London Banter

-   -   7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8612-7-coats-arms-hammersmith-bridge.html)

Abigail Brady July 16th 09 10:09 AM

7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

On Jul 16, 10:58*am, "neverwas" wrote:
I can understand why they used Colchester's as the arms of Essex
duplicated Middlesex's. *But I haven't been able to find a reason for
not using Surrey's (assuming there was such a thing).

I doubt there was. Surrey County Council was officially granted arms
in 1934 - the design appears to have been novel (and based on the arms
of various Surrey towns) rather than being a previous informal design
being "blessed", as was the situation with Middlesex.

--
Abi

[email protected] July 16th 09 11:37 AM

7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

In article
,
(Abigail Brady) wrote:

On Jul 16, 10:58*am, "neverwas" wrote:
I can understand why they used Colchester's as the arms of Essex
duplicated Middlesex's. *But I haven't been able to find a reason for
not using Surrey's (assuming there was such a thing).

I doubt there was. Surrey County Council was officially granted arms
in 1934 - the design appears to have been novel (and based on the arms
of various Surrey towns) rather than being a previous informal design
being "blessed", as was the situation with Middlesex.

Surrey County Council did not exist when the bridge was opened if it was
indeed opened in 1887. County Councils were created in 1889 UIVMM.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Graham J[_2_] July 16th 09 07:49 PM

7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

Yes. And of Essex if it were the MBW.

I was ignoring Essex as it didn't seem to have any representation on the
metropolitan board
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo...ment_Act_1855), and also had
the same arms as Middlesex.

I'm pretty sure that 1 o'clock is Guildford (the county town of Surrey).
I've not found details of them as they were when the bridge was
commissioned but the former Borough Council's arms were very similar and
incorporated a castle with 3 towers between 2 woolpacks. See
http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/surrey_ob.html

5 o'clock seems similarly to be the county town of Essex - Colchester. See
http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/east_anglia_essex.html

They seem as good as suggestions as any we are likely to get!

G.

neverwas[_2_] July 16th 09 09:00 PM

7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

I was ignoring Essex as it didn't seem to have any representation on
the metropolitan board

Good point. (Pretty poor of me not to spot that when I live so close to
the River Lee which formed the boundary between Middlesex and Essex.)
Looks as if it the arms represented the areas which were (in part at
least) within the MBW area *or which bordered it*.

Roland Perry July 17th 09 07:30 AM

7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

In message , at
09:58:29 on Thu, 16 Jul 2009, neverwas remarked:

5 o'clock seems similarly to be the county town of Essex - Colchester.
See http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/east_anglia_essex.html

*Chelmsford* is the county town of Essex!

neverwas[_2_] July 17th 09 09:48 AM

7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

*Chelmsford* is the county town of Essex!

I'm ashamed. And me born an Essex lad and all. I don't think I shall
ever feel able to wear white socks with black shoes again :)

I can't think why they'd have used Colchester's arms on the bridge when
it is so far from London so I hope someone will come up with a better
answer.

Graham J[_2_] July 19th 09 04:15 PM

7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

Good point. (Pretty poor of me not to spot that when I live so close to
the River Lee which formed the boundary between Middlesex and Essex.)
Looks as if it the arms represented the areas which were (in part at
least) within the MBW area *or which bordered it*.

Annoying isn't it. BTW if you want a clearer image of the arms there is one
he

http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/image/75644122/large

There is a castle sort of thing on the Hammersmith & Fulham coat of arms but
I've been unable to isolate what it represents.

G.