Old January 25th 10, 09:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
SB SB is offline

Default What Would You Do Women Dressed all in Black?

Interesting experience on the Bakelooo Line at the weekend. The
carriage had about 20 people in it, mainly scattered around. At Oxford
Circus two women (sans male escorts) entered one end of the carriage
and sat down. They were dressed all in black - like they do in Iraq /
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

Old January 25th 10, 09:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:49:16 -0800 (PST), SB
wrote:
Interesting experience on the Bakelooo Line at the weekend. The
carriage had about 20 people in it, mainly scattered around. At Oxford
Circus two women (sans male escorts) entered one end of the carriage
and sat down. They were dressed all in black - like they do in Iraq /
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

Perhaps you should vote UKIP at the next general election?

Old January 25th 10, 11:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"SB" wrote in message
I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

I don't think there would have been a general movement of people to the
other end of the carriage. I doubt most people would have registered
anything odd with a couple of 'slitty-eyed' passengers.

--
David

Old January 26th 10, 07:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
SB wrote:

Interesting experience on the Bakelooo Line at the weekend. The
carriage had about 20 people in it, mainly scattered around. At Oxford
Circus two women (sans male escorts) entered one end of the carriage
and sat down. They were dressed all in black - like they do in Iraq /
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

If they'd have been nuns would people have been so stupid? After all the
costume is much the same.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

Old January 26th 10, 08:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 26, 8:24*am, Graeme wrote:
In message
* * * * * SB wrote:

[...]

The OP doesn't spend much time in London, does he? An utterly normal
scene.
Tim
Old January 26th 10, 08:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
TimB wrote:

On Jan 26, 8:24*am, Graeme wrote:
In message
* * * * * SB wrote:

[...]

I'm told that some young Muslim women wear a burka in public just to freak
idiots like that out :-)

Old January 26th 10, 09:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The OP doesn't spend much time in London, does he? An utterly normal
scene.
Tim

I suspect the whole situation was a figment of the OP's imagination.
Old January 26th 10, 09:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"SB" wrote in message
Interesting experience on the Bakelooo Line at the weekend. The
carriage had about 20 people in it, mainly scattered around. At Oxford
Circus two women (sans male escorts) entered one end of the carriage
and sat down. They were dressed all in black - like they do in Iraq /
Iran. They had the real slitty-eyed look. Well quite a few people
looked at them and then at each other and suddenly decided that they
really did not want to be sitting near them, and they moved towards
the other end of the carriage near where I was. Not that that would
have saved them in an emergency. One of two muttered "well you never
know do you?" I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

What's wrong with Japanese or Chinese women wearing black in public?

But I'll follow the general consensus that you are talking about Muslim
people here. I accept it as being a normal part of traveling in a city with
visitors and residents from around the world. If you didn't realise it, that
(racistly described) scene above happens every day on the Tube, mainline
trains, London buses and probably on the buses in other British cities.
That it happened on the weekend leads me to suspect that those moving away
were not regular London commuters but day visitors and tourists.

Old January 26th 10, 09:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:49:16 -0800 (PST) someone who may be SB
wrote this:-

I got off at Charing Cross, but noticed that by then the
two women had their end of the carriage all to themselves. What would
you have done? SB.

A long time ago many people in Portsmouth generally knew that HMS
Vernon dealt with things which go bang. Mines, torpedoes and that
sort of thing.

One day some sailors got on a crowded train to London with an oblong
package. They stood in a compartment and placed the package gently
on the luggage rack. Then one of them quietly remarked to another
that it was better if the contents of the package went across the
train, as the vibration was less.

A few minutes later one of the other passengers got out of their
seat, left the compartment and didn't come back. Then another did
so. Soon the sailors had a whole compartment to themselves.

The package was, of course, empty.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54