that goes past our house
- the 76 - often sound like a turbofan revving for take-off. Did they
skimp on sound insulation with these things - and are drivers told not
to keep over-revving as they seem to do?

They are not over-revving. It is a huge fan that has to work overtime in
the current temperatures to keep the engine compartment cool. This is a
design "feature" on Volvo B7 chassis which is what is typically used on
the 76. I do agree that they can be amazingly loud but it is always far
worse in summer than winter.

In fact, are there any noise standards for buses?

Don't know.
--
Paul C

Old June 23rd 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

marcb wrote:
The buses (which seem fairly new) on the route that goes past our house
- the 76 - often sound like a turbofan revving for take-off. Did they
skimp on sound insulation with these things - and are drivers told not
to keep over-revving as they seem to do?

In fact, are there any noise standards for buses?

M.

I am sure this has been asked before - but what is that squeal that
high pitched "sigh" that Bendy Buses make?

B.
Old June 24th 05, 01:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"ONscotland" wrote in message
oups.com...
marcb wrote:
The buses (which seem fairly new) on the route that goes past our house
- the 76 - often sound like a turbofan revving for take-off. Did they
skimp on sound insulation with these things - and are drivers told not
to keep over-revving as they seem to do?

In fact, are there any noise standards for buses?

M.

I am sure this has been asked before - but what is that squeal that
high pitched "sigh" that Bendy Buses make?

B.

Sound of the turbo from the engine?

Old June 24th 05, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

I do agree that they can be amazingly loud but it is always far
worse in summer than winter.

Yes, it's clear now that they are a lot noisier in this hot weather.
Thanks.

M.

Old June 25th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:56:35 +0100, "Fossil" wrote:

"ONscotland" wrote in message
roups.com...
marcb wrote:
The buses (which seem fairly new) on the route that goes past our house
- the 76 - often sound like a turbofan revving for take-off. Did they
skimp on sound insulation with these things - and are drivers told not
to keep over-revving as they seem to do?

In fact, are there any noise standards for buses?

M.

I am sure this has been asked before - but what is that squeal that
high pitched "sigh" that Bendy Buses make?

B.

Sound of the turbo from the engine?

It seems pollution comes in many guises. Not only does a diesel bus chuck out
all sorts of nasties from its tail pipe, but also you have an infernal noise
from the vehicle all the while the engine is running. Is it not time to have
something a lot better? Trolleybuses come to mind which would be just the
ticket.

David Bradley
Old June 26th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

come to mind which would be just the ticket.

David Bradley

Yes indeed - the perfect complement to the Trolley Stop pub at the end of
our road.

M.

Old June 27th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Bradley
writes
It seems pollution comes in many guises. Not only does a diesel bus chuck out
all sorts of nasties from its tail pipe, but also you have an infernal noise
from the vehicle all the while the engine is running. Is it not time to have
something a lot better? Trolleybuses come to mind which would be just the
ticket.

David Bradley

The major road safety problem with trolley buses was precisely their
quietness. You did not hear that it was approaching, until it hit you.

Once you were on board it was wonderful, they were so quiet and free of
vibration. Their acceleration was a bit sharpish.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"