Old December 1st 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default DLR Train Captain Texting Whilst 'Driving'

On 1 Dec, 09:44, Chris Tolley (ukonline really)
wrote:
If your question is genuine - which is to say, if you really had a

concern that he was being negligent controlling the train - one wonders
why your own sense of self-preservation did not lead you to ask him
there and then.

There again perhaps it was his own sense of self-preservation which
made him reluctant to ask.

--
gordon

Old December 1st 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
If your question is genuine - which is to say, if you really had a

concern that he was being negligent controlling the train - one wonders
why your own sense of self-preservation did not lead you to ask him
there and then.

There again perhaps it was his own sense of self-preservation which
made him reluctant to ask.

--
gordon

Yes, the driver might be startled and steer erratically.

Reminds me of a joke about the early days of one-person buses.

On the first day of operation there is a terrible crash involving a
double-decker bus, but the [insert racial stereotype] driver is
unharmed.

When the police ask him how the crash happened, he says "I don't know,
I was upstairs collecting the fares".
Old December 1st 09, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"SB" wrote in message

But he isn't "driving" it. He's just sitting there pretending to do so, so
that pax don't get concerned about travelling in a driverless train (not
that this is an issue any more)

tim

Old December 1st 09, 04:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
If your question is genuine - which is to say, if you really had a
concern that he was being negligent controlling the train - one wonders
why your own sense of self-preservation did not lead you to ask him
there and then.

There again perhaps it was his own sense of self-preservation which
made him reluctant to ask.

--
gordon

Yes, the driver might be startled and steer erratically.

Reminds me of a joke about the early days of one-person buses.

On the first day of operation there is a terrible crash involving a
double-decker bus, but the [insert racial stereotype] driver is
unharmed.

When the police ask him how the crash happened, he says "I don't know,
I was upstairs collecting the fares".

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old December 1st 09, 07:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:26:57 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

But he isn't "driving" it. He's just sitting there pretending to do so, so
that pax don't get concerned about travelling in a driverless train

No, he isn't, he's sitting there because it's for whatever reason (he
wants to sit down, or the train is too full) more convenient to
operate the doors from there.

Normally on the DLR, he does the job standing by the doors.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 1st 09, 07:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Pyromancer wrote:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as SB
gently breathed:

Bearing in
mind that there have been a number of fatal crashes in the US due to
the drivers texting, is this acceptable behaviour? SB.

Slight difference though, in the cases in the US, the driver was
actually driving the train. On the DLR, unless working in emergency
manual mode (where the train captain actually handles the power
controller thingie), it's all fully automated.

At the time the DLR was built, it was felt that the public wouldn't
accept totally automated, staffless trains. Hence the provision of the
train captains to be a staff presence on board without having to have
actual drivers.

I wonder if that will change anytime soon, considering that it this is
often the case in continental Europe.
Old December 1st 09, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:36:25 +0000, "
wrote:

I wonder if that will change anytime soon, considering that it this is
often the case in continental Europe.

I think the DLR would operate too slowly if fully automatic, as people
would keep holding the doors open. (For safety reasons, you couldn't
force them to close on people - you'd have to work them like a lift).

That aside, are there any automated railways anywhere that don't have
platform edge doors?

There would be an option to staff the stations, but if you're going to
do that you might as well do what the DLR did and staff the trains
instead, so at least the staff aren't freezing cold on a platform.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 1st 09, 09:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

I wonder if that will change anytime soon, considering that it this is
often the case in continental Europe.

I think the DLR would operate too slowly if fully automatic, as people
would keep holding the doors open. *(For safety reasons, you couldn't
force them to close on people - you'd have to work them like a lift).

That aside, are there any automated railways anywhere that don't have
platform edge doors?

Vancouver

Is there any other system there to stop people being dragged if
trapped in the doors? I know the Lille system, which was the first
place where I saw platform-edge doors, but I haven't seen anything
with neither.

Maybe the detection of the door edge is particular clever, but if you
have a thin string with a bobble, like the boy who was dragged to
death on the Piccadilly line via his anorack, it must be difficult.
Old December 1st 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Neil Williams
writes
wrote:

But he isn't "driving" it. He's just sitting there pretending to do so, so
that pax don't get concerned about travelling in a driverless train

No, he isn't, he's sitting there because it's for whatever reason (he
wants to sit down, or the train is too full) more convenient to
operate the doors from there.

Normally on the DLR, he does the job standing by the doors.

I believe on Friday and Saturday evenings she (well, there are quite a
few) is there at the front of the train to prevent the train driving
over people who have had one too many and hit the "stop" button in time.

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking