London Banter

-   -   J sign at the end of Finchley Road station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/989-j-sign-end-finchley-road.html)

J. Public November 11th 03 07:07 PM

J sign at the end of Finchley Road station

Hi All.

Just a quick question - does anyone know what a small illuminated 'J' might
be used for on the northbound met platform at Finchley Road station. It
looks a bit like that light that goes on then off as the train passes over
the little arm at the side of the track.

Also, what's the problem with opening both sets of doors at stations like
Uxbridge, Golders Green etc., where there are platforms on both side of the
train.

Thanks in advance!

JP

Spyke November 11th 03 07:25 PM

J sign at the end of Finchley Road station

In message , J. Public
writes
Hi All.

Just a quick question - does anyone know what a small illuminated 'J' might
be used for on the northbound met platform at Finchley Road station. It
looks a bit like that light that goes on then off as the train passes over
the little arm at the side of the track.

I'm guessing it's probably an indicator to inform a Met driver and/or
the station staff that a Jubilee line train is approaching, and that it
might be a good idea to let the Met train wait to allow passengers to
from the Jubilee line to transfer to it.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

Helen Deborah Vecht November 11th 03 07:48 PM

J sign at the end of Finchley Road station

"J. Public" typed

Also, what's the problem with opening both sets of doors at stations like
Uxbridge, Golders Green etc., where there are platforms on both side of the
train.

At Golders Green, Platform 1 (northbound) is not open to the public now.
If a northbound train terminates at Golders Green, passengers should
alight on the platform where northbound trains go, (Platform 2/3) to
avoid confusion.

At Uxbridge, I think the practice is to try and separate the Met Line
from the Piccadilly. Keeping both sets of doors open would encourage
yobs to use the trains as shortcuts between platforms and allow trains
to get very cold.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Robin May November 11th 03 09:23 PM

"J. Public" wrote the following in:

Also, what's the problem with opening both sets of doors at
stations like Uxbridge, Golders Green etc., where there are
platforms on both side of the train.

I'm not sure. They certainly open both sets of doors on the eastbound
District line platform at Barking.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!

Lawrence Myers November 11th 03 10:25 PM

Robin May wrote:
"J. Public" wrote the following in:

Also, what's the problem with opening both sets of doors at
stations like Uxbridge, Golders Green etc., where there are
platforms on both side of the train.

I'm not sure. They certainly open both sets of doors on the eastbound
District line platform at Barking.

Yes. That's to allow cross platform interchange to and from both the Gospel
Oak Line, on the left, and Shoeburyness trains on the right.

Lawrence Myers

Mark Brader November 12th 03 04:51 AM

Doors open on both sides (was: J sign at the end of Finchley...)

Robin May:
I'm not sure. They certainly open both sets of doors on the eastbound
District line platform at Barking.

Lawrence Myers:
Yes. That's to allow cross platform interchange to and from both the
Gospel Oak Line, on the left, and Shoeburyness trains on the right.

So do people then cross through the District trains to get between the
Gospel Oak and Shoeburyness lines, too, like at Jamaica station on the
LIRR in New York? Or are their routings such that there would be no
reason to do that anyway?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "One thing that surprises you about this business

Robin May November 12th 03 07:38 AM

Doors open on both sides (was: J sign at the end of Finchley...)

(Mark Brader) wrote the following in:

Robin May:
I'm not sure. They certainly open both sets of doors on the
eastbound District line platform at Barking.

Lawrence Myers:
Yes. That's to allow cross platform interchange to and from both
the Gospel Oak Line, on the left, and Shoeburyness trains on the
right.

So do people then cross through the District trains to get between
the Gospel Oak and Shoeburyness lines, too, like at Jamaica
station on the LIRR in New York? Or are their routings such that
there would be no reason to do that anyway?

People do cross through the District line trains to change between the
Gospel Oak trains and c2c trains. Or at least they do when the District
line trains aren't very full. If they had lots of people in them they
might find it harder to do.

Clive D. W. Feather November 12th 03 09:17 AM

J sign at the end of Finchley Road station

In article , Spyke
writes
Just a quick question - does anyone know what a small illuminated 'J' might
be used for on the northbound met platform at Finchley Road station.

I'm guessing it's probably an indicator to inform a Met driver and/or
the station staff that a Jubilee line train is approaching, and that it
might be a good idea to let the Met train wait to allow passengers to
from the Jubilee line to transfer to it.

Correct.

There's also one on the northbound at Wembley Park, for the same reason.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Clive D. W. Feather November 12th 03 09:21 AM

Doors open on both sides (was: J sign at the end of Finchley...)

In article , Mark Brader
writes
So do people then cross through the District trains to get between the
Gospel Oak and Shoeburyness lines, too, like at Jamaica station on the
LIRR in New York? Or are their routings such that there would be no
reason to do that anyway?

I've never attempted to observe it, but it would be a logical move for
someone trying to travel from somewhere on the Gospel Oak line to places
like Basildon or Leigh-on-Sea.

It doesn't work in the reverse direction; the platform layout is roughly
(north at the top):

GOBLIN bay
platform
Eastbound District
platform, with bay at north-west end
Eastbound LTSR (c2c) to Upminster
Westbound LTSR (c2c) from Upminster
platform
Westbound District
Eastbound LTSR (c2c) to Dagenham
platform
Westbound LTSR (c2c) from Dagenham

Thomas Crame November 14th 03 10:00 PM

Spyke wrote in message ...
In message , J. Public
writes
Hi All.

Just a quick question - does anyone know what a small illuminated 'J' might
be used for on the northbound met platform at Finchley Road station. It
looks a bit like that light that goes on then off as the train passes over
the little arm at the side of the track.

I'm guessing it's probably an indicator to inform a Met driver and/or
the station staff that a Jubilee line train is approaching, and that it
might be a good idea to let the Met train wait to allow passengers to
from the Jubilee line to transfer to it.

Indeed it is, it illuminates when the platform track circuit is
occupied. There are also M indicators on the jubilee line side.
However, the drivers never seem to wait and allow passengers to
change.