London Banter

-   -   Pensioner rail pass rules (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/945-pensioner-rail-pass-rules.html)

Henry October 30th 03 07:25 AM

Pensioner rail pass rules

If possible, could someone please point me to somewhere on the web which
explains the rules which govern which is the first train of the day a holder
of a pensioner rail pass may catch (the pass which gives a reduced ticket
price on main line). Depending upon who you ask, you always seem to get a
different answer.

I am specifically interested in the route from Three Bridges to East Croydon
and Victoria.

Peter Beale October 30th 03 07:53 AM

Pensioner rail pass rules

In article , (Henry) wrote:

If possible, could someone please point me to somewhere on the web
which explains the rules which govern which is the first train of the day a
holder of a pensioner rail pass may catch (the pass which gives a reduced
ticket price on main line). Depending upon who you ask, you always seem to
get a different answer.

I am specifically interested in the route from Three Bridges to East
Croydon and Victoria.

"The Railcard discount is not available on tickets when journeys are made
wholly within the London and South East area... on morning peak period
services, Monday to Firday (not including peak period services)."

This usually means before 9.30 a.m., or trains arriving at the London
terminus before 10.00 a.m., whichever is the earlier. It applies also "against
the flow", so that e.g. I was unable to use the railcard for Salisbury to Honiton
on a train leaving before 9.30, although in my carriage there were six passengers
of whom three were SWT staff.

--
Peter Beale

Terry Harper October 30th 03 03:52 PM

Pensioner rail pass rules

"Henry" wrote in message
If possible, could someone please point me to somewhere on the web which
explains the rules which govern which is the first train of the day a

holder
of a pensioner rail pass may catch (the pass which gives a reduced ticket
price on main line). Depending upon who you ask, you always seem to get a
different answer.

I am specifically interested in the route from Three Bridges to East

Croydon
and Victoria.

That is entirely within the old London area, and the "after 9.30" rule
applies. If you started from Balcombe, the "After 10.00" rule applies.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Henry October 31st 03 07:11 AM

Pensioner rail pass rules

Thanks for the responses, but can you tell me where I can find an
explanation of how these "rules" work, because it seems very complicated and
I would like to understand (if that is possible) the reasoning behind it.

cheers

Henry

Peter Beale October 31st 03 10:23 AM

Pensioner rail pass rules

In article , (Henry) wrote:

Thanks for the responses, but can you tell me where I can find an
explanation of how these "rules" work, because it seems very
complicated and I would like to understand (if that is possible) the reasoning behind
it.

The Senior Railcard site says:-

The commencement of the morning-peak services does vary by route and is normally related to the availability of Cheap Day tickets. You
are therefore strongly advised to check with ticket office staff before buying tickets.

SouthCentral defines off-peak (e.g. in their blurb about travelcards) as:-

anytime Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays and after 9.30am Monday to Friday, or earlier if trains arrive after 10.00am.

HTH.

--
Peter Beale

Peter Lawrence October 31st 03 04:47 PM

Pensioner rail pass rules

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:23 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Peter Beale) wrote:

The Senior Railcard site says:-

The commencement of the morning-peak services does vary by route and is normally related to the availability of Cheap Day tickets. You
are therefore strongly advised to check with ticket office staff before buying tickets.

SouthCentral defines off-peak (e.g. in their blurb about travelcards) as:-

anytime Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays and after 9.30am Monday to Friday, or earlier if trains arrive after 10.00am.

Which does not seem to cover journeys 'against the flow'.

Thameslink site and leaflets do not seem to have any information on
the subject (and I have had trouble with their ticket machines
following different rules to booking clerks). However their 'against
the flow' cheap day tickets are valid from 0900 so railcards may be
also.
--
Peter Lawrence