Old August 2nd 09, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bendies

Does anyone know if the bits of road that were messed around with to make
bendy introduction possible will revert when the bendies are gone? I am
thinking in particular of the eastern end of Devonshire St having been made
one way to facilitate the 453, but there may be other bits too.

Old August 4th 09, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 2 Aug, 19:45, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Does anyone know if the bits of road that were messed around with to make
bendy introduction possible will revert when the bendies are gone? I am
thinking in particular of the eastern end of Devonshire St having been made
one way to facilitate the 453, but there may be other bits too.

On that topic, more often than strutural chantges, changes have been
made to where routes stop, often resulting in illogical groupings. It
would be good if they could be rearranged when bendys go. If they
go. I am not holding my breath.
Old August 4th 09, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
Does anyone know if the bits of road that were messed around with to make
bendy introduction possible will revert when the bendies are gone? I am
thinking in particular of the eastern end of Devonshire St having been made
one way to facilitate the 453, but there may be other bits too.

I thought that the bendies were going to be around for a while to come.
Old August 18th 09, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 4, 9:40*pm, MIG wrote:

On 2 Aug, 19:45, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Does anyone know if the bits of road that were messed around with to make
bendy introduction possible will revert when the bendies are gone? I am
thinking in particular of the eastern end of Devonshire St having been made
one way to facilitate the 453, but there may be other bits too.

On that topic, more often than strutural chantges, changes have been
made to where routes stop, often resulting in illogical groupings. *It
would be good if they could be rearranged when bendys go. *If they
go. *I am not holding my breath.

Out of interest, can you give any specific examples?

My impression is that, at least in some places, locations that
previously had two distinct bus stops had those stops merged together
and the new 'super-stop' was then served by all passing routes. Far
easier to comprehend and more user friendly IMO, though I'm sure the
counter argument will be that these stops become too congested
(however I don't think this is really a problem).
Old August 18th 09, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 18 Aug, 16:48, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 4, 9:40*pm, MIG wrote:

On 2 Aug, 19:45, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

[...]

Paul has already mentioned Tottenham Court Road, which was the main
area I had in mind, and which seems to have changed more than once.

I have also been fooled by Mornington Crescent, although I thi-ink
that's mainly just a swapping round, ie 24 and 29 now stopping where
the 88 used to so that the 29s can fit in.

Old August 19th 09, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
Does anyone know if the bits of road that were messed around with to make
bendy introduction possible will revert when the bendies are gone? I am
thinking in particular of the eastern end of Devonshire St having been made
one way to facilitate the 453, but there may be other bits too.

In the case of the 38, one of the last pieces of that's just been
announced as going ahead, including putting a contraflow bus lane across
Piccadilly Circus from Shaftesbury Avenue into Piccadilly.

Of course this benefits the 38 whatever shape it is, along with several
other non-bendy routes. It does take roadspace away from other
motorists though, but since it's being done by Westminster Council and
Boris's TfL it's obviously a Perfectly Sensible Common Sense Approach
rather than a Stalinist Meddling With The Private Motorist. So it goes.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/12367.aspx

Tom
Old August 19th 09, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 08:48:09AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

My impression is that, at least in some places, locations that
previously had two distinct bus stops had those stops merged together
and the new 'super-stop' was then served by all passing routes. Far
easier to comprehend and more user friendly IMO, though I'm sure the
counter argument will be that these stops become too congested
(however I don't think this is really a problem).

It is a problem where there are railings along the edge of the pavement
and room for only one bus to pull up next to the un-constrained area.
Combine that with traffic lights and you annoy a *lot* of passengers.
Good examples are Piccadilly Circus (westbound on Piccadilly) and
Thornton Heath station (northbound)

The obvious solutions a

* get rid of (some of) the railings;
* put bus stops right at the traffic lights so buses don't have to stop
twice in a space of 30 feet (admittedly this won't work at all
junctions, but in that case the bus stop should be moved back);
* allow bus drivers to open the doors if they are pulled up behind a bus
that is at a bus stop (or if they are behind a bus that is behind a
bus at a bus stop, and so on)

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

It wouldn't hurt to think like a serial killer every so often.
Purely for purposes of prevention, of course.
Old August 21st 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Barry" wrote in message

In the case of the 38, one of the last pieces of that's just been
announced as going ahead, including putting a contraflow bus lane across
Piccadilly Circus from Shaftesbury Avenue into Piccadilly.

Of course this benefits the 38 whatever shape it is, along with several
other non-bendy routes. It does take roadspace away from other motorists
though, but since it's being done by Westminster Council and Boris's TfL
it's obviously a Perfectly Sensible Common Sense Approach rather than a
Stalinist Meddling With The Private Motorist. So it goes.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/12367.aspx

Is this not a return to the original layout of the Piccadilly bus lane,
which allowed westbound buses to go straight across Piccadilly Circus? My
recollection is that the layout was changed and the current routing
introduced around 1990.

Martin

Old August 22nd 09, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Rich wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/12367.aspx

Is this not a return to the original layout of the Piccadilly bus lane,
which allowed westbound buses to go straight across Piccadilly Circus?
My recollection is that the layout was changed and the current routing
introduced around 1990.

Martin

Good point, which can only really be settled by finding some old
pictures for comparison. I do note that the Westminster Council chap
quoted says:

"This is the first major change to traffic around Piccadilly Circus in
half a century"

but then that all depends on your definition of 'major'.

Tom
Old August 22nd 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Barry wrote:
Martin Rich wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/12367.aspx

Is this not a return to the original layout of the Piccadilly bus
lane, which allowed westbound buses to go straight across Piccadilly
Circus? My recollection is that the layout was changed and the
current routing introduced around 1990.

Martin

Good point, which can only really be settled by finding some old
pictures for comparison. I do note that the Westminster Council chap
quoted says:

"This is the first major change to traffic around Piccadilly Circus in
half a century"

but then that all depends on your definition of 'major'.

Tom

Digging around, the LT Museum has this from 1972:

http://www.ltmcollection.org/photos/...large=i00005nx

The difference presumably is that the new lane will go north of Eros,
while the old one went south.

Tom