London Banter

-   -   Oxford Circus crossing (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9867-oxford-circus-crossing.html)

Ian F. November 3rd 09 07:47 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

As a Balham resident, I'm still reeling that allegedly £1m was spent on this
crossing when we have had one outside Balham station for over four years! It
is said to have cost £100k to create.

The media has totally ignored the fact, despite e-mails and calls, with the
exception of a tiny piece in Metro and a short letter in tonight's Standard.
Seems they are scared of upsetting the Mayor.

Some (balanced) views he
http://www.localgov.co.uk/index.cfm?...etail&id=83381

Ian

Basil Jet November 3rd 09 08:17 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

Ian F. wrote:
As a Balham resident, I'm still reeling that allegedly £1m was spent
on this crossing when we have had one outside Balham station for over
four years! It is said to have cost £100k to create.

The money was presumably spent on demolishing walls and moving kerb lines,
lighting poles and camera poles, rather than on redoing the road surface.

The media has totally ignored the fact, despite e-mails and calls,
with the exception of a tiny piece in Metro and a short letter in
tonight's Standard. Seems they are scared of upsetting the Mayor.

I don't think Boris has been Mayor long enough to be responsible for the
scheme, BICBW.

Some (balanced) views he
http://www.localgov.co.uk/index.cfm?...etail&id=83381

There's been one in Burnt Oak since approximately 2001, which might be the
oldest one in London. Here's a 2004 discussion...
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....eef9d821b556c8

Offramp November 3rd 09 09:32 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

On 3 Nov, 20:47, "Ian F." wrote:
As a Balham resident, I'm still reeling that allegedly £1m was spent on this
crossing when we have had one outside Balham station for over four years! It
is said to have cost £100k to create.

The media has totally ignored the fact, despite e-mails and calls, with the
exception of a tiny piece in Metro and a short letter in tonight's Standard.
Seems they are scared of upsetting the Mayor.

There is no need to have a cow. The Balham crossing is probably as
scary and useless as the Oxford Circus one. They are both just
cosmetic. The diagonal crossings are dangerous and totally unnecessary.

Batman55 November 3rd 09 09:49 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

"Offramp" wrote in message
On 3 Nov, 20:47, "Ian F." wrote:
As a Balham resident, I'm still reeling that allegedly £1m was spent on
this
crossing when we have had one outside Balham station for over four years!
It
is said to have cost £100k to create.

The media has totally ignored the fact, despite e-mails and calls, with
the
exception of a tiny piece in Metro and a short letter in tonight's
Standard.
Seems they are scared of upsetting the Mayor.

There is no need to have a cow. The Balham crossing is probably as
scary and useless as the Oxford Circus one. They are both just
cosmetic. The diagonal crossings are dangerous and totally unnecessary.
===============

Well I went to try it out this evening and found the whole thing shut down,
fences all round the crossing, and Oxo Station shut; all for someone to turn
on a few lightbulbs.
Bah, humbug.

MaxB

MIG November 3rd 09 09:49 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

On 3 Nov, 22:35, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:32:47 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

The diagonal crossings are dangerous and totally unnecessary.

Why? [genuine question btw]
--
Paul C

I can't see why either.

There would be three clear phases. I couldn't make any sense of the
old phasing at Oxford Circus (and never will now), but I generally
just crossed when there seemed to be a gap, because I couldn't work
out what was going on.

David Jackman[_2_] November 3rd 09 10:09 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

"Ian F." wrote in
:

As a Balham resident, I'm still reeling that allegedly £1m was spent
on this crossing when we have had one outside Balham station for over
four years! It is said to have cost £100k to create.

The media has totally ignored the fact, despite e-mails and calls,
with the exception of a tiny piece in Metro and a short letter in
tonight's Standard. Seems they are scared of upsetting the Mayor.

Some (balanced) views he
http://www.localgov.co.uk/index.cfm?...etail&id=83381

Ian

The BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8337341.stm) are quoting
£5 million, as does the localgov link.

I've no idea how you would go about spending £5 million on removing some
railings and installing coloured paving - that can't sound like value for
money to anybody, even the contractor who installed it!

Also I do hope it doesn't cost £5 million to remove because, having seen it
for the first time last week, it doesn't look safe to me (it is too easy
for pedestrians to get too close to the buses, even if they are only going
at walking pace, and remember this is currently a junction where bendi-
buses turn).

