Old October 1st 09, 12:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Five new London Midland trains to carry 1,600 extra passengers fromWatford and Bushey to london Euston from December

From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

Five new London Midland trains to carry 1,600 extra passengers from
Watford and Bushey to London Euston from December

By Michael Pickard »

Five new “shuttle services” will serve train passengers in Watford and
Bushey, when a new timetable is launched in December.
London Midland today announced there will be an extra 1,600 seats on
peak commuter services when the new trains begin to run into and out
of London.
They will also operate from Harrow and Wealdstone, while two more
shuttles will stop at Tring and Milton Keynes.
The extra seats follow a successful bid by London Midland to the
Department for Transport, as part of the government's High Level
Output Specification (HLOS).
Other improvements will include extra ticket gates at London Euston
and extra staff.
London Midland Managing Director, Mike Hodson said: “These extra seats
are great news for London Midland passengers travelling to and from
Euston.
“In addition to our £190m investment in new trains, this successful
bid means we can provide more peak services when they’re really
needed.”
…………………………….
…………………………….
John Burke
WRUG

Old October 1st 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 1 Oct, 13:01, burkey wrote:
From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

[...]

Someone should write a book on 101 meanings for the word "train" in
press releases.

Some frequent/recent uses are

train (believe it or not)
locomotive
carriage (to bump up the apparent size of orders)
scheduled service
scheduled diagram
entire service on a route

Unlike with respect to the debates around "fewer" and "railway
station", I really have no idea what is meant by "train" in most press
stories.
Old October 1st 09, 05:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 1 Oct, 13:01, burkey wrote:
From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

[...]

Extra ticket gates at Euston?

Is this a new installation of gates for platforms 16 - 18 or more
gates for 8 - 11. If the latter, there is only limited space to
install them given the narrow opening to these platforms. Might we
see separate barrier lines for the pairs 8 and 9 and 10 and 11 with
the gates installed further down the platforms?
Old October 1st 09, 06:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

burkey wrote:
From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

Five new London Midland trains to carry 1,600 extra passengers from
Watford and Bushey to London Euston from December

By Michael Pickard »

Five new “shuttle services” will serve train passengers in Watford and
Bushey, when a new timetable is launched in December.
London Midland today announced there will be an extra 1,600 seats on
peak commuter services when the new trains begin to run into and out
of London.

These 'new train' numbers don't seem to add up, the LM track access
application only seems to mention one additional Watford Junction 'shuttle'
each way, and an extra Bletchley - Euston: I think what they should have
said is three services have been added and some others altered.

When this first came up (Neil Williams mentioned it way back IIRC) it was
anticipated to be a relatively large number (was it 7?) of pure Watford -
Euston shuttles.

"SX Southbound
New services: 0633 Bletchley – Euston, 0815 Watford Junction - Euston
Alterations to existing services: 0803 Watford Junction – Euston retimed to
depart 0754;
0832 Bletchley – Euston starts Tring 0848, other times unaltered

SX Northbound
New services: 1728 Euston – Watford Junction, 1820 Euston – Milton Keynes
Alterations to existing services: 1804 Euston – Milton Keynes extended to
Northampton

http://tinyurl.com/ybcjj4u

Paul S

Old October 1st 09, 08:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Harris" wrote in message
On 1 Oct, 13:01, burkey wrote:
From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

[...]

I was wondering that. Gates on platforms 16-18 hardly constitutes "extra"
gates and quite how they will get extra gates on 8-11 eludes me.
What about sorting out the diabolical tube access at Euston. A single
escalator down ( because the suburban entrance is closed in the rush hour)
at a main line terminal is a joke.

Kevin

Old October 1st 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Oct 1, 9:32*pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
"Jonathan Harris" wrote in message

On 1 Oct, 13:01, burkey wrote:

From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

[...]

Maybe they will be removing the large 'office' by the wide manual
gate, which seems normally to have several members of staff in it,
only one of whom seems to be there to talk to any passengers with
problems. This would leave room for a couple more gates at least.

The closure of the suburban entrance to the Underground station is a
short term measure to stop the spiral stairs down to the southbound
Victoria and Northern line City branch getting too busy whilst the
escalator is out of use; this is clearly signposted near the closed
gates. Don't forget that there is also a set of stairs available from
the main concourse, next to the escalator.
Old October 1st 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Oct 1, 7:55*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
burkey wrote:
From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

[...]

The train alterations are certainly more complex than the story
implies, there also many changes in the calling patterns of services,
for example southbound from Harrow & Wealdstone between ~08.00 and
10.00, there is an extra 'fast' service and a slightly better spread
of services between 08.30 and 09.30:

Current Service, Harrow Departures: 07.57 08.11 08.15 08.31 08.41 -
09.11 09.24 09.54
14 Dec 2009, Harrow Departures: 08:04 08:17 08:23 08:28 08:33 08:54
09:12 09:28 09:54

In the evening, the extra 17.28 to Watford doesn't appear in the
journey planner and the Harrow stop in the 17.04 is moved to 17.14
with no 17.24 service.

I'm not quite certain why more Watford - Euston services are not down
to run, as there seems to be enough empty gaps, on the slow lines,
between trains at the moment.
Old October 1st 09, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Andy" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 9:32 pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
"Jonathan Harris" wrote in message

On 1 Oct, 13:01, burkey wrote:

From eWatford Observer 11:30am Thursday 1st October 2009

[...]

The closure of the suburban entrance has been going on for some time, long
before the closure of the Vicoria line escalator.
I don't see why putting extra gates in helps anyway when everbody is the
funnelled up the ramp onto the concourse.
Given that a lot of people are actually not going to the tube I was
wondering if there is any way people could exit via the service tunnel. I
assume not.

Kevin

Old October 1st 09, 10:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The closure of the suburban entrance has been going on for some time, long
before the closure of the Vicoria line escalator.
I don't see why putting extra gates in helps anyway when everbody is the
funnelled up the ramp onto the concourse.
Given that a lot of people are actually not going to the tube I was
wondering if there is any way people could exit via the service tunnel. I
assume not.

Actually the current closure of the suburban entrance has only been
since the escalator failure. The entrance was closed for a period
before, when the escalators from the Underground ticket hall to the
National Rail concourse were being overhauled and this happened both
morning and evening; there was a one-way system with the surburban
route used for exit from the Underground and the concourse escalator
used for entrance. The entrance then reopened until the Victoria line
escalator failed earlier this year. If the slope can cope with the
suburban passengers as well as everyone from the Underground, I don't
think it is the bottleneck you seem to think it is.

I suggest you look at where the crowds actually are; there are
insufficient gates with people 10 deep if even one train has arrived.
The gates are supposed to be kept open during the morning peak such is
the number of people trying to get through. Once people get through
the gates, there is not much congestion up the slope and only then if
someone stops moving.