London Banter

-   -   Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/976-hammersmith-city-strike-13-november.html)

Richard J. November 6th 03 12:17 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3245257.stm:
-----------------
London Underground (LU) workers from one Tube line are to go on a 24-hour
strike in protest at the sacking of a union activist. The man was seen
coming out of a squash club while on sick leave. The Rail Maritime and
Transport union (RMT) claim he had medical proof saying sporting activity
was part of his recovery programme.

About 100 RMT members who work on the Hammersmith and City Line, used by
55,000 people a day, will now walk out at 2130 GMT on 13 November. Bob
Crow, the union's general secretary, said: "This is a clear case of
victimisation of an RMT member making every effort to get back to work
after sustaining a serious injury."

A spokeswoman for London Underground said: "Playing competitive squash is
incompatible with the reasons this employee gave us for taking sick leave."
--------------------

If the union believe that the dismissal was unfair, they should take the
case to an industrial tribunal. Bob Crow's comment about victimisation
rings hollow when his response is to victimise the travelling public.
--
Richard J.

woutster November 6th 03 09:15 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

"Richard J." wrote in
:

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3245257.stm:
-----------------
[...]

I'm sure the medical insurance company had something to with seeing the
driver coming out of the squash club.

I@n November 6th 03 11:17 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:15:23 +0000, woutster
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in
:

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3245257.stm:
-----------------
[...]

I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no way
someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to push a few
buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a while if necessary.

The union want to watch themselves on this one unless they are
deliberately out to lose what little credibility they've got left with
the public.

Mark Blewett November 6th 03 11:48 PM

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 00:17:55 +0000, "I@n" -uk wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:15:23 +0000, woutster
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in
:

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3245257.stm:
-----------------
[...]

Totally agree... I work, but I wouldn't survive 10 minutes in a
squash court! In the end I think (IMHO as a member of the public) it
comes down the sacked party being a union activist, and the RMT trying
to protect their interests. Given what information has been publicly
available, it sounds like this person could have worked (in some
form), they have basically been cheating (defrauding.. if sick pay is
involved etc) LU.. and hence us the fee paying passengers.

The union want to watch themselves on this one unless they are
deliberately out to lose what little credibility they've got left with
the public.

Little? Talking to friends, the general opinion is they have no
credibility on this issue

Robin May November 6th 03 11:50 PM

"I@n" -uk wrote the following in:

I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no
way someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to
push a few buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a
while if necessary.

The union want to watch themselves on this one unless they are
deliberately out to lose what little credibility they've got left
with the public.

I don't think anyone can really comment without knowing what's meant to
have been wrong with this person and what is supposed to help them get
better.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!

Mark Blewett November 7th 03 12:05 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

On 7 Nov 2003 00:50:06 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

"I@n" -uk wrote the following in:

I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no
way someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to
push a few buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a
while if necessary.

The union want to watch themselves on this one unless they are
deliberately out to lose what little credibility they've got left
with the public.

I don't think anyone can really comment without knowing what's meant to
have been wrong with this person and what is supposed to help them get
better.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

quote:

"snip

"RMT union leaders justified the action of sacked driver Chris
Barrett, saying the squash was to help speed his recovery from an
ankle injury."

snip

He had been off sick with the injury for several months. When
confronted by the Evening Standard, he said: "I was not playing
squash. I was just exercising my ankle on a squash court."

snip"

Sorry but you don't book a squash court just to exercise and not play
squash!

Richard J. November 7th 03 12:11 AM

Robin May wrote:
"I@n" -uk wrote the following in:

I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no
way someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to
push a few buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a
while if necessary.

The union want to watch themselves on this one unless they are
deliberately out to lose what little credibility they've got left
with the public.

I don't think anyone can really comment without knowing what's meant
to have been wrong with this person and what is supposed to help them
get better.

Yes, we can't take an informed view on the medical issue, but we *can*
comment on the union's decision to strike. They have accused LU of not
following the proper process, but they are guilty of that too. What do
they industrial tribunals are for? Or perhaps they recognise that their
case is so weak that it would get thrown out?
--
Richard J.

