Old December 3rd 09, 08:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default DLR Train Captain Texting Whilst 'Driving'

On 3 Dec, 09:02, "John Nuttall" wrote:

No, LRT as I said.

Just looked on Wikipedia and LRT is the "guided bus wotsit" I referred
to - it runs on rubber tyres, not rails.

But thanks - I must have remembered wrongly about it having PEDs. I
guess your average Singapore passenger is more disciplined than on
LUL, though!

Neil

Old December 3rd 09, 10:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On 3 Dec, 09:02, "John Nuttall" wrote:

No, LRT as I said.

Just looked on Wikipedia and LRT is the "guided bus wotsit" I referred
to - it runs on rubber tyres, not rails.

But thanks - I must have remembered wrongly about it having PEDs. I
guess your average Singapore passenger is more disciplined than on
LUL, though!

Neil

Didn't some new guided bus whatsit just start up in Cambridgeshire, BTW?
Old December 3rd 09, 01:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
" wrote:

Didn't some new guided bus whatsit just start up in Cambridgeshire, BTW?

Nope. Some new guided bus whatsit has just failed to start up in
Cambridgeshire.

Sam
Old December 3rd 09, 02:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Sam Wilson wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Didn't some new guided bus whatsit just start up in Cambridgeshire, BTW?

Nope. Some new guided bus whatsit has just failed to start up in
Cambridgeshire.

Sam

Can you say what happened or where I might be able to find more
information about this?

Old December 3rd 09, 04:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
" wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Didn't some new guided bus whatsit just start up in Cambridgeshire, BTW?

Nope. Some new guided bus whatsit has just failed to start up in
Cambridgeshire.

Sam

Can you say what happened or where I might be able to find more
information about this?

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_n...e.asp?ID=46398
6
http://www.nce.co.uk/news/transport/...ng-delayed/521
0950.article

Sam
Old December 3rd 09, 06:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Dec 3, 1:46*am, Miles Bader wrote:
"Richard J." writes:
"Due to the mixed operation of automated and conventional trains,
which has been carried out in Nuremberg for a time, and the presence
of curved platform, platform doors are not an option for Nuremberg
metro stations."

Curved platforms at some stations on Line 1 of the Paris Métro aren't
preventing the installation of curved doors there.

Even if curved doors are significantly more expensive or something, I
don't see why they couldn't just use straight doors on a curved wall --
it would mean a very small amount of wasted space between the center of
the door and the edge of the platform, but who cares...?

-Miles

--
Run away! *Run away!

There does seem to be a dangerous design 'fault' with the DLR stock
that needs the train captain's full attention. That is the huge gap
between the cars. They are not fitted with a protective curtain as are
most tube stock. I guess its only a matter of time before someone
falls onto the track between cars and the train starts automtically
with fatal consequences. CJB.
Old December 3rd 09, 07:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:58:45 +0000, wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:
On 3 Dec, 09:02, "John Nuttall" wrote:

No, LRT as I said.

Just looked on Wikipedia and LRT is the "guided bus wotsit" I referred
to - it runs on rubber tyres, not rails.

But thanks - I must have remembered wrongly about it having PEDs. I
guess your average Singapore passenger is more disciplined than on LUL,
though!

Neil

Didn't some new guided bus whatsit just start up in Cambridgeshire, BTW?

Not quite the same, the Singapore LRT's might run on rubber tyres but
they are not 'guided buses' in the usual sense. They are automatic trams
that use a concrete guide beam and rubber tyres on elevated tracks
instead of steel wheel/rail. The can not in any form what so ever, run on
a public road.

They have more in common with a VAL than a guided bus.

And they run fully automatic with no on train staff OR platform staff
and there are no platform screen doors. They run through dense
residential 'towns' and and school age children appear to use them, on
their own to get around the town, to school and the shops.

The operator in the front of the two older Singapore MRT lines doesn't
actually do a whole lot other than close the doors, some what like a
Victoria Line driver. Unless there is some issue affecting the ATO, they
don't touch the controls. Seems the stopping distances are affected by
rain, so they put out boards advising the operators to take full manual
control due to 'poor adhesion conditions'.

I've actually seen an empty MRT train set come into one of the terminal
stations with no one in the front - the operator was already at the back
end. I think the train was under test, as after a bunch of guys poked
their heads out down one end, they popped back in, closed their door and
the train disappeared back the way it came.

I understand the DLR has 'train captains' purely due to the British rail
safety regulator insisting that their be an authorised (appropriately
trained) member of staff on any passenger carrying train. I seem to
remember in the early days the DLR having an extended 'argument' with the
safety regulators over running trains ECS with no train captain.
Originally a train captain had to on any vehicular that was moving. After
much arguing they got it relaxed to any train in passenger service,
meaning the train captains were not being 'wasted' riding empty cars to
and from the depots.

In other countries with DLR like operations run with no on train or
station staff.
Old December 3rd 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"Richard J." writes:
[...]

People don't have any reason to be there though. Where they are used
on the Underground, there could usually be end doors immediately
adjacent*, around which someone might have an accident.
Old December 3rd 09, 08:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:38:04 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

But it seems that if the key comes out, the door reverts to being a
normal door and closes, and the train takes off without further
prompt.

That seems somewhat of a dangerous[1] design flaw.

Arguably, if the key is removed the unit should remain in the state it
was in (one door open) until it is reinserted and the member of staff
tells it what to do next.

A command to depart should be active, not passive.

[1] Let's say the member of staff does get themselves locked out - but
in doing so gets their coat caught in the door. The train then takes
off for the next station, whacking the member of staff against the
wall if a passenger hasn't noticed in time.

Neil

--
Neil Williams