London Banter

-   -   'Duke of York' pub at Kings Cross open? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9824-duke-york-pub-kings-cross.html)

E27002 October 29th 09 06:03 PM

'Duke of York' pub at Kings Cross open?

On Oct 29, 5:03*am, chrisgd wrote:
On Oct 29, 2:07*am, Miles Bader wrote: Roy Badami writes:
There's no pub in Kings Cross at the moment - the closest alternative is
probably the Betjeman Arms in St Pancras Station -- up the steps from
Pancras Rd. *It's a passable station pub -- nothing special but pleasant
enough and certainly no worse than the Duke of York.

So what kind of beer do you get in these station pubs?

The closure took me by surprize last year -- rather than hang around
Heathrow for the overpriced breakfast I headed to KX for some food
before getting the train to Newcastle. I'd been to the Duke before,
and although crowded was ok for what I wanted. St P had only recently
opened and I didn't see any obvious pub signs amongst the boutiques
than seemed to dominate the St P concourse.

There is to be a pub close to Kings Cross favored by cab drivers. It
may have been on York Way. I am streching my memory back to 1971ish.
It did exceptional sandwiches at reasonable prices.

[email protected] October 29th 09 08:46 PM

E27002 wrote:
[...]

What's up with plans to reopen York Street on the Piccadilly Line?

[email protected] October 29th 09 11:05 PM

'Duke of York' pub at Kings Cross open?

In article
,
(E27002) wrote:

There is to be a pub close to Kings Cross favored by cab drivers. It
may have been on York Way. I am streching my memory back to 1971ish.
It did exceptional sandwiches at reasonable prices.

There is something in York Way IIRC but I doubt you'd recognise it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] October 29th 09 11:45 PM

'Duke of York' pub at Kings Cross open?

In article , ()
wrote:

What's up with plans to reopen York Street on the Piccadilly Line?

If you mean York Road, I wasn't aware there were any such plans.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

E27002 October 30th 09 05:19 PM

'Duke of York' pub at Kings Cross open?

On Oct 29, 5:05*pm, wrote:
In article
,

(E27002) wrote:
There is to be a pub close to Kings Cross favored by cab drivers. *It
may have been on York Way. *I am streching my memory back to 1971ish.
It did exceptional sandwiches at reasonable prices.

There is something in York Way IIRC but I doubt you'd recognise it.

Indeed so. I just took a look at the area thru Google Maps. So much
has changed.