Old December 16th 12, 01:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London Overground - Phase 2....

While I'm sure this has been discussed before - but was there ever any
thought of running the London Overground trains along the SLL into
Victoria as well as into Clapham Junction? ie - one every 15 mins out of
Victoria, along the SLL to Highbury and then one every 15 mins from
Clapham Junction to Dalston or some such.

I suspect it must have been thought about, as it would provide some
decent options to different places out of Victoria, but presumably they
couldn't run 8 trains an hour down the SLL (plus 16 or however many
through the ELL core) and I guess anything less than 4 trains an hour out
of any of the stations is no-go these days.

Old December 16th 12, 02:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

martin_petrov wrote:

While I'm sