London Banter

-   -   photocard for weekly travelcards for only zones 1 and/or 2 required again (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/974-photocard-weekly-travelcards-only-zones.html)

Pritesh November 5th 03 04:03 PM

photocard for weekly travelcards for only zones 1 and/or 2 required again

From May this year weekly travelcards covering only zones only 1 and 2
or just 1 or 2 were exempt from requiring a photocard. But this
exemption was dropped this month. Why? Why was this exemption
introduced in the first place? Is anything to do with congestion
charging or to encourage more people to use public transport?

Robert Woolley November 5th 03 06:49 PM

photocard for weekly travelcards for only zones 1 and/or 2 required again

On 5 Nov 2003 09:03:03 -0800, (Pritesh) wrote:

From May this year weekly travelcards covering only zones only 1 and 2
or just 1 or 2 were exempt from requiring a photocard. But this
exemption was dropped this month. Why? Why was this exemption
introduced in the first place? Is anything to do with congestion
charging or to encourage more people to use public transport?

Nothing to do with Congestion Charging.

I believe its an experiment by London Underground (following on from
the experiment in the Stamford Brook/Turnham Green area on the
District).

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Pritesh November 6th 03 11:20 AM

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 5 Nov 2003 09:03:03 -0800, (Pritesh) wrote:

From May this year weekly travelcards covering only zones only 1 and 2
or just 1 or 2 were exempt from requiring a photocard. But this
exemption was dropped this month. Why? Why was this exemption
introduced in the first place? Is anything to do with congestion
charging or to encourage more people to use public transport?

Nothing to do with Congestion Charging.

I believe its an experiment by London Underground (following on from
the experiment in the Stamford Brook/Turnham Green area on the
District).

Rob.

What experiment is that ?

Robert Woolley November 7th 03 07:53 PM

On 6 Nov 2003 04:20:03 -0800, (Pritesh) wrote:

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 5 Nov 2003 09:03:03 -0800,
(Pritesh) wrote:

From May this year weekly travelcards covering only zones only 1 and 2
or just 1 or 2 were exempt from requiring a photocard. But this
exemption was dropped this month. Why? Why was this exemption
introduced in the first place? Is anything to do with congestion
charging or to encourage more people to use public transport?

Nothing to do with Congestion Charging.

I believe its an experiment by London Underground (following on from
the experiment in the Stamford Brook/Turnham Green area on the
District).

Rob.

What experiment is that ?

Trial of 7 Day Travelcards not needing a photocard...

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Pritesh November 10th 03 12:53 PM

photocard for weekly travelcards for only zones 1 and/or 2 required again

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 6 Nov 2003 04:20:03 -0800, (Pritesh) wrote:

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 5 Nov 2003 09:03:03 -0800,
(Pritesh) wrote:

From May this year weekly travelcards covering only zones only 1 and 2
or just 1 or 2 were exempt from requiring a photocard. But this
exemption was dropped this month. Why? Why was this exemption
introduced in the first place? Is anything to do with congestion
charging or to encourage more people to use public transport?

Nothing to do with Congestion Charging.

I believe its an experiment by London Underground (following on from
the experiment in the Stamford Brook/Turnham Green area on the
District).

Rob.

What experiment is that ?

Trial of 7 Day Travelcards not needing a photocard...

Rob.

Why did they do the trial in the first place ? What was the whole
objective? Is it to test commuters don't share their travelcard ? Is
it someone to do with the smartcard ?

Pritesh November 27th 03 12:40 PM

(Pritesh) wrote in message . com...
Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 6 Nov 2003 04:20:03 -0800,
(Pritesh) wrote:

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 5 Nov 2003 09:03:03 -0800,
(Pritesh) wrote:

From May this year weekly travelcards covering only zones only 1 and 2
or just 1 or 2 were exempt from requiring a photocard. But this
exemption was dropped this month. Why? Why was this exemption
introduced in the first place? Is anything to do with congestion
charging or to encourage more people to use public transport?

Nothing to do with Congestion Charging.

I believe its an experiment by London Underground (following on from
the experiment in the Stamford Brook/Turnham Green area on the
District).

Rob.

What experiment is that ?

Trial of 7 Day Travelcards not needing a photocard...

Rob.

Why did they do the trial in the first place ? What was the whole
objective? Is it to test commuters don't share their travelcard ? Is
it someone to do with the smartcard ?

Why hasn't anyone replied to my last question ? I still don't
understand the whole purpose of this travelcard exemption.

Robert Woolley November 27th 03 06:45 PM

(Pritesh) wrote:

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 5 Nov 2003 09:03:03 -0800,
(Pritesh) wrote:

From May this year weekly travelcards covering only zones only 1 and 2
[...]

Basically yes.

A photocard is effectively a barrier to use.

If you want to encourage to move from paying for single journeys then
logically the next ticket up in the TfL range is the 7 Day
Travelcard/Bus Pass.

Passenger trades up - less queueing to buy single = benefit.
More likely to do this with no photocard.

No photocard = possible multiple use of card = disbenefit.

Rob.

--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Pritesh November 28th 03 12:44 PM

photocard for weekly travelcards for only zones 1 and/or 2 required again

Why did they do the trial in the first place ? What was the whole
objective? Is it to test commuters don't share their travelcard ? Is
it someone to do with the smartcard ?

Why hasn't anyone replied to my last question ? I still don't
understand the whole purpose of this travelcard exemption.

Basically yes.

A photocard is effectively a barrier to use.

If you want to encourage to move from paying for single journeys then
logically the next ticket up in the TfL range is the 7 Day
Travelcard/Bus Pass.

Passenger trades up - less queueing to buy single = benefit.
More likely to do this with no photocard.

No photocard = possible multiple use of card = disbenefit.

Is that why they brought back the photocard for weekly travelcards
for zones 1 and/or 2 ?

Rob.