John Rowland November 7th 03 12:34 AM

"Mark Blewett" wrote in message

He had been off sick with the injury for several
months. When confronted by the Evening
Standard, he said: "I was not playing squash.
I was just exercising my ankle on a squash court."

snip"

Sorry but you don't book a squash court just to
exercise and not play squash!

I agree. He hasn't got a leg to stand on.

As for the union being concerned that they might lose credibility with the
public, I can't think of any reason for the union to care about that. After
all, it's only the station assistants who get spat at, not Bob Crowe.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Andrew P Smith November 7th 03 06:49 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , John Rowland
writes
He hasn't got a leg to stand on.

LOL!!!!
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Jason Rumney November 7th 03 07:13 AM

Robin May writes:

I don't think anyone can really comment without knowing what's meant to
have been wrong with this person and what is supposed to help them get
better.

He had an ankle injury, it's been widely reported already. Squash is
not light exercise, escecially for ankles and knees. The guy was
taking advantage of the system and got caught. LUL followed normal
disciplinary procedure and the union has no case for a strike. If LUL
doesn't take legal action against the union for organising an illegal
strike, the passengers should.

Paul November 7th 03 08:53 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

Snippo

I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no
way someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to
push a few buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a
while if necessary.

Snippo again

I don't think anyone can really comment without knowing what's meant
to have been wrong with this person and what is supposed to help them
get better.

Are we being told the full story here?
Apparently the guy was seen leaving a squash club - Am I missing something
or was he actually seen playing squash? Maybe it's another trial by
media as opposed to the system that uses the word justice - possibly
using the words "innocent until proven guilty/ otherwise".
If his actions were within the guidelines given to him by his doctor then he
should be O.K., if not then he should close the door behind him as he
leaves.
Admittedly I don't use LU in the same way that others do but I am left
wondering what some other readers of this NG would do if the finger was
pointing at them and they felt they had done nothing wrong (and no, I don't
belong to a union).
Maybe LU can pull it off and run the system with no union involvment
whatsoever.

(Maybe the disgruntled customers who think it's .OK. to spit at staff will
be surprised when the staff spit back.)

Maybe, maybe, ...

Have a nice day ...

Paul

Boltar November 7th 03 10:05 AM

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
As for the union being concerned that they might lose credibility with the
public, I can't think of any reason for the union to care about that. After
all, it's only the station assistants who get spat at, not Bob Crowe.

Given that apparently the H&C drivers voted 2 to 1 to strike perhaps its
them who should be spat at instead, or at the least a some choice bits of
verbal abuse directed in their general vacinity. Perhaps if some of these
militant dickheads had to suffer the consequences of holding London to ransom
they wouldn't do it quite so often. Bear in mind Bob Crowe can only get
away with what he does with the majority support of his members and they
seem to give it to him quite readily.

B2003

Andrew P Smith November 7th 03 05:58 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , Paul
writes

Admittedly I don't use LU in the same way that others do but I am left
wondering what some other readers of this NG would do if the finger was
pointing at them and they felt they had done nothing wrong (and no, I don't
belong to a union).

The public are fed up with the unions who think they can hold Londoners
to ransom over every little thing. Too many people skive off, managers
included.

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North November 12th 03 09:56 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

I don't think anyone can really comment without knowing what's meant to
have been wrong with this person and what is supposed to help them get
better.

Maybe if LU drivers weren't so aggroant and full of themselves they
wouldn't think they could go and play squash when they are suppose to
be injured and think no-one is going to say anything.
Its just another excuse to call a strike. Out of interest do the union
leaders calling the strike get paid while they are on strike? Do the
drivers get paid while on strike?
Only apparently during the recent Royal Mail wildcat strikes the union
leaders in the depots calling their men to go on strike were getting
paid whilist the poor sheep who followed the strike call didn't.
Just a thought.

Clive D. W. Feather November 12th 03 05:06 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , "I@n"
-uk writes
I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no way
someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to push a few
buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a while if necessary.

Irrespective of the facts of the original case, that statement is
rubbish.

