Old October 18th 03, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overnight Tube

In article , John Rowland
writes
Since there would only be one train on each open section, and each open
section would be separated by several miles from the next open section on
the same track, signals wouldn't be needed. So long as the last section at
the end of the line operated on the correct line towards the terminus (and
wrong line away from it), and the tripcocks were operating here, and each
train had a driver in each end, I don't see many safety problems.

Actually you'd have a problem with the tripcocks. A train can be
"back-tripped" if the rear car passes over a raised trainstop. On bits
of track where trains move both ways the trainstops have to be lowered
as a train approaches and raised once it's passed. Plain track is
signalled like this.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old October 18th 03, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:46:34 +0100, "Ivor Smallone"
wrote:

I hope he,s a driver!!

Oh no - I'm far worse than that.

You didn't commission the 83 stock, did you? ;-)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 18th 03, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"Ivor Smallone" wrote in message

"Darren Wiltshire" wrote in message
.. .
Sad but true...

Btw, where on LUL do you work?

Blimey I thought all the LUL Staff had buggered off this group!

Some of us are still around from time to time....

I hope he,s a driver!!
You lot are overpaid bone idle *******s who go on strike at the drop of a
hat for no bog roll!!

LOL!
Nothing to stop you working for LU too

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 19th 03, 01:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message
.. .

"Kat" wrote in message
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Ah, so that's what all those holes advertising CTRL works, the tube's

going
to Canada!

In partnership with Air Canada ;-)

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 19th 03, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message
In message

, Boltar
writes

Also don't forget theres there question of money. Not

only the extra
cost of powering the trains in the night but staff wages.

I don't
suspect theres a hope in hell of getting *any* LU staff

to work night
shifts (who don't have to already past about 1am) without

a payrise
never mind the drivers.

I don't know about now, but 30 years ago in my time on

Northern and
Central lines, we did work nights. The last and first

trains were
operated by the same crews and in winter were sometimes

called on to run
snow clearing trains on outside sections.
--
Clive

Back in the winter of 62/63 (was it?) I remember "shuttle"
working was introduced North of Bounds Green on the Pic.
This is mainly in the open. Northbound trains terminated
on the centre line at the station (3 track station with two
island platforms - centre track for terminating trains and
access to the sidings). The shuttle to Cockfosters then
ran on the one open track (cannot remember which side) so
one way was completely wrong track
I think ! only used this shuttle the once (not being a
commuter) but IIRC we joined the train at Hounslow East
which must have suffered from a similar snowfall but was
operating normally.
Of course that was in the days of REAL signals with
SIGNALMEN. Today with computers in charge it may not be so
easy.
--
IanB

n.b. Please respond via n.g. (I subscribe to two large
newsgroups so I may be running a few days behind on reading
threads).
you may need to zzremove snooze mode to reply direct

Old October 19th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london