Old January 16th 12, 01:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster and Travelcard Availability

On Jan 15, 5:01*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:59:17 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dickinson

wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-Oyster-NR.pdf
suggests that TfL are looking to extend Oyster to bus companies
outside London as part of the contactless payment card acceptance
scheme, presumably using the PAYG balance as an e-purse to purchase
the bus companies existing products.

Interesting given the strategy, as recently evidenced to the GLA
transport committee, within London is to move away from Oyster to use
of contactless bank cards and off system settlement / capping. *We
also have the DfT funded work to ensure ITSO spec cards can be read by
all TfL oyster readers. *You have to wonder quite what it is that
passengers will be expected to have in their wallets in a couple of
years time to use TfL services, NR trains and buses outside London. *A
combined contactless bank and ITSO card ?

--
Paul C

Contactless has a limit of £15 which is unlikely to be changed in the
short term. So yes, either a combined ITSO / contactless payment card,
or separate cards will need to be issued.

Old January 16th 12, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:01:02 on
Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-Oyster-NR.pdf
suggests that TfL are looking to extend Oyster to bus companies
outside London as part of the contactless payment card acceptance
scheme, presumably using the PAYG balance as an e-purse to purchase
the bus companies existing products.

Interesting given the strategy, as recently evidenced to the GLA
transport committee, within London is to move away from Oyster to use
of contactless bank cards and off system settlement / capping. We
also have the DfT funded work to ensure ITSO spec cards can be read by
all TfL oyster readers. You have to wonder quite what it is that
passengers will be expected to have in their wallets in a couple of
years time to use TfL services, NR trains and buses outside London. A
combined contactless bank and ITSO card ?

I expect it'll be the same as happened with other sorts of plastic cards
(including hotel and airline loyalty, various one-organisation age/ID
cards etc) in that we'll have a wallet overflowing with the pesky
things.

I've now got four[1] travel smartcards[2] and I don't predict the number
doing anything but increase

[1] It'd be five[3] if I was still travelling to Amsterdam regularly.
[2] Nottingham Bus
Oyster[4]
Stagecoach (EMT)
Barclaycard Onepulse/Oyster
[3] Or does a Digital Passport count as one as well?
[4] OK, maybe I don't need this, but I can't be bothered to work out how
to transfer the credit to my other one. And it's handy for irregular
travel companions.
Old January 16th 12, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
18:25:30 on Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Matthew Dickinson
remarked:
Contactless has a limit of £15 which is unlikely to be changed in the
short term. So yes, either a combined ITSO / contactless payment card,
or separate cards will need to be issued.

I wonder if Saga could do a combined Twirly/Credit Card?
Old January 16th 12, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that the limit applies to travel within a single
billing to the credit card, which could well be nightly. I think the
maximum travel within London for one day is less than that.

Kevin
Old January 16th 12, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote

recognised that TfL fare levels are so far below what is charged
elsewhere that commercial bus companies cannot afford to charge them
on a wholesale basis although some do what Metroline are now offering
which is charge a cash fare which gives them money in the bank today
rather than a lot less money in the bank at some time in the future.

You'll note that where TfL do run "over the border" that there are no
competing parallel commercial routes - it would be commercial

suicide.
This is one reason why Ensign won't run into Greater London from
Lakeside or Grays - they leave it to TfL routes 370 and 372 - and the
punters have to change buses rather than have a through route which
might be the logical thing to provide.

as to competing parallel commercial routes

Is your terminology quite right ?

Thus from Kingston to Staines TfL 216 and Abellio Surrey's 458 (once
218) are 'parallel' but have no other points in common. I assume
everyone who pays prefers £1.35 to £3.90 for the full journey.

Abellio 461 (Kingston-Molesey-St Peters H) in fact a commercial route,
again I assume everyone who pays prefers £1.35 on the TfL 411 to £2.40
for the Kingston-West Molesey journey

Kingston-Esher has TFL K3 via Claygate which takes 35 minutes, 15
minutes longer than the Abellio 458/459 at £2.40

--
Mike D

Old January 23rd 12, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Last Monday, someone wrote:

Something [1] something[2] somethingsomethingsomething

[1] Something[3] somethingsomethingsomethingsomething
[2] Something
Something[4]
Something (something)
Something something/something
[3] Something?
[4] OK, something.

Blimey. I don't want to attempt to be a Net Nanny without the
appropriate checks, but please! We're not writing academic papers
here. I don't think it really aids understanding. Do your worst.

Thanks,

Richard.