Old December 3rd 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default DLR Train Captain Texting Whilst 'Driving'

On 03 Dec 2009 20:10:57 GMT, Matthew Geier
wrote:

Originally a train captain had to on any vehicular that was moving. After
much arguing they got it relaxed to any train in passenger service,
meaning the train captains were not being 'wasted' riding empty cars to
and from the depots.

When there's a failure and manual driving is required, that might
cause some delay as it would be difficult to get a member of staff to
the train on an elevated section.

Didn't know any unmanned operation was allowed! I'll have to look out
for one next time I'm on the DLR!

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 3rd 09, 08:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 03 Dec 2009 20:10:57 GMT, Matthew Geier
wrote:

And they run fully automatic with no on train staff OR platform staff
and there are no platform screen doors. They run through dense
residential 'towns'

One of the curious features of them as a result is that the windows
are actually LCD panels, and are automatically blanked when it passes
close to apartment buildings.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 3rd 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Matthew Geier wrote:

I understand the DLR has 'train captains' purely due to the British rail
safety regulator insisting that their be an authorised (appropriately
trained) member of staff on any passenger carrying train. I seem to
remember in the early days the DLR having an extended 'argument' with the
safety regulators over running trains ECS with no train captain.
Originally a train captain had to on any vehicular that was moving. After
much arguing they got it relaxed to any train in passenger service,
meaning the train captains were not being 'wasted' riding empty cars to
and from the depots.

In other countries with DLR like operations run with no on train or
station staff.

How will the pod cars at Heathrow fit in with this?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old December 3rd 09, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Sam Wilson) wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Didn't some new guided bus whatsit just start up in Cambridgeshire,
BTW?

Nope. Some new guided bus whatsit has just failed to start up in
Cambridgeshire.

Can you say what happened or where I might be able to find more
information about this?

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=463986

http://www.nce.co.uk/news/transport/...-delayed/52109
50.article

They're only part of the story. Cambridgeshire County Council are being
very coy about their relations with the contractors, BAM Nuttall.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 4th 09, 07:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Arthur
Figgis writes

How will the pod cars at Heathrow fit in with this?

Driverless trains have been running on the Gatwick monorail for years.
--
Paul Terry

Old December 4th 09, 08:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Arthur
Figgis writes

How will the pod cars at Heathrow fit in with this?

Driverless trains have been running on the Gatwick monorail for years.

And at Stansted and Birmingham, do we count Roller-Coasters?

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old December 4th 09, 09:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

CJB wrote:

There does seem to be a dangerous design 'fault' with the DLR stock
that needs the train captain's full attention. That is the huge gap
between the cars. They are not fitted with a protective curtain as are
most tube stock. I guess its only a matter of time before someone
falls onto the track between cars and the train starts automtically
with fatal consequences.

I take it you'll be writing a letter to the local MPs calling for a ban on
use of the DLR then. ?

By the way, how did you get on trying to have the work stopped at
Paddington?

Paul S

Old December 4th 09, 10:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

In message
Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Arthur
Figgis writes

How will the pod cars at Heathrow fit in with this?

Driverless trains have been running on the Gatwick monorail for years.

And at Stansted and Birmingham, do we count Roller-Coasters?

And T5. The acceleration on the T5 transit is quite impressive.

Sam
Old December 4th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Sam Wilson wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

In message
Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Arthur
Figgis writes

How will the pod cars at Heathrow fit in with this?

Driverless trains have been running on the Gatwick monorail for years.

And at Stansted and Birmingham, do we count Roller-Coasters?

And T5. The acceleration on the T5 transit is quite impressive.

I've missed that one but then I usually access T5 by road from the west.

Old December 4th 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

In message
Sam Wilson wrote:

And T5. The acceleration on the T5 transit is quite impressive.

I've missed that one but then I usually access T5 by road from the west.

It runs between the main terminal (5A, apparently) and the 5B satellite
hub. If you don't use the B gates you'll never get to see it.

Sam