Four examples off the top of my head:

(1) The person is short of stamina and can only stay active for an hour
or two. Fine for playing squash but not for driving trains.

(2) The person has an injury in an area which doesn't affect them
playing squash but does affect train driving (e.g. left wrist of a
right-handed person, or a hip problem preventing them sitting in one
position for long periods.

(3) The injured area is reliable enough for unimportant tasks but not
for critical ones. Exercising an injured ankle through playing squash
might be recommended; if it starts to hurt, the person can stop playing,
whereas if it plays up while driving a train, they can't just stop.

(4) The person has an intermittent eyesight problem that doesn't stop
them playing a game but isn't safe for something like train driving. For
example, temporary blindness in one part of the retina, or temporary
blindness in low light.

And finally there's one that's happened to me: "don't you dare go back
to work until everything's been fine for a few days".

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Andrew P Smith November 12th 03 07:29 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , Clive D. W. Feather
writes

Irrespective of the facts of the original case, that statement is
rubbish.

Four examples off the top of my head:

(1) The person is short of stamina and can only stay active for an hour
or two. Fine for playing squash but not for driving trains.

Squash is probably the most demanding non contact sport there is. If you
can last 2 hours on the squash court then you are fit to drive a train
which does not require much physical exertion and therefore does not
require much stamina.

(2) The person has an injury in an area which doesn't affect them
playing squash but does affect train driving (e.g. left wrist of a
right-handed person, or a hip problem preventing them sitting in one
position for long periods.

All areas of the body are used when playing squash, lots of twisting and
turning, fast sprints etc. If the person was right handed and had an
injury to their left hand they wouldn't be able to serve the ball and
therefore couldn't play squash as they would be unable to do up the
laces on their sports shoes.

(3) The injured area is reliable enough for unimportant tasks but not
for critical ones. Exercising an injured ankle through playing squash
might be recommended; if it starts to hurt, the person can stop
playing, whereas if it plays up while driving a train, they can't just
stop.

Exactly how can an ankle injury stop you driving a train? Yes I know
that some stock has the PED release as a foot switch but otherwise I
don't' but that.

Jeez......

(4) The person has an intermittent eyesight problem that doesn't stop
them playing a game but isn't safe for something like train driving.
For example, temporary blindness in one part of the retina, or
temporary blindness in low light.

But they can see a squash ball whizzing around a brightly lit white
court at 35 mph.........

[email protected] November 13th 03 08:05 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article , "I@n"
-uk writes
[...]

Don't have the original posting, but just to dispel some incorrect
thinking:

A driver doesn't have to be fit to drive the train - he could be carried
into the cab and plonked on his seat and still drive the train. However
the driver does have to be fit to deal with anything (emergency or
non-emergency) that may occur while he is in charge of the train. This
often seems to get overlooked. One such thing could be detraining
passengers and/or walking along the track. Drivers have a yearly mobility
test for just this purpose (together with a basic eyesight test).

Roger

Boltar November 14th 03 11:36 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message ...
In article , "I@n"
-uk writes
I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no way
someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to push a few
buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a while if necessary.

Irrespective of the facts of the original case, that statement is
rubbish.

Four examples off the top of my head:

(1) The person is short of stamina and can only stay active for an hour
or two. Fine for playing squash but not for driving trains.

Oh bull****. Squash is one of the most active activities you can
participate in. Anyone who can play squash for "an hour or two" can
most certainly stay awake sitting on their arse pushing a lever.

(2) The person has an injury in an area which doesn't affect them
playing squash but does affect train driving (e.g. left wrist of a
right-handed person, or a hip problem preventing them sitting in one
position for long periods.

If he had a bad ankle he wouldn't be able to run around on a squash court.

(3) The injured area is reliable enough for unimportant tasks but not
for critical ones. Exercising an injured ankle through playing squash
might be recommended; if it starts to hurt, the person can stop playing,
whereas if it plays up while driving a train, they can't just stop.

Why exactly can't he drive a train even if he had a bad ankle? Last time
I looked tube trains didn't have floor pedals to operate.

