Old October 25th 09, 03:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,nyc.transit

Default Staff presence at gatelines LT

On Oct 24, 5:38*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Explain the logic? You can either spend three tokens (two to get in
and one to get out) or two tokens plus the price of one token, plus
having to deal with a piece of paper to get out?

A large library probably has the Inst. Rapid Transit fare collection
survey which explains this (and other aspects) in detail.

Old October 25th 09, 04:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,nyc.transit

Hunh? Someone hands you two dimes when you leave? What's the point of
buying the transfer and selling it back, rather than just taking a
transfer and handing it in when you exit, as they do in Seattle? In
Seattle, riding downtown is free, so you pay when boarding outside
downtown, or when exiting outside downtown -- and if you're passing
through and coming out the other side, you get a "transfer" when you
board and pay, and hand that in instead of paying when you exit.

If they gave you an exit transfer for no charge, you could be a non-local
passenger and ask for the transfer and give it to someone else who could
then exit for free (not at your entry station, probably).

By charging you for it when you enter, they guarantee that you'll only buy
it if (a) you're going to use it to exit, or (b) someone will buy it from
you (which makes no sense).

Old October 25th 09, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 16:38:38 +0100, "David A Stocks"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:26:52 +0100
They managed a flat fare in New York. You ever looked at the
distance between
Times Square and Far Rockaway?

NY's flat fare only worked because geology and history combined to
provide a system that doesn't have the lack of capacity in the
central area that is experienced by London.

Surely it is entirely down to history? The use of a flat fare paid for
via a token became part of the "folklore" related to the subway
regardless of which company built what lines. From the history book
I've read on the development of NY subway there were several attempts
to get rid of the token but they all failed until Metrocard arrived.

Nonetheless the concept of a flat fare remains but so does the huge
subsidy consumed by the MTA in order to provide the bus, subway,
ferry, rail and bridge / tunnels in NYC.

I believe Mr Jay Walder (ex of TfL under Kylie) is heading up the MTA
now and the article I read that announced his appointment made the
point that the MTA finances are in a dire state (not for the first
time). Seems financial crises are not unique to London.

Seems like he wants to get TfL's help to improve the MTA:
http://secondavenuesagas.com/2009/10/23/walder-aims-to-bring-london-across-the-pond

I wonder, could Al be Boltar?

Old October 26th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 04:42:57PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

What do you think the flat would need to be, to cope with journeys
inside Z1 and also to Aylesbury, Heathrow and Epping?

I don't think it's a very sensible idea, but I can give a silly answer
if you like.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

All praise the Sun God
For He is a Fun God
Ra Ra Ra!
Old October 27th 09, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Oct, 11:51, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 04:42:57PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
What do you think the flat would need to be, to cope with journeys
inside Z1 and also to Aylesbury, Heathrow and Epping?

I don't think it's a very sensible idea, but I can give a silly answer
if you like.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

* * * * * All praise the Sun God
* * * * * For He is a Fun God
* * * * * Ra Ra Ra!

....I guess we could add 1980's Ken's fare-less plans to the
conversational mix...