A London Transport forum. London Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » London Banter forum » London Newsgroups » London Transport
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 20th 12, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Mizter T
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,596
Default 600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/25748.aspx

Excerpts...

---quote---
[...]The first batch of 30 buses, enough to convert a full route, will
enter passenger service in April next year [2013].
[...]
No decision has yet been made on which routes will be converted, however
the new buses will be deployed on busy central London routes where their
unique characteristics, such as the open rear platform, can deliver the
maximum benefits."

In a departure from the current bus ownership model, TfL has also taken
the decision to purchase the buses directly from the manufacturer. This
will secure a better unit price by purchasing the new buses in larger
numbers rather than a bus operator ordering in smaller batches on a per
route basis. The buses will then be allocated to the bus operators,
reducing contract costs as the operator will simply quote for staffing,
fuel and maintenance costs.

The new ownership model will enable us to more easily move the buses
between operators when route contracts change and significantly extend
the operational life of the vehicle. After an initial purchase outlay
this ownership model will deliver savings of tens of millions of pounds
over the life of the buses. The TfL Business Plan is due to be revised
later this year and the purchase of the 600 vehicles will be delivered
within TfL's current funding settlement.
---/quote---


Also, in the footnotes to editors - "The operational life of the New Bus
for London is 14 years in service in London."
  #2  
Old September 20th 12, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,009
Default 600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL

Mizter T wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/25748.aspx

Excerpts...

---quote---
[...]The first batch of 30 buses, enough to convert a full route, will
enter passenger service in April next year [2013].
[...]
No decision has yet been made on which routes will be converted, however
the new buses will be deployed on busy central London routes where their
unique characteristics, such as the open rear platform, can deliver the maximum benefits."

In a departure from the current bus ownership model, TfL has also taken
the decision to purchase the buses directly from the manufacturer. This
will secure a better unit price by purchasing the new buses in larger
numbers rather than a bus operator ordering in smaller batches on a per
route basis. The buses will then be allocated to the bus operators,
reducing contract costs as the operator will simply quote for staffing,
fuel and maintenance costs.

The new ownership model will enable us to more easily move the buses
between operators when route contracts change and significantly extend
the operational life of the vehicle. After an initial purchase outlay
this ownership model will deliver savings of tens of millions of pounds
over the life of the buses. The TfL Business Plan is due to be revised
later this year and the purchase of the 600 vehicles will be delivered
within TfL's current funding settlement.
---/quote---


Also, in the footnotes to editors - "The operational life of the New Bus
for London is 14 years in service in London."


Doesn't this look like a major step towards the nationalisation of London
Buses?
  #3  
Old September 20th 12, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,221
Default 600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL

In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/25748.aspx

Excerpts...

---quote---
[...]The first batch of 30 buses, enough to convert a full route, will
enter passenger service in April next year [2013].
[...]
No decision has yet been made on which routes will be converted, however
the new buses will be deployed on busy central London routes where their
unique characteristics, such as the open rear platform, can deliver
the maximum benefits."

In a departure from the current bus ownership model, TfL has also taken
the decision to purchase the buses directly from the manufacturer. This
will secure a better unit price by purchasing the new buses in larger
numbers rather than a bus operator ordering in smaller batches on a per
route basis. The buses will then be allocated to the bus operators,
reducing contract costs as the operator will simply quote for staffing,
fuel and maintenance costs.

The new ownership model will enable us to more easily move the buses
between operators when route contracts change and significantly extend
the operational life of the vehicle. After an initial purchase outlay
this ownership model will deliver savings of tens of millions of pounds
over the life of the buses. The TfL Business Plan is due to be revised
later this year and the purchase of the 600 vehicles will be delivered
within TfL's current funding settlement.
---/quote---

Also, in the footnotes to editors - "The operational life of the New Bus
for London is 14 years in service in London."


Doesn't this look like a major step towards the nationalisation of London
Buses?


