London Banter

-   -   When Tube maps were monochrome... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9377-when-tube-maps-were-monochrome.html)

Offramp September 8th 09 03:58 PM

When Tube maps were monochrome...

On the Brompton Road thread someone mentioned that soon LUL will run
out of colours for the lines.
That reminded me of the days when some diaries, and I think the back
of the London A-Z used to include a map of the London Underground in
monochrome.
I vaguely remember various lines, stripes, circles and cross-hatchings
used to distinguish one line from another.

Great days!

Mizter T September 8th 09 04:23 PM

On Sep 8, 4:58*pm, Offramp wrote:
On the Brompton Road thread someone mentioned that soon LUL will run
out of colours for the lines.
That reminded me of the days when some diaries, and I think the back
of the London A-Z used to include a map of the London Underground in
monochrome.
I vaguely remember various lines, stripes, circles and cross-hatchings
used to distinguish one line from another.

Great days!

Knock yourself out...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-print-map.pdf

The Victoria line's 'go faster stripe' matches it's (generally) rapid
operation, me thinks.

MIG September 8th 09 05:18 PM

On 8 Sep, 17:23, Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 8, 4:58*pm, Offramp wrote:

On the Brompton Road thread someone mentioned that soon LUL will run
out of colours for the lines.
That reminded me of the days when some diaries, and I think the back
of the London A-Z used to include a map of the London Underground in
monochrome.
I vaguely remember various lines, stripes, circles and cross-hatchings
used to distinguish one line from another.

Great days!

Knock yourself out...http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-print-map.pdf

The Victoria line's 'go faster stripe' matches it's (generally) rapid
operation, me thinks.

My only non-lost A - Z has got one on the back.

It's the 1990 Deluxe edition.

Mizter T September 8th 09 05:28 PM

When Tube maps were monochrome...

On Sep 8, 5:23*pm, Mizter T wrote:

[snip]

Knock yourself out...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-print-map.pdf

The Victoria line's 'go faster stripe' matches it's (generally) rapid
operation, me thinks.

And that comment matches my self-diagnosis of apostrophitus.

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] September 8th 09 10:14 PM

When Tube maps were monochrome...

In message
,
Mizter T wrote:
I vaguely remember various lines, stripes, circles and cross-hatchings
used to distinguish one line from another.

Knock yourself out...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-print-map.pdf

That's not how it used to be.

District was a string of solid circles. Northern was solid black and
Circle was white with black edges.

Then I think Met was transverse stripes, the way they're showing the H&C
(in those days that was part of the Met, of course). I think Bakerloo
was alternate black and white the way they're showing it while the
Central was a string of triangles. That leaves the Piccadilly, and I
have no memory of what that looked like.

When the Victoria came along, it had diagonal stripes (like the H&C, but
with the stripes at 45 degrees to the borders).

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Roland Perry September 9th 09 10:27 AM

When Tube maps were monochrome...

In message , at 23:14:42 on Tue, 8
Sep 2009, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
Then I think Met was transverse stripes, the way they're showing the
H&C (in those days that was part of the Met, of course). I think
Bakerloo was alternate black and white the way they're showing it while
the Central was a string of triangles. That leaves the Piccadilly, and
I have no memory of what that looked like.

Like the Met, but bolder.