Old November 8th 09, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

When it's to zone 9.

Woke up at a friend's place in Wallington, near Croydon and far from the
Pays du PAYG. Wanted to go home to god's own Finsbury Park, then visit a
convalescing friend in Watford and then come home again. So, bought a Z1-9
travelcard.

I happily used to the ticket to take the Southern to Victoria, the Vic to
FP and back to Euston, and London Midland to Watford Junction - where the
ticket machine ate my travelcard. I asked a member of staff, who i think
was some sort of ticket inspector, and he asserted that this was right and
proper - apparently outside Z6, a travelcard is good for one trip inward
and one out. So it is not, as the name might suggest to the naive, a
travelcard.

I had a look through this charming booklet:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-junction.pdf

And there's no mention of this. It does suggest you read this:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-zones1-6.pdf

Which merrily chortles:

Travel as much as you like in one day using a Day Travelcard

And doesn't go on to qualify that with regards to Watford.

So, what gives? Where's the rule that says Watford gets to eat my ticket?
Where else am i at risk from surprise cartivory?

I assume what's happening is that a Z1-9 travelcard is actually a return
from BZ9 to Z1-6, much as you might buy a return from Chelmsford to Z1-6,
and as such, is only valid for a trip in from Z9 followed by a trip out,
as the fellow i spoke to indicated. In which case, it's a perfectly
consistent and legit product, but *is not a bloody travelcard*.

I imagine there have been threads about this here before, and i probably
should have paid attention. But i didn't. So, what are my chances of
getting Trading Standards to shut down the Z1-9 TC scam?

tom

--
Glass of water, glass of orange juice, cup of coffee, a spell on the
toilet (Guinness hangovers only), back to bed for a good cry. Fried

Old November 8th 09, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

When it's to zone 9.

Woke up at a friend's place in Wallington, near Croydon and far
from the Pays du PAYG. Wanted to go home to god's own Finsbury
Park, then visit a convalescing friend in Watford and then come
home again. So, bought a Z1-9 travelcard.

I happily used to the ticket to take the Southern to Victoria, the
Vic to FP and back to Euston, and London Midland to Watford
Junction - where the ticket machine ate my travelcard. I asked a
member of staff, who i think was some sort of ticket inspector, and
he asserted that this was right and proper - apparently outside Z6,
a travelcard is good for one trip inward and one out. So it is not,
as the name might suggest to the naive, a travelcard.

I had a look through this charming booklet:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tickets-Zone
s-7-9-plus-watford-junction.pdf

[...]

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just Chesham
and Amersham.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 8th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just Chesham
and Amersham.

Correct, nearly. Watford Junction is just outside Zone 8, because in that
area there is no Zone 9.

Paul S

Old November 8th 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Paul Scott wrote:

wrote in message

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just Chesham
and Amersham.

Correct, nearly. Watford Junction is just outside Zone 8, because in that
area there is no Zone 9.

Huh. So should i actually have been excessed or something?

The chap at Wallington seemed to think a Z1-9 TC was the thing i wanted; i
suppose it's no great surprise that he wasn't immediately familiar with
the ins and outs of the rules.

tom

--
This sig kills fascists.
Old November 8th 09, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:31:58 -0600,
wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old November 8th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:08:28 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Huh. So should i actually have been excessed or something?

PFed, I guess, if a 1-9 ODTC is indeed what you had., as such a thing
isn't valid to Watford Junction.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old November 8th 09, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Neil Williams) wrote in
:

wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

Neil

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the zones,
and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations could issue Z1-9
either.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-and-tickets-
Zones-7-9-plus-watford-junction.pdf does quote prices for a "Day Travelcard
Z1-9 plus Watford Junction" but as it's £ 18.00 peak/£ 13.50 off-peak a
Boundary Z6-Watford Junction is often a better option anyway.

David

Old November 8th 09, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . 145,
pleasereplytogroup (David Jackman) wrote:

(Neil Williams) wrote in
:

wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the
zones, and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations
could issue Z1-9 either.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tickets-Zone
s-7-9-plus-watford-junction.pdf does quote prices for a "Day
Travelcard Z1-9 plus Watford Junction" but as it's £ 18.00 peak/£
13.50 off-peak a Boundary Z6-Watford Junction is often a better
option anyway.

Assuming the ticket office in question did what they should have done, of
course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel