Old October 14th 09, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

In message , at 20:31:38 on Wed, 14 Oct
2009, " remarked:

A colleague flying Business Class on United got bumped Saturday
(flight cancelled) and had to wait 24hrs for the next flight.

But, for the premium paid to travel first class

Business class.

and for the fact that it was not his fault, did the airline look after
him?

A free hotel room for 24hrs, and half the weekend trashed. (It was a
her, incidentally).

Old October 14th 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 20:30:26 on Wed, 14 Oct
2009, " remarked:
There was a service a few years ago, that was running trains out of
Waterloo to Southampton for about £1.

Still is, called Megatrain.

The problem, however, was that passengers who paid that fare were
confined to one car on the train.

Didn't last long, according to reports from travellers. Now any carriage
is acceptable.

I'm under the impression that it was not the most pleasant journey.

Why's that? Many advance purchase train tickets today are issued with
compulsory reservations. What's the unpleasantness if they turn out to
be all in one carriage?
Old October 14th 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

If anything the Berlin Metro train to get to the airport, plus the long
walk to the actual airport from the station [1], was the worst aspect
of the trip.

[1] Presumably that's Ryanair's fault too!!

Considering Ryanair use Schonefeld, rather than Tegel like the "proper"
airlines - yes, it is...
Old October 14th 09, 07:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 20:20:35 on Wed, 14 Oct
2009, " remarked:
Not yet, but I may travel in Business on an Emirates 380 in the
spring. FC is a stupid price!

How is it stupid?

By being about £10k
Old October 14th 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:47:08 on Wed, 14
Oct 2009, Adrian remarked:
If anything the Berlin Metro train to get to the airport, plus the long
walk to the actual airport from the station [1], was the worst aspect
of the trip.

[1] Presumably that's Ryanair's fault too!!

Considering Ryanair use Schonefeld, rather than Tegel like the "proper"
airlines - yes, it is...

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Tegel isn't even on the Metro
(you have to get a bus).

Old October 14th 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:38:41 on Wed, 14 Oct
2009, " remarked:
Neil Williams wrote:
On Oct 13, 2:51 pm, Roland Perry wrote:

Which is the same reason most people won't travel by train.

Indeed. Ryanair, as with trains, can be fine. I have used them
several times and have never had any kind of problem (other than lack
of legroom), nor been hit with any "hidden" fees.
Neil

I've heard reports that they in the past charged people £4 for a
boarding pass, just out of the blue, with no warning whatsoever.

I hear lots of thing. Not all are true.

Old October 14th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:34:56 on Wed, 14 Oct
2009, " remarked:
Indeed, Ryanair's planes are mainly pretty new, and not bad to travel
on at all.

No reclining seats,

I like that, it means the person in front can't invade my personal
space.

no pouch in the back of the previous seats,

Why is that a problem? All they have in them is a magazine and...

instructions printed onto the back of each seat,

....safety instructions that are more obvious glued to the seatback.

surly staff,

They aren't the best, I agree. But they aren't any worse than the
majority of bus/train employees.

and possibly standing room only in the future.

Chatter, chatter. [Although in fact you've fallen for yet another bit of
Ryanair virus marketing. They know it would never be allowed to have pax
stood in the aisles, even if the fare was lower. Gets them more media
exposure though, which is exactly what they want.]

I'm just wondering how this doesn't differ from the Tube.

The Tube seems very popular.
Old October 14th 09, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message
" wrote:

[snip]
There was a service a few years ago, that was running trains out of
Waterloo to Southampton for about £1. The problem, however, was that
passengers who paid that fare were confined to one car on the train. I'm
under the impression that it was not the most pleasant journey.

Still exists though I've never actually seen a £1 fare available. It's not a
seperate train but Megatrain have bought batches of tickets on SWT services.
So the journey is the same as travelling on an ordinary SWT ticket, these
days they don't even have a dedicated (part of) coach.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old October 14th 09, 10:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
MC MC is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:31:38 on Wed, 14 Oct
2009, " remarked:

A colleague flying Business Class on United got bumped Saturday (flight
cancelled) and had to wait 24hrs for the next flight.

But, for the premium paid to travel first class

Business class.

and for the fact that it was not his fault, did the airline look after
him?

A free hotel room for 24hrs, and half the weekend trashed. (It was a her,
incidentally).

If operating within the EU, compensation is also payable.

In your colleague's case, the minimum they should have expected would have
been a seat on the next flight home, hotel accommodation as necessary and
compensation set down by EU regulations. These are the minimum every
passenger should expect when the flight originates in the EU.

Why was she bumped. If it was due to overbooking, the way airline bump will
depend on the the type of ticket (flexible or budget), frequent flyer
membership, class of travel etc. I am surprised that you colleague was not
offered a seat in economy and some compensation. They would then bump an
economy passenger to make room.

Bumping happens and if I am able to spare the time until the next flight I
will always volunteer myself (at check in or via the lounge desk) on the
provision of a class upgrade on the next flight (if long haul) or a decent
cash incentive (short haul). I have never been bumped or downgraded so
volunteering from the outset seems to work ). There seems to be no
incentive to volunteer being bumped on a budget airline though.

MC

Old October 14th 09, 10:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
MC MC is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:20:35 on Wed, 14 Oct
2009, " remarked:
Not yet, but I may travel in Business on an Emirates 380 in the spring.
FC is a stupid price!

How is it stupid?

By being about £10k

'Tis rather silly. One may argue whether or not it is actually worth it.
For royalty and "A list" celebs who want some privacy it may be worth the
money but if I had that sort of money to throw around I would certainly give
it a go. However, I have occasionally seen discount fares for FC on the
A380 for around half the amount you mention. Don't ask me where to though.

MC