Old May 18th 12, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Failed Oyster card

My card became unreadable somewhere between Warren Street and Dalston
Junction today - apparently I have to go to a tube station to get it
sorted, which is inconvenient. Why would it suddenly fail? It's in a
plastic wallet. Could it be by being too close to a mobile phone - I
think I may have held my phone near the pocket with the card in while
listening to music.

E.

Old May 18th 12, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 18 May 2012 18:01:18 UTC+1, eastender wrote:
My card became unreadable somewhere between Warren Street and Dalston
Junction today - apparently I have to go to a tube station to get it
sorted, which is inconvenient. Why would it suddenly fail?

You paid by credit card and your credit card company has withdrawn your credit.
Bad luck.
Old May 18th 12, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Offramp wrote:

You paid by credit card and your credit card company has withdrawn your
credit.
Bad luck.

Yes, I've heard they like to do that when one is 100 feet underground.

E.
Old May 18th 12, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:

The Staff guide to Fares and Ticketing says that you should be able to
use the Oyster website or Oyster helpline to try to resolve the
problem. I suspect a Tube ticket office will be faster as they will
issue a replacement on the spot.

I did call the Oyster helpline and was told that only lost or stolen
cards can be handled remotely - you have to go to a station.

It may be something to do with auto-top failing - the last journey (16
May) before today took the balance to ?13.55 but the balance is now
showing as ?6.95 and the ?40 auto top-up hasn't been applied - it says
this should happen below ?8.

There's nothing showing on my online credit card account but the card is
fine. Does auto top-up show up at once on the Oyster site?

So DJ -- Warren Street -- DJ today has been billed so far as ?6.60.

I notice that last year there was a 'Failed top-up resettled'.

The card was in a top breast pocket on my jacket and so was well
protected. I didn't touch in between Vic line and overground at Highbury
- I normally do this.

E.
Old May 19th 12, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/05/2012 22:46, eastender wrote:

It may be something to do with auto-top failing - the last journey (16
May) before today took the balance to ?13.55 but the balance is now
showing as ?6.95 and the ?40 auto top-up hasn't been applied - it says
this should happen below ?8.

There's nothing showing on my online credit card account but the card is
fine. Does auto top-up show up at once on the Oyster site?

Not sure how long it takes to show up, but if an Auto Top-Up occurs and
your credit/debit card is subsequently declined you get an e-mail
telling you you need to pay it. If you fail to do so within five days
they kill the card.

Cheers,

Barry

Old May 20th 12, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote in news:nospam-351CD3.20294918052012
@news.virginmedia.com:

In article ,
Offramp wrote:

You paid by credit card and your credit card company has withdrawn your
credit.
Bad luck.

Yes, I've heard they like to do that when one is 100 feet underground.

E.

6 foot under is enough for them to do that :-)