London Banter

-   -   Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/886-help-what-happens-now-buying.html)

Mike Harrison October 22nd 03 09:44 AM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:19:27 +0100, . wrote:

Hi all,
A friend of mine was on a London bus and a revenue inspector got on.
The Revenue Inspector asked my friend "What station did you buy this
travelcard from". The revenue inspector also asked "How much did you
pay for this ticket"

It was £5.10 and they said that they paid around £6 at the time.
The revenue inspector said that this was the wrong amount.
Also they didn't give him the correct answer as to where they bought
it.

He has my friend's address and he said he will report them to London
Transport.

I think London Transport will go along the lines of buying a ticket
from a tout.

If my friend really did buy a travel card from a tout for £1, would
they get in big trouble??

Is finding a travelcard on the floor less serious than buying one from
a tout?

Can you get in deep trouble for transferring a ticket?
Is fare evading on a bus less serious than fare evading on the tube?

Does anyone know what happens next, will they get a summons,
if it goes to court, what do they say or do?

Thanks in advance.

Can't see how they could prove anything - I wouldn't worry.

Graham Hick October 22nd 03 02:40 PM

Mike Harrison wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:19:27 +0100, . wrote:

Hi all,
A friend of mine was on a London bus and a revenue inspector got on.
The Revenue Inspector asked my friend "What station did you buy this
travelcard from". The revenue inspector also asked "How much did you
pay for this ticket"

It was £5.10 and they said that they paid around £6 at the time.
The revenue inspector said that this was the wrong amount.
Also they didn't give him the correct answer as to where they bought
it.

He has my friend's address and he said he will report them to London
Transport.

This happened to me a few years ago. The bit about the revenue inspector
not believing where the ticket was bought or how much it cost. The
difference being that my ticket was a legitimate Annual Travelcard for
zones 1-3. Actually a corporate "season ticket loan" meaning my employer
buys it and I pay them back for it.

This was about 2am on a night bus, therefore my faculties were not at
their best and I was off by 50 quid or so when he asked how much I'd paid
for it. However I was correct in telling him that it was purchased from
Liverpool Street but he wouldn't believe that - not sure why.

He took my name & address and said I'd have to leave the bus at the next
stop - until he looked at the back of the ticket and saw my employer's
name rubber-stamped on the back with my name written in ink inside it...

A bit of a scary moment, but I figured that if he threw me off the bus
I could (a) wait for the next one and (b) file an official compliant
about him - knowing that my ticket was 100% valid.

Robin May October 22nd 03 03:37 PM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

(Graham Hick) wrote the following in:
om

This happened to me a few years ago. The bit about the revenue
inspector not believing where the ticket was bought or how much it
cost. The difference being that my ticket was a legitimate Annual
Travelcard for zones 1-3. Actually a corporate "season ticket
loan" meaning my employer buys it and I pay them back for it.

snip account of run in with revenue inspector

Bus revenue inspectors I've come accross have been much less bothered.
I was on a bus the other day and a revenue inspector asked to see my
ticket. I showed him my oystercard and that was him satisfied even
though he had no way of knowing what ticket was on it.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.

Helen Deborah Vecht October 22nd 03 03:53 PM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

.. typed

On 22 Oct 2003 07:40:29 -0700, (Graham
Hick) wrote:

Mike Harrison wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:19:27 +0100, . wrote:

This was about 2am on a night bus, therefore my faculties were not at
their best and I was off by 50 quid or so when he asked how much I'd paid
for it. However I was correct in telling him that it was purchased from
Liverpool Street but he wouldn't believe that - not sure why.

A bit of a scary moment, but I figured that if he threw me off the bus
I could (a) wait for the next one and (b) file an official compliant
about him - knowing that my ticket was 100% valid.

They also asked "what time did you buy it" and "what zones is it",
"did you buy it from the machine or the ticket office", "how did you
pay for it" , "how much change did you get back"
They answered the time correctly and the zones.

The revenue inspector was more concerned with being 90p off and the
wrong station for some reason.

A bit mean I think!!

You'd better get *really* sad and read your travelcards for their time
of issue, learning a few station codes as well...

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Kat October 22nd 03 06:48 PM

"Robin May" wrote in message
(Graham Hick) wrote the following in:
om

This happened to me a few years ago. The bit about the revenue
inspector not believing where the ticket was bought or how much it
cost. The difference being that my ticket was a legitimate Annual
Travelcard for zones 1-3. Actually a corporate "season ticket
loan" meaning my employer buys it and I pay them back for it.

snip account of run in with revenue inspector

Bus revenue inspectors I've come accross have been much less bothered.
I was on a bus the other day and a revenue inspector asked to see my
ticket. I showed him my oystercard and that was him satisfied even
though he had no way of knowing what ticket was on it.

You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Dave Newt October 23rd 03 11:43 AM

Kat wrote:

"Robin May" wrote in message
(Graham Hick) wrote the following in:
om

This happened to me a few years ago. The bit about the revenue
inspector not believing where the ticket was bought or how much it
cost. The difference being that my ticket was a legitimate Annual
Travelcard for zones 1-3. Actually a corporate "season ticket
loan" meaning my employer buys it and I pay them back for it.

snip account of run in with revenue inspector

Bus revenue inspectors I've come accross have been much less bothered.
I was on a bus the other day and a revenue inspector asked to see my
ticket. I showed him my oystercard and that was him satisfied even
though he had no way of knowing what ticket was on it.

You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Which if you renew online you don't get. Are we supposed to carry an A4
printout of the website receipt everywhere we go now?

Jason October 23rd 03 12:12 PM

Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:43:22 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Kat wrote:
You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Which if you renew online you don't get. Are we supposed to carry an A4
printout of the website receipt everywhere we go now?

This reminders me of the photocard driving licence that needs to have
a paper counter-part to be vaild. One step forward, two steps back...

Cheers,

Jason.

Barry Salter October 23rd 03 12:16 PM

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:48:10 -0700, "Kat" wrote:

"Robin May" wrote in message

Bus revenue inspectors I've come accross have been much less bothered.
I was on a bus the other day and a revenue inspector asked to see my
ticket. I showed him my oystercard and that was him satisfied even
though he had no way of knowing what ticket was on it.

You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Actually, you don't have to, though you won't get a Gold Card discount
on National Rail without it. And if you renew online you don't get a new
record card anyway.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter,
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.

Stimpy October 23rd 03 05:31 PM

wrote:

Kat wrote:
You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Which if you renew online you don't get. Are we supposed to carry an
A4 printout of the website receipt everywhere we go now?

This reminders me of the photocard driving licence that needs to have
a paper counter-part to be vaild. One step forward, two steps back...

Photocard license to conform to European legislation/directive; paper
counterpart to keep the UK police happy

Kat October 23rd 03 07:34 PM

"Robin May" wrote in message

Bus revenue inspectors I've come accross have been much less bothered.
I was on a bus the other day and a revenue inspector asked to see my
ticket. I showed him my oystercard and that was him satisfied even
though he had no way of knowing what ticket was on it.

You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Actually, you don't have to, though you won't get a Gold Card discount
on National Rail without it. And if you renew online you don't get a new
record card anyway.

In that case (and in answer to the original point) I suppose that all
revenue inspectors will carry something akin to our hand-held checkers.

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto