Old October 13th 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Question about Network Card validity on LU connections before 10am

[Crossposted to uk.railway and uk.transport.london]

Could anyone enlighten me as to whether the LU portion of a Network Card
discount National Rail ticket can be used before 10am?

The particular scenario is that I buy an Off-Peak Return (SVR) from
Cambridge (CBG) to Heathrow Underground (ZHJ), discounted with a Network
Railcard.

On the return leg of the journey, I wish to leave Heathrow Underground
at 09:30, say. As far as I was aware, this wouldn't be allowed, since
Network Card discounted tickets aren't valid for travel before 10am.

But the NRE Journey Planner is happy to offer me the Network Card
discounted fare as long as the connecting train from Kings Cross doesn't
depart before 10am - i.e. the Journey Planner seems to think the "not
before 10am" restriction applies only to the National Rail portion of
the journey, and not to the LU section.

Is the Journey Planner correct? It would be useful to me on occasion if
this were the case, but I have a suspicion that maybe this is just a bug
in the Journey Planner.

Anyone know the answer?

Cheers,

-roy

Old October 13th 09, 08:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Oct 13, 8:47*pm, Roy Badami wrote:
[...]

think you are very unlikely to get an excess fare charged on the tube
portion of the journey !
Old October 13th 09, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anglia Traveller wrote:
think you are very unlikely to get an excess fare charged on the tube
portion of the journey !

Yeah, sure, but I'm just trying to figure out the _correct_ ticket to
purchase for such a journey.

-roy
Old October 13th 09, 11:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
[...]

It's possible the following condition applies for the Heathrow to King's
Cross part of the journey:

"Off-Peak tickets for journeys
starting within the Network
Area to destinations outside
the Network Area with travel
via London are valid by any
train to London, to connect
with trains from London."

Be aware that if it doesn't the ticket could be rejected by the gates -
although if you have luggage you may well be using a manual side gate.

D A Stocks

Old October 14th 09, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (David A
Stocks) wrote:

Be aware that if it doesn't the ticket could be rejected by the
gates - although if you have luggage you may well be using a manual
side gate.

Increasingly, IME, wide gates are used and not manual ones. I used wide
gates exclusively on recent trips between Kings Cross and Paddington with
luggage, with no manual gates in sight.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 14th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
[Crossposted to uk.railway and uk.transport.london]

Could anyone enlighten me as to whether the LU portion of a Network Card
discount National Rail ticket can be used before 10am?

Another scenario this question has reminded me of, is if you stay overnight
in London and have bought an outboundary Super-off Peak day travelcard for
the next day between a SWT station (intending to travel to the outboundary
station later in the day), can you still use it within the travelcard zones
on SWT routes in the morning?

The confusion might arise where the gripper believes you have travelled from
the outboundary station before Super-off Peak tickets are valid (but you
were already in London).

Old October 14th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

David A Stocks wrote:

It's possible the following condition applies for the Heathrow to King's
Cross part of the journey:

"Off-Peak tickets for journeys
starting within the Network
Area to destinations outside
the Network Area with travel
via London are valid by any
train to London, to connect
with trains from London."

That's talking about off-peak tickets, not railcard-discounted tickets,
so isn't directly relevent here. I think (could be wrong) that
restrictions on off-peak tickets generally *are* taken with respect to
the National Rail portion of the journey.

The reason that I'm less sure about the railcard case is that you get
the railcard discount on the entire value of the ticket, not just the
national rail portion.

Be aware that if it doesn't the ticket could be rejected by the gates -
although if you have luggage you may well be using a manual side gate.

Actually, I very much doubt that the LUL gates are able to make such
subtle distinctions.

-roy
Old October 14th 09, 11:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Bob Harris wrote:
Another scenario this question has reminded me of, is if you stay overnight
in London and have bought an outboundary Super-off Peak day travelcard for
the next day between a SWT station (intending to travel to the outboundary
station later in the day), can you still use it within the travelcard zones
on SWT routes in the morning?

The confusion might arise where the gripper believes you have travelled from
the outboundary station before Super-off Peak tickets are valid (but you
were already in London).

I would have thought you'd be OK as long as it's after 9.30am - hence
not requiring a Peak Travelcard. (I agree it would probably confuse the
gripper somewhat.)

It's analogous to the situation that comes up here now and again of
someone that completes a return journey to London using an outboundary
Travelcard, and then later that day returns to London by other means -
can they continue to use the Travelcard for travel within the zones? I
*think* the opinion here has generally been 'yes', but it's probably not
100% clear cut.

-roy