David

Eric[_3_] November 3rd 09 10:25 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

On 2009-11-03, Offramp wrote:
On 3 Nov, 20:47, "Ian F." wrote:
As a Balham resident, I'm still reeling that allegedly £1m was spent on this
crossing when we have had one outside Balham station for over four years! It
is said to have cost £100k to create.

The media has totally ignored the fact, despite e-mails and calls, with the
exception of a tiny piece in Metro and a short letter in tonight's Standard.
Seems they are scared of upsetting the Mayor.

There is no need to have a cow. The Balham crossing is probably as
scary and useless as the Oxford Circus one. They are both just
cosmetic. The diagonal crossings are dangerous and totally unnecessary.

I can remember when I was about 12 and diagonal crossings were
introduced at a couple of city-centre intersections. They were called
"scramble" crossings, and I think they are still there - 48 years later!
There are actually quite a lot scattered around the world. The idea is
that they are good for places with high pedestrian traffic.

(The city in question was Brisbane, in Australia).

E.

Richard J.[_3_] November 3rd 09 10:43 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote on 03 November 2009 23:09:39 ...

having seen it for the first time last week, it doesn't look safe to me (it
is too easy for pedestrians to get too close to the buses, even if they
are only going at walking pace, and remember this is currently a
junction where bendi-buses turn).

Given that we don't have kerb-edge doors to protect passengers on the
streets of London, how is that different from any other light-controlled
crossing in London? Since all the traffic now stops for the pedestrian
phase, it should be safer than before.

--
Richard J.

Basil Jet November 3rd 09 10:47 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

Richard J. wrote:
David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote on 03 November 2009 23:09:39
having seen it for the first time last week, it doesn't look safe to
me (it is too easy for pedestrians to get too close to the buses,
even if they are only going at walking pace, and remember this is
currently a junction where bendi-buses turn).

Given that we don't have kerb-edge doors to protect passengers on the
streets of London, how is that different from any other
light-controlled crossing in London? Since all the traffic now stops
for the pedestrian phase, it should be safer than before.

In the Oxford Street area, pedestrians do not accept the idea that some
phases are not for them.

[email protected] November 4th 09 12:03 AM

Oxford Circus crossing

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

Ian F. wrote:
[...]

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....hread/thread/c
f49f67a30217d1e/d6eef9d821b556c8?hl=en&q=burnt+oak+diagonal+crossi ng+watlin
g+avenue#d6eef9d821b556c8

How old is the one near Battersea Park station? I don't remember it not
being there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Peter Campbell Smith[_5_] November 4th 09 11:18 AM

Oxford Circus crossing

"Ian F." wrote in
:

As a Balham resident, I'm still reeling that allegedly £1m was spent
on this crossing when we have had one outside Balham station for over
four years! It is said to have cost £100k to create.

I'm old enough to remember when pedestrian phases at traffic lights were
first introduced in Edinburgh, where I then lived. The first one was at the
intersection of the Bridges and the High Street, and instead of red and
green men there was a white-on-black 'CROSS NOW' light (and merely the
absence of it to indicate that you shouldn't).

That one and all subsequent ones for some time gave the pedestrians a
dedicated phase, where they could cross diagonally if they wished - though
without the natty stripes on the road.

Some considerable time later, they started introducing ones where you
couldn't cross diagonally and there was a bit of publicity (and grumbling)
about the fact that you could not rely on being able to cross in any
direction. I don't recall anyone being squashed, but there was less
traffic about in those days.

To change the subject slightly, I see that (many? all?) new crossings have
the red and green man (person?) mounted at waist height at the side of the
road one is waiting at, rather than opposite. I suppose we'll get used to
it, but I've already seen people:
- look across the road, see no light and assume that there isn't a
pedestrian phase, especially where there are others waiting and obscuring
the new-style light, and
- even more worryingly, look across the road (say south to north) and see
the green man for the pedestrians crossing east to west, which is aimed
directly south, and plunge across the road into the traffic.

The second occurrence was after dark, on a road that went uphill south to
north, so the green light was at about the right height for an old-style
one.

Peter

--
| Peter Campbell Smith | Epsom | UK |

MIG November 4th 09 12:01 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

On 4 Nov, 12:18, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:
"Ian F." wrote :

[...]

Unless it's changed recently, the junction of Poultry/Cheapside and
King Street/Queen Street is rather special.

As well as the various vehicle and pedestrian phases, there's rather
long period every phase when all the traffic lights and all the
pedestrian lights are red, ie nothing and no one can move.

I've never understood the reason for that.

Roland Perry November 4th 09 12:50 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

In message , at 12:18:22 on Wed,
4 Nov 2009, Peter Campbell Smith remarked:
To change the subject slightly, I see that (many? all?) new crossings have
the red and green man (person?) mounted at waist height at the side of the
road one is waiting at, rather than opposite. I suppose we'll get used to
it, but I've already seen people:
- look across the road, see no light and assume that there isn't a
pedestrian phase, especially where there are others waiting and obscuring
the new-style light, and
- even more worryingly, look across the road (say south to north) and see
the green man for the pedestrians crossing east to west, which is aimed
directly south, and plunge across the road into the traffic.

These new crossings are a complete disaster, and should be banned
immediately.

If for no other reason than the red/green men are obscured as soon as
there is more than a couple of people waiting to cross.

Batman55 November 4th 09 12:57 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Hear, hear. They are totally stupid.

MaxB

MIG November 4th 09 03:38 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

On 4 Nov, 13:50, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Oh god yes, it won't be a moment too soon when they are banned. They
seem to be universally despised, for good reason.

Another problem with many of them is that they are set a long way back
into the pavement and can't be seen at all from the position one
stands in waiting to cross the road. A good example is Theobalds Road
in London where you have to stand back almost against the wall,
blocking the pavement, to be able to see the lights.

Arthur Figgis November 4th 09 04:44 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Is there a theoretical reason why they are supposed to be "better"? I
did try Googling when one of the blasted things arrived near here, but
couldn't find a good explanation.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Roland Perry November 4th 09 07:46 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

In message , at
17:44:06 on Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Is there a theoretical reason why they are supposed to be "better"? I
did try Googling when one of the blasted things arrived near here, but
couldn't find a good explanation.

Yes, to look at the red/green men, you have to face the oncoming
traffic. Supposedly you are therefore less likely to run across the road
having failed to notice that there *is* and oncoming traffic (regardless
of the state of the men).

One of the many flaws is that if you are consciously wanting to look for
the red/green men, you probably also aren't likely to be taking a punt
on running across the road regardless of the state of the lights.

For a couple of generations we've been trained, cajoled and exhorted to
look for the red/green men across the road, high up. We simply don't
expect to find them on our side of the road, at knee height. Sideways.

Neil Williams November 4th 09 08:36 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:18:22 +0000 (UTC), Peter Campbell Smith
wrote:

To change the subject slightly, I see that (many? all?) new crossings have
the red and green man (person?) mounted at waist height at the side of the
road one is waiting at, rather than opposite. I suppose we'll get used to
it, but I've already seen people:

I think those are an almighty pain in the backside, as it isn't
necessarily possible to find the box, establish the light is green and
cross the road without breaking stride from a fast walking pace,
particularly if people are standing in the way of it or you are (as I
am) a wearer of spectacles[1]. This is, OTOH, possible with the
traditional type.

Indeed, with those ones I often find myself looking at the traffic
lights controlling the road traffic instead.

[1] because they narrow your field of vision slightly compared with
contact lenses or not needing any at all! :)

Neil

--
Neil Williams

MIG November 4th 09 08:47 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

On 4 Nov, 20:46, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Backwards in many situations. You have to look away from the road and/
or step back.

Arthur Figgis November 4th 09 10:41 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

MIG wrote:
[...]

Having another search, it seems the main feature is detecting people on
the crossing and using that to adjust the timings. (OMFG now big brother
watches us cross the road!!! etc etc)

This page seems to say the lights are in a funny place for visually
impred users. The information is contained only in an image, with no ALT
text :-)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/...rossing?page=2
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Tim Woodall November 5th 09 08:44 AM

Oxford Circus crossing

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 20:46:15 +0000,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
17:44:06 on Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Is there a theoretical reason why they are supposed to be "better"? I
did try Googling when one of the blasted things arrived near here, but
couldn't find a good explanation.

Yes, to look at the red/green men, you have to face the oncoming
traffic. Supposedly you are therefore less likely to run across the road
having failed to notice that there *is* and oncoming traffic (regardless
of the state of the men).

