London Banter

-   -   Irritating TfL marketing speak (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9858-irritating-tfl-marketing-speak.html)

[email protected] November 3rd 09 10:05 AM

Irritating TfL marketing speak

I noticed this apology from TfL with regards to the congestion charge
system failing:

“We apologise to customers for any problems they are experiencing since the transfer of systems to our new contractor this weekend."

I'm sorry, since when did drivers forced to pay a punative tax suddenly
become "customers"? If you're a customer you're paying for a service - what
service does the congestion charge provide other than to get some bailiffs
turning up at your door if you don't cough up? Do the muppets who come up
with these patronising statements honestly believe that calling people
customers suddenly makes the experience of money with menaces ok?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11...estion_charge/

B2003

MIG November 3rd 09 10:36 AM

On 3 Nov, 11:05, wrote:
I noticed this apology from TfL with regards to the congestion charge
system failing:

“We apologise to customers for any problems they are experiencing since the transfer of systems to our new contractor this weekend."

I'm sorry, since when did drivers forced to pay a punative tax suddenly
become "customers"? If you're a customer you're paying for a service - what
service does the congestion charge provide other than to get some bailiffs
turning up at your door if you don't cough up? Do the muppets who come up
with these patronising statements honestly believe that calling people
customers suddenly makes the experience of money with menaces ok?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11...estion_charge/

B2003

It saves you from becoming a detention services customer.

John B November 3rd 09 11:11 AM

On Nov 3, 11:05*am, wrote:
I noticed this apology from TfL with regards to the congestion charge
system failing:

“We apologise to customers for any problems they are experiencing since the transfer of systems to our new contractor this weekend."

I'm sorry, since when did drivers forced to pay a punative tax suddenly
become "customers"? If you're a customer you're paying for a service - what
service does the congestion charge provide other than to get some bailiffs
turning up at your door if you don't cough up? Do the muppets who come up
with these patronising statements honestly believe that calling people
customers suddenly makes the experience of money with menaces ok?

It provides you with access to central London's roads, in the same way
that paying a tenner provides you with access to the cinema and that
paying fifty quid provides you with access to Mr Stringfellow's
establishment (allegedly).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

[email protected] November 3rd 09 11:23 AM

Irritating TfL marketing speak

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 03:36:02 -0800 (PST)
MIG wrote:
It saves you from becoming a detention services customer.

Heh :)

B2003

[email protected] November 3rd 09 11:25 AM

Irritating TfL marketing speak

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 04:11:15 -0800 (PST)
John B wrote:
It provides you with access to central London's roads, in the same way
that paying a tenner provides you with access to the cinema and that
paying fifty quid provides you with access to Mr Stringfellow's
establishment (allegedly).

Err, not quite. Its in the same way as if someone who'd been paying their
council tax suddenly was told by the council that there'll now be a Rubbish
Charge and anyone who's had their bins emptied will have to phone up within
24 hours of it happening to pay the charge or face prosecution, even though
the council tax hadn't been reduced accordingly.

B2003

Graculus November 3rd 09 06:20 PM

wrote in message ...
I noticed this apology from TfL with regards to the congestion charge
system failing:

â?oWe apologise to customers for any problems they are experiencing since
the transfer of systems to our new contractor this weekend."

I'm sorry, since when did drivers forced to pay a punative tax suddenly
become "customers"? If you're a customer you're paying for a service -
what
service does the congestion charge provide other than to get some bailiffs
turning up at your door if you don't cough up? Do the muppets who come up
with these patronising statements honestly believe that calling people
customers suddenly makes the experience of money with menaces ok?

Same way as parts of the NHS try to talk about customers rather than
patients. Similarly local councils (which one was talking ******** the other
day saying they are a "customer focussed organisation" - no they're not, we
aren't their customers, we're taxpayers).

Anyway, the other thing that should have annoyed you is the habit, in these
outsourced days, to pass the blame to contactors, somehow thinking this
absolves them of all responsibility. Whenever some body/company blames the
contractors, they need to be reminded that their "customers'" contract is
with them, and who they sub out work to is of no concern. Contractors stand
behind you, not in front of you.