Old August 19th 11, 01:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Air holes in Camberwell

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb...=b&form=LMLTCC

It looks like there are two air holes in the middle of the picture. Why
would such short tunnels have air holes?

Old August 19th 11, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb...=b&form=LMLTCC

It looks like there are two air holes in the middle of the picture. Why
would such short tunnels have air holes?

Considered necessary in the age of steam? (Or is there a secret race of
subterranean beings living there?)

The eastern side of the tunnel / bridge that carries Camberwell Grove was
suddenly closed to road traffic a few years ago after being found to be
structurally too weak, before eventually having a single lane reopen under
traffic light control.

Old August 19th 11, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb...=b&form=LMLTCC

It looks like there are two air holes in the middle of the picture. Why
would such short tunnels have air holes?

You can (just) see them from Google Street View, best from east end, but
doesn't provide any explanation. Not the usual sort of shape for steam holes
I would have thought but of course they must be very short.

MaxB

Old August 19th 11, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(MaxB) wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb...6657&dir=1. 1
77803230998928&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

It looks like there are two air holes in the middle of the picture. Why
would such short tunnels have air holes?

You can (just) see them from Google Street View, best from east end,
but doesn't provide any explanation. Not the usual sort of shape for
steam holes I would have thought but of course they must be very
short.

Weren't they for the aborted Bakerloo line extension?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 19th 11, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In article ,

(MaxB) wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb...=b&form=LMLTCC

It looks like there are two air holes in the middle of the picture. Why
would such short tunnels have air holes?

You can (just) see them from Google Street View, best from east end,
but doesn't provide any explanation. Not the usual sort of shape for
steam holes I would have thought but of course they must be very
short.

Weren't they for the aborted Bakerloo line extension?

No, they're for the railway that passes directly underneath - zoom out to
get the context.

Old August 19th 11, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
(MaxB) wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb...6657&dir=1. 1

77803230998928&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

It looks like there are two air holes in the middle of the picture.
Why would such short tunnels have air holes?

You can (just) see them from Google Street View, best from east end,
but doesn't provide any explanation. Not the usual sort of shape for
steam holes I would have thought but of course they must be very
short.

Weren't they for the aborted Bakerloo line extension?

No, they're for the railway that passes directly underneath - zoom
out to get the context.

Oh there! I misread Camberwell Grove as Green and thought it was somewhere
else. I didn't know that tunnel was like that and I've been through it more
than once too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 19th 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\08\19 10:52, MaxB wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb...=b&form=LMLTCC

It looks like there are two air holes in the middle of the picture.
Why would such short tunnels have air holes?

You can (just) see them from Google Street View, best from east end, but
doesn't provide any explanation. Not the usual sort of shape for steam
holes I would have thought but of course they must be very short.

Come to think of it, this tunnel must be cut and cover, although I'm not
entirely sure why it was covered at all. 1880 maps show the tunnel as
already being there. The appearance of the shafts in Streetview seems
modern.

Old August 19th 11, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Come to think of it, this tunnel must be cut and cover, although I'm
not entirely sure why it was covered at all.

Possibly to provide the skating rink which opened c.1876.

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old August 19th 11, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin
writes

Come to think of it, this tunnel must be cut and cover, although I'm
not entirely sure why it was covered at all.

Possibly to provide the skating rink which opened c.1876.

The tunnel is shown (with no buildings above it) on the 1870 OS map,
which is so soon after the opening of the line that I think it must have
been there from the start. Perhaps it was hoped that there would be a
demand for shops above the tunnel, as it spanned the short gap between
two busy main roads.

--
Paul Terry