London Banter

-   -   Shoreditch tube (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/874-shoreditch-tube.html)

Tom Anderson October 20th 03 08:53 AM

Shoreditch tube

Shoreditch tube has restricted opening hours; peak times, which is fair
enough, and sunday mornings (and early afternoon). why sunday mornings?

tom

--
If this is paradise, i wish i had a lawnmower.

Andrew Brian Hickman October 20th 03 09:42 AM

Shoreditch tube

"Tom Anderson" wrote

Shoreditch tube has restricted opening hours; peak
times, which is fair enough, and sunday mornings
(and early afternoon). why sunday mornings?

Though loss making,
closing the station could kill Brick Lane Sunday market.

Peter Beale October 20th 03 10:58 AM

Shoreditch tube

In article , (Tom Anderson) wrote:

why sunday mornings?

Used to be because of lots of Jewish traders, whose sabbath has finished by then.

--
Peter Beale

John Rowland October 20th 03 12:09 PM

Shoreditch tube

"Andrew Brian Hickman" wrote in message

Though loss making,
closing the station could kill Brick Lane Sunday market.

The station will be closed in a few years. Its replacement will be up at the
former Shoreditch one-way system.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Seanie O'Kilfoyle October 20th 03 12:42 PM

Shoreditch tube

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

If this is paradise, i wish i had a lawnmower.

They paved it, put up a parking lot

Oooooooohh......sha la la

dan October 20th 03 01:58 PM

Shoreditch tube

(Peter Beale) wrote in message o.uk...
In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

why sunday mornings?

Used to be because of lots of Jewish traders, whose sabbath has finished by then.

Are you sure? If you look at 60's - 70's tube maps, Shoreditch was
only open Monday to Friday. I think the Sunday opening is a recent
thing, from long after the Jewish traders had moved away.

By the way, as Brick Lane market is just 5mins walk from both Aldgate
East and Liverpool St, closing the Shoreditch tube wouldn't harm it
very much!

It's a shame Shoreditch isn't open later on weekday evenings though.
I'm sure more people would want to travel from Shoreditch to
Whitechapel at pub closing than Shadwell-New Cross. Bring on the
extension........

Peter Beale October 20th 03 05:15 PM

Shoreditch tube

In article , (dan) wrote:

Are you sure? If you look at 60's - 70's tube maps, Shoreditch was
only open Monday to Friday. I think the Sunday opening is a recent
thing, from long after the Jewish traders had moved away.

I may be wrong; but I am thinking back to the '50s.

--
Peter Beale

Tom Anderson October 21st 03 08:46 AM

Shoreditch tube

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Andrew Brian Hickman wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote

Shoreditch tube has restricted opening hours; peak
times, which is fair enough, and sunday mornings
(and early afternoon). why sunday mornings?

Though loss making, closing the station could kill Brick Lane Sunday
market.

ah so. cheers.

tom

--
Many of us adopted the File's slang as our own, feeling that we'd found a tangible sign of the community of minds we'd half-guessed to be out there.

Terry Harper October 21st 03 03:56 PM

Shoreditch tube

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
Shoreditch tube has restricted opening hours; peak times, which is fair
enough, and sunday mornings (and early afternoon). why sunday mornings?

Perhaps because no trains run to and from there at those times.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/