One of the many flaws is that if you are consciously wanting to look for
the red/green men, you probably also aren't likely to be taking a punt
on running across the road regardless of the state of the lights.

And are the sort of people who if the green man changes back to red as
they step out will step back and wait for the next green man. Now they
don't see it change back.

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/

David Jackman[_2_] November 5th 09 11:05 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

"Richard J." wrote in
:

Since all the traffic now stops
for the pedestrian phase, it should be safer than before.

Many crossings in London have been changed so that all traffic stops for
pedistrians, and Ocford Circus was like that before the changes.

Given that we don't have kerb-edge doors to protect passengers on the
streets of London, how is that different from any other
light-controlled crossing in London?

I'd suggest two reasons:

Most pedestrian crossings are on the straight. Pedestrians stick to the
pavement (until the green man), traffic sticks to the road. That's fine.

Before the junction at Holborn was remodelled, the crossing over the left
turn lane from Holborn into Kingsway was on the skew. You just had to
learn that you had to stand back a bit when the 521 (then a Bendibus) came
round as there was very, very little clearence between it and the pavement.

The whole point of Oxford Circus is that this demarkation is lacking, and
the pavement around there can be very crowded indeed. Safe 99.9% of the
time? Yes. 99.9999% of the time? Not convinced.

The other issue is that most pedestrains in London now ignore red/green men
and cross if it seems to be safe to do so. The phasing often has so much
time on red that you can watch the red man appear, amble up to and across a
dual carriageway and still get to the other side before you get run over
(well, I havn't been flattened yet ....)

This is fine if you know the way the phasing works at a particular
junction. What is also happening increasing often is that people who
aren't paying sufficent attention see the red man, all the lights on red
and step into the road pretty much as the traffic starts moving....

Now, the diagonal at Oxford Circus is actually quite a long way. I assume
the phasing allows plenty of time for the slowest pedestrian to cross the
diagonal which is going to leave an awuful lot of time on red when people
are going to be tempted to cross. I really wouldn't want to get trapped in
the middle with traffic all around me, yet that is exactly what was close
to happening to people on Saturday.

I'm sure there is an education issue here - for both pedestrians and
drivers - but combine overcrowed pavements with the traffic levels at
Oxford Circus which means that the junction won't always clear for the
green phase - and the odd cyclist on his mobile who doesn't stop for
anybody (I saw one in Oxford Street this evening) and I struggle to see how
it can be "safe".

Michael R N Dolbear November 6th 09 05:41 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote

Now, the diagonal at Oxford Circus is actually quite a long way. I

assume
the phasing allows plenty of time for the slowest pedestrian to cross

the
diagonal which is going to leave an awuful lot of time on red when

people
are going to be tempted to cross. I really wouldn't want to get

trapped in
the middle with traffic all around me, yet that is exactly what was

close
to happening to people on Saturday.

In the US there can be a countdown number as well so you can see
exactly how long you have. Tfl is going to try this in London.

--
Mike D

Roland Perry November 6th 09 10:05 PM

Oxford Circus crossing

In message 01ca5f0f$ef6fa520$LocalHost@default, at 18:41:10 on Fri, 6
Nov 2009, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:
In the US there can be a countdown number as well so you can see
exactly how long you have.

You get quite a good selection of pictures from all over the world at:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?&q...trian+crossing

Tfl is going to try this in London.

Martin Rich[_2_] November 7th 09 10:55 AM

Oxford Circus crossing

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

For a couple of generations we've been trained, cajoled and exhorted to
look for the red/green men across the road, high up. We simply don't
expect to find them on our side of the road, at knee height. Sideways.

Not only that, but red and green men on the other side of the road
constitute a pretty widely adopted standard across many parts of the world.
Has anybody seen the our side/knee high (or at best waist high) arrangement
anywhere outside the UK?

Martin

David Cantrell November 9th 09 11:40 AM

Oxford Circus crossing

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 11:55:49AM -0000, Martin Rich wrote:

Not only that, but red and green men on the other side of the road
constitute a pretty widely adopted standard across many parts of the world.
Has anybody seen the our side/knee high (or at best waist high) arrangement
anywhere outside the UK?

Yes, but always accompanied by a light on the other side of the road in
the normal place.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use. If it
fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
-- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916