(4) The person has an intermittent eyesight problem that doesn't stop
them playing a game but isn't safe for something like train driving. For
example, temporary blindness in one part of the retina, or temporary
blindness in low light.

Yeah , and if they catch anthrax it might effect their driving too. Meanwhile
back in the real world he was playing squash with a bad ankle. He was taking
the **** and LU were right to fire him.

B2003

Boltar November 14th 03 11:38 AM

wrote in message ...
A driver doesn't have to be fit to drive the train - he could be carried
into the cab and plonked on his seat and still drive the train. However
the driver does have to be fit to deal with anything (emergency or
non-emergency) that may occur while he is in charge of the train. This
often seems to get overlooked. One such thing could be detraining
passengers and/or walking along the track. Drivers have a yearly mobility
test for just this purpose (together with a basic eyesight test).

That may be true but it hardly applies in this case.

B2003

Clive D. W. Feather November 14th 03 05:46 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , Andrew P Smith
writes
(4) The person has an intermittent eyesight problem that doesn't stop
them playing a game but isn't safe for something like train driving.
For example, temporary blindness in one part of the retina, or
temporary blindness in low light.

But they can see a squash ball whizzing around a brightly lit white
court at 35 mph.........

To continue with this one as an example:
(1) I said "one part of the retina", or "low light"; neither case would
prevent you seeing a brightly lit squash ball in continual motion
relative to your sightlines.

(2) If they fail to spot the ball once, the worst they get is a clonk
from it. If they fail to spot a signal or other hazard once, people can
die.

Sheesh. Do I have to make the difference any clearer?

Andrew P Smith November 15th 03 03:06 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Andrew P Smith
writes
(4) The person has an intermittent eyesight problem that doesn't stop
them playing a game but isn't safe for something like train driving.
For example, temporary blindness in one part of the retina, or
temporary blindness in low light.

But they can see a squash ball whizzing around a brightly lit white
court at 35 mph.........

To continue with this one as an example:
(1) I said "one part of the retina", or "low light"; neither case would
prevent you seeing a brightly lit squash ball in continual motion
relative to your sightlines.

I didn't realise all tube tunnels were lit. If you can see a moving
squash ball then you can see a signal.

(2) If they fail to spot the ball once, the worst they get is a clonk
from it. If they fail to spot a signal or other hazard once, people can
die.

Signal is a red herring, I believe you know all about tripcocks. If the
drivers eye sight is defective then they will be rumbled at the medical
each year and stop driving trains.

Sheesh. Do I have to make the difference any clearer?

When in a hole Clive, stop digging.

Mark Blewett November 15th 03 03:07 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 00:17:55 +0000, "I@n" -uk wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:15:23 +0000, woutster
wrote:

snip

I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no way
someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to push a few
buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a while if necessary.

The union want to watch themselves on this one unless they are
deliberately out to lose what little credibility they've got left with
the public.

In The Times today there is an article... apparently this person
started working on the Tube in 1998... now how many days off sick
would you expect for someone over 5 years? 10, 20, 30, 40, 50... how
about 218? This guy is taking the p*ss.. thats 1 in 5 working days!

Andrew P Smith November 15th 03 05:35 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , Mark Blewett
writes
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 00:17:55 +0000, "I@n" -uk wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:15:23 +0000, woutster
wrote:

snip

I don't care what anyone says, doctors note or not, there is no way
someone can be well enough to play squash but be unable to push a few
buttons on a train, or perform lesser duties for a while if necessary.

The union want to watch themselves on this one unless they are
deliberately out to lose what little credibility they've got left with
the public.

In The Times today there is an article... apparently this person
started working on the Tube in 1998... now how many days off sick
would you expect for someone over 5 years? 10, 20, 30, 40, 50... how
about 218? This guy is taking the p*ss.. thats 1 in 5 working days!

I've now gone 2yrs and 1 week without any time off sick from work.

Kat November 15th 03 05:46 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes
I've now gone 2yrs and 1 week without any time off sick from work.

A new slant on the old willie-waving contest maybe?
--
Kat Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax

and get used to the idea - Robert A. Heinlein

Andrew P Smith November 15th 03 05:54 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , Kat
writes
In message , Andrew P Smith
writes
I've now gone 2yrs and 1 week without any time off sick from work.

A new slant on the old willie-waving contest maybe?

Nothing old about my willie.

[email protected] November 15th 03 09:16 PM

(Boltar) wrote:

wrote in message
A driver doesn't have to be fit to drive the train - he could be
carried into the cab and plonked on his seat and still drive the
train. However the driver does have to be fit to deal with anything
(emergency or non-emergency) that may occur while he is in charge of
the train. This often seems to get overlooked. One such thing could
be detraining passengers and/or walking along the track. Drivers have
a yearly mobility test for just this purpose (together with a basic
eyesight test).

That may be true but it hardly applies in this case.

B2003

True. It was more of a general observation.

Roger

Robert Woolley November 15th 03 09:35 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:16:51 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

In article ,
(Boltar) wrote:

wrote in message

[snip]
That may be true but it hardly applies in this case.

B2003

True. It was more of a general observation.

Roger

I hope the eyesight test is rather more than basic - signal sighting
is fairly critical!

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Badabing November 16th 03 03:38 PM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

in article , Clive D. W. Feather at
wrote on 12/11/03 6:06 PM:

In article , "I@n"
-uk writes
[...]

Jesus Christ. So in defending the strike actions, you are basically saying
that the ability to play vigorous squash is not just a valid but a near
essential way of assessing if someone is fit to work for London Underground
since it covers all those hypothetical 'safety issues' you mention above.

Let me ask you:

Are you claiming that every LU employee is in a fit enough physical
condition to play a vigourous squash match? That's quite a claim.

Do you think the unions would like it if LU managers introduced a new
medical exam where all employees had to play a vigorous game of squash, and
anyone unable to do so was sacked, on the basis of the 'safety' reasons you
have given above?

I presume you're answer must be 'yes' to both of those questions.

Finally, if someone is unfairly dismissed, there are proper legal channels
that individual can take. If the guy wants to take LU to court there is
nothing stopping him. I'm sure Bob Crowe and his union, who believe the man
is right and the management is wrong, would be happy to fund his court
action and save us all a lot of hassle.

[email protected] November 17th 03 06:26 PM

(Robert Woolley) wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:16:51 +0000 (UTC),

wrote:

In article ,
(Boltar) wrote:

wrote in message

[snip]
That may be true but it hardly applies in this case.

B2003

True. It was more of a general observation.

Roger

I hope the eyesight test is rather more than basic - signal sighting
is fairly critical!

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

The yearly one generally involves reading a number plate (or similar) at a
certain distance and stating what colour aspect is being shown from a
handlamp.

This covers being able to see a signal and identifying the aspect
correctly. If at a medical, then the eyesight is tested more thoroughly.
The eyesight may also be tested, using standard opticians charts, when
applying for a second pair of glasses following an eye test at a local
opticians and it is necessary for the prescription to be changed, or if it
is identified via an optician or from the yearly test that glasses must
now be worn. (T/Ops must provide a second pair of glasses and keep them
with them at all times - LU refund some of the cost of this (I think it's
around £50-60))

Roger

I@n November 30th 03 08:48 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

What happened to this. Did the union come to their senses and realise
they were on to a massive support loser with this one as far as the
travelling public were concerned?

John November 30th 03 11:24 AM

Hammersmith & City strike on 13 November

In article , I@n
-uk writes
What happened to this. Did the union come to their senses and realise
they were on to a massive support loser with this one as far as the
travelling public were concerned?

It happened - the H&C was pretty well crippled in the morning with
infrequent trains between Edgware Road and Hammersmith, by the evening
more drivers had come in and the service was every ten mins to Moorgate.
Generally it didn't have a huge impact.
--
John Alexander,

Richard J. November 30th 03 11:27 AM

I@n wrote:
What happened to this. Did the union come to their senses and realise
they were on to a massive support loser with this one as far as the
travelling public were concerned?

It was just a 1-day strike, and they've now found a different excuse for
industrial action, so we probably won't hear any more about the squash
therapy case.
--
Richard J.