More likely TfL turning itself into a ROSCO. But only 14 years service? RMs
got up to 50!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
  #4  
Old September 20th 12, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,009
Default 600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL

wrote:
In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/25748.aspx

Excerpts...

---quote---
[...]The first batch of 30 buses, enough to convert a full route, will
enter passenger service in April next year [2013].
[...]
No decision has yet been made on which routes will be converted, however
the new buses will be deployed on busy central London routes where their
unique characteristics, such as the open rear platform, can deliver
the maximum benefits."

In a departure from the current bus ownership model, TfL has also taken
the decision to purchase the buses directly from the manufacturer. This
will secure a better unit price by purchasing the new buses in larger
numbers rather than a bus operator ordering in smaller batches on a per
route basis. The buses will then be allocated to the bus operators,
reducing contract costs as the operator will simply quote for staffing,
fuel and maintenance costs.

The new ownership model will enable us to more easily move the buses
between operators when route contracts change and significantly extend
the operational life of the vehicle. After an initial purchase outlay
this ownership model will deliver savings of tens of millions of pounds
over the life of the buses. The TfL Business Plan is due to be revised
later this year and the purchase of the 600 vehicles will be delivered
within TfL's current funding settlement.
---/quote---

Also, in the footnotes to editors - "The operational life of the New Bus
for London is 14 years in service in London."


Doesn't this look like a major step towards the nationalisation of London
Buses?


More likely TfL turning itself into a ROSCO. But only 14 years service? RMs
got up to 50!


How long do other modern buses last in London?
  #5  
Old September 20th 12, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,009
Default 600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:04:11 -0500,
wrote:

In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/25748.aspx

Also, in the footnotes to editors - "The operational life of the New Bus
for London is 14 years in service in London."

Doesn't this look like a major step towards the nationalisation of London
Buses?


More likely TfL turning itself into a ROSCO. But only 14 years service? RMs
got up to 50!


The NB4L is incredibly heavy because of the 2 staircase design. No one
knows what longevity there is in the bodywork but the far bigger risk
is the hybrid drive and the motors. Hybrid technology will continue
to advance and it has not been made public as to how flexible the NB4L
design might be in terms of accommodating technology changes. That is,
perhaps, understandable.

The RM was both revolutionary but also very simple and easy to
maintain. It was capable of being re-engined with several difference
designs. The RMs on the Heritage routes are effectively Dennis Darts
underneath! Who knows if the NB4L will be capable of emulating that
sort of flexibility.


I suppose it's the battery technology that's most likely to advance during
the bus's lifetime. Emission rules will also get tighter, so one could
imagine that the whole battery+engine+electronics module could be replaced
more often than the body and chassis.
  #6  
Old September 20th 12, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,221
Default 600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:04:11 -0500,

wrote:

In article

.com,
(Recliner) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/25748.aspx

Also, in the footnotes to editors - "The operational life of the New
Bus for London is 14 years in service in London."

Doesn't this look like a major step towards the nationalisation of
London Buses?


More likely TfL turning itself into a ROSCO. But only 14 years service?
RMs got up to 50!


The NB4L is incredibly heavy because of the 2 staircase design. No one
knows what longevity there is in the bodywork but the far bigger risk
is the hybrid drive and the motors. Hybrid technology will continue
to advance and it has not been made public as to how flexible the NB4L
design might be in terms of accommodating technology changes. That is,
perhaps, understandable.

The RM was both revolutionary but also very simple and easy to
maintain. It was capable of being re-engined with several difference
designs. The RMs on the Heritage routes are effectively Dennis Darts
underneath! Who knows if the NB4L will be capable of emulating that
sort of flexibility.


Interesting. Thanks. When you say RMs now "are effectively Dennis Darts" do
you mean the engine and drive train or more?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
  #7  
Old September 25th 12, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Cantrell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,016
Default 600 new Borismasters ordered by TfL

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:04:11PM -0500, wrote:

But only 14 years service? RMs got up to 50!


With a couple of major refits.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Repent through spending
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2014 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.