London Banter

-   -   De-bendification of 507 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9100-de-bendification-507-a.html)

Chris Read August 17th 09 07:32 PM

De-bendification of 507

How's it going with the baby Citaros?

Anyone have horror stories of gross overcrowding, or Victoria bus station
overwhelmed with the frequency of the service?

Or is all tickety-boo?

Chris
(an anxious 521 regular)

[email protected] August 17th 09 08:13 PM

De-bendification of 507

In article ,
(Chris Read) wrote:

How's it going with the baby Citaros?

Anyone have horror stories of gross overcrowding, or Victoria bus
station overwhelmed with the frequency of the service?

Or is all tickety-boo?

Chris
(an anxious 521 regular)

A bit early to tell, what with the school holidays, surely?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell August 18th 09 10:43 AM

De-bendification of 507

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 08:32:34PM +0100, Chris Read wrote:

Anyone have horror stories of gross overcrowding, or Victoria bus station
overwhelmed with the frequency of the service?

Victoria bus station was horribly overwhelmed on Saturday when I wanted
to catch a bus there, but the gridlock was more caused by the roadworks
on Buckingham Palace Road than anything else, I think.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

EINE KIRCHE! EIN KREDO! EIN PAPST!

James Farrar August 18th 09 07:32 PM

De-bendification of 507

David Cantrell wrote in
k:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 08:32:34PM +0100, Chris Read wrote:

Anyone have horror stories of gross overcrowding, or Victoria bus
station overwhelmed with the frequency of the service?

Victoria bus station was horribly overwhelmed on Saturday when I
wanted to catch a bus there, but the gridlock was more caused by the
roadworks on Buckingham Palace Road than anything else, I think.

It was dreadful the previous Sunday too - in the end my GF and I ended up
getting offf the bus we were on two stops early and walking. Part of the
bus station itself was closed too.

David Jackman[_2_] August 18th 09 08:52 PM

De-bendification of 507

"Chris Read" wrote in news:F-qdnaM_
:

an anxious 521 regular

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee National and
the route worked just fine prior to bendification I really wouldn't expect
it to be a big deal (and much less eventful than the early days of the
bendies!!)

David

Chris Read August 18th 09 09:53 PM

De-bendification of 507

"David Jackman" pleasereplytogroup wrote:

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee National and
the route worked just fine prior to bendification I really wouldn't expect
it to be a big deal (and much less eventful than the early days of the
bendies!!)

But how does the frequency compare with National days? I thought there was a
higher PVR now, hence my comment about congestion at terminals, but maybe
I'm wrong there.

Chris

Mizter T August 18th 09 10:29 PM

De-bendification of 507

On Aug 18, 9:52*pm, David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote in news:F-qdnaM_
:

an anxious 521 regular

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee National and
the route worked just fine prior to bendification I really wouldn't expect
it to be a big deal (and much less eventful than the early days of the
bendies!!) *

You're making the presumption that passenger numbers haven't changed
since those days of yore.

Railist August 19th 09 07:52 AM

De-bendification of 507

On 18 Aug, 23:29, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:52*pm, David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote in news:F-qdnaM_
:

an anxious 521 regular

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee National and
the route worked just fine prior to bendification I really wouldn't expect
it to be a big deal (and much less eventful than the early days of the
bendies!!) *

You're making the presumption that passenger numbers haven't changed
since those days of yore.

I've noticed the 507 has been crush loaded on several occasions, with
two packed buses leaving at the same time. This doesn't bode well for
other routes...

[email protected] August 19th 09 09:00 AM

De-bendification of 507

On 18 Aug 2009 19:32:26 GMT
James Farrar wrote:
David Cantrell wrote in
. uk:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 08:32:34PM +0100, Chris Read wrote:

Anyone have horror stories of gross overcrowding, or Victoria bus
station overwhelmed with the frequency of the service?

Victoria bus station was horribly overwhelmed on Saturday when I
wanted to catch a bus there, but the gridlock was more caused by the
roadworks on Buckingham Palace Road than anything else, I think.

It was dreadful the previous Sunday too - in the end my GF and I ended up
getting offf the bus we were on two stops early and walking. Part of the
bus station itself was closed too.

Unless you're completely cash strapped why subject yourself to long
distance poverty travel in the first place? Get a train.

B2003

Tom Barry August 19th 09 09:55 AM

De-bendification of 507

David Jackman wrote:
"Chris Read" wrote in news:F-qdnaM_
:

an anxious 521 regular

Given that a MEC is basically an updated version of a standee National and
the route worked just fine prior to bendification I really wouldn't expect
it to be a big deal (and much less eventful than the early days of the
bendies!!)

David

Um, as usual in this debate people forget the large increase in
passenger numbers since 2002, much as people forget the large increase
in passenger size since Routemaster days when moaning about modern buses
being so big and wide and everything and forget the large increase in
car ownership since the streets were nice and clear* and had fewer
traffic lights, one way streets, traffic wardens, bus lanes and clutter.

This is presumably the reason behind having so many seats removed from
the buses - someone did the maths and worked out that either PVR goes to
stupid-o-clock or you run 'em full and standing. Actually, does anyone
have the National's seat/standing ratio figures?

Tom

* which they weren't of course, I'm just having a rant at radical
nostalgia freaks as usual. Reasonable, since they appear to want to
raid my wallet to pay for their fantasies.