London Banter

-   -   Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/885-help-what-happens-now-buying.html)

Paul Weaver October 22nd 03 07:55 AM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:19:27 +0100, wrote:
Hi all,
A friend of mine was on a London bus and a revenue inspector got on.
The Revenue Inspector asked my friend "What station did you buy this
travelcard from". The revenue inspector also asked "How much did you
pay for this ticket"

Does the ticket inspector have any right to ask this? IMO they shouldn't,
as TFL is subsidised by the public

Is finding a travelcard on the floor less serious than buying one from
a tout?

Perhaps they should arrest people that stand at the entrances to stations
touting? It's not like they're discreet.

Helen Deborah Vecht October 22nd 03 10:56 AM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

Paul Weaver typed

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:19:27 +0100, wrote:
Hi all,
A friend of mine was on a London bus and a revenue inspector got on.
The Revenue Inspector asked my friend "What station did you buy this
travelcard from". The revenue inspector also asked "How much did you
pay for this ticket"

Does the ticket inspector have any right to ask this? IMO they shouldn't,
as TFL is subsidised by the public

Is finding a travelcard on the floor less serious than buying one from
a tout?

Perhaps they should arrest people that stand at the entrances to stations
touting? It's not like they're discreet.

Yebbut LUL staff aren't allowed to stop the touts personally AIUI. They
have to call the police.

All tickets have codes on them which relate to the time & place of
issue. IMO ignorance of a ticket's provenance could count as
circumstantial evidence for a ticket-related offence.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Paul Weaver October 22nd 03 11:42 AM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Paul Weaver typed

[...]

Which, I believe, is not enough on its own. Some people have a lousy memory,
some people may have had the ticket bought for them (as in I get 2
travelcards on the way home for myself and my friend, which *should* be
fine), etc.

LU staff should be armed with guns to shoot the touts. There are *always*
touts at certain stations, arrest a few, lock them in the cells for a couple
of days, and I'm sure they'll be a decrease.

Helen Deborah Vecht October 22nd 03 01:04 PM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

"Paul Weaver" typed

Which, I believe, is not enough on its own. Some people have a lousy memory,
some people may have had the ticket bought for them (as in I get 2
travelcards on the way home for myself and my friend, which *should* be
fine), etc.

I'm sad enough to inform any recipient of a ticket I buy for them of its
provenance. Boyfriend has lousy memory, granted.

LU staff should be armed with guns to shoot the touts.

Might be fun but the namby-pamby Human Rights people would squeal...

There are *always*
touts at certain stations, arrest a few, lock them in the cells for a couple
of days, and I'm sure they'll be a decrease.

The Golders Green toutess is seldom elsewhere, though I have observed
her at Leicester Square. Nobody seems to stop her. Perhaps you have the
answer ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.