Showing results 1 to 25 of 308
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mait001
Forum: London Transport January 15th 05, 12:35 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By Mait001
Undressing Exhibition Road

What is the point in arguing against a scheme that is working perfectly well
elsewhere? Are you suggesting that the people of the UK are in some way less
intelligent or able to to adapt than the...
Forum: London Transport January 10th 05, 01:21 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By Mait001
Undressing Exhibition Road

AIUI the whole point is to force both pedestrians and drivers to switch
their brains on. That can only be good can't it?

Sadly, increasing numbers of both appear to have no brains to switch...
Forum: London Transport January 9th 05, 11:27 AM
Replies: 117
Posted By Mait001
London Squares

an anti-clockwise
one-way system is superior (because drivers have better visibility when
curving to the left).

There might be better visibility once in the square, curving to the left,...
Forum: London Transport December 31st 04, 11:17 AM
Replies: 7
Posted By Mait001
Saver tickets

There is no expiry mraked anywhere on them.

Moreover, given that I have bought 144 of them, there is an implied condition
in my purchase contract that they will be valid for more than the few...
Forum: London Transport December 30th 04, 02:29 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By Mait001
Saver tickets

There seems to be no restriction on buying these in bulk: my local newsagent
was happy to sell me a whole packet of 25 booklets, and even went next door to
the connected supermarket to process my...
Forum: London Transport December 23rd 04, 08:40 PM
Replies: 23
Posted By Mait001
New Vauxhall bus station/'interchange'

I think there are a couple of issues. One is a laudable desire to
provide some nicely designed "different" buildings

Why is this laudable

This is meant to be a convenient transpoprt...
Forum: London Transport December 23rd 04, 08:37 PM
Replies: 23
Posted By Mait001
New Vauxhall bus station/'interchange'

This is meant to be a convenient transpoprt interchange, not a
Tracy Emin-style work of art.

There's nothing wrong with a convenient transport interchange also
being a nicely designed and...

Forum: London Transport December 20th 04, 04:49 PM
Replies: 89
Posted By Mait001
More tube strike

- merely the "sentence" that ought to be imposed. That being so, your
reference to "convicted in kangaroo courts" is otiose.

Not so. If I am convicted by a court where I'm prevented from...
Forum: London Transport December 20th 04, 11:48 AM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

They've been putting in lifts at Brixton Station for
about the last two years!

It took even longer to do this to the District Line platforms
at Earl's Court, and that didn't even...
Forum: London Transport December 20th 04, 11:46 AM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

My law Degree is almost 20 years old now! I got it at a time when jury
trial
was sacrosanct, innocence till found guilty, no dentention without trial,
Cabinet government, no restrospective...
Forum: London Transport December 20th 04, 10:22 AM
Replies: 1
Posted By Mait001
Lifts & esclalators

Following on from Annabel's comment about lifts at Brixton, isn't it about time
we had the regular biannual closure of the escalators at Holborn for
replacement? Or Earl's Court?

Marc.
Forum: London Transport December 20th 04, 10:20 AM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

They've been putting in lifts at Brixton Station for about the last two
years! I expect they'll finish one day....
--
"Mrs Redboots"

It took even longer to do this to the District Line...
Forum: London Transport December 20th 04, 10:19 AM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

Isn't this just another exemplification of what lay behind my original
posting
in this thread: the utter contempt in which passengers are held? Wouldn't it
be
so much nicer for the...
Forum: London Transport December 20th 04, 10:17 AM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

But, is it not the case that at SOME STAGE all public transport will
have to be disability compliant, whatever the cost and practicality?

Not whatever the cost and practicality, surely? I...
Forum: London Transport December 19th 04, 10:17 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

as lawyer you know what 'reasonable practicality' means.

Changing life-expired vehicles over is quite a bit cheaper than the
costs of providing step free access at a large number of...
Forum: London Transport December 19th 04, 10:10 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

Anyway, I'm still surprised that T4 station is closing to passengers a whole
day before the engineering possession starts. Some of the wheelchair
passengers who decide to get the tube to T123 and...
Forum: London Transport December 19th 04, 10:01 AM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

"Mait001" wrote in message

I have just read the TFL leaflet "Heathrow by Tue"

Rats, my plane leaves on Monday.

--...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 04, 06:35 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

It is also the complete lack of foresight and advance preparation when building
the original line, and then the T4 line that irks me.

Let me give you an example. In the late 1960s/early 1970s, my...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 04, 06:28 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

Indeed. I am convinced that the redevelopment of King's Cross and St.
Pancras is going to turn out to be one of the biggest failures of all time.

Why? It all seems to be going quite well so...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 04, 06:27 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

It is a complete lack of "joined-up" thinking.

Forum: London Transport December 18th 04, 03:33 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

now they've had a choice of
Heathrow express or the Piccadilly line for years suddenly there is
uproar because a little bit needs to be closed to improve access.

The logical conclusion of your...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 04, 03:28 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

33 steps isn't that far, though, probably no worse than any stairs
they may have had to use at the station they boarded the train from.

Not really: an increasingly large number of stations are...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 04, 02:37 PM
Replies: 56
Posted By Mait001
Trains carried on ships

For passengers, as far as I know, only the "Night Ferry", between Victoria and
Paris actually did this, via Folkestone.

There was a freight-only equivalent via Harwich at one time.

The equipment...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 04, 02:33 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mait001
Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

I was going to start a thread on the subject of Terminal 4 closure but since
this tjhread already exists, I hope I may be permitted to offer the following
opinion.

I have just read the TFL leaflet...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 308

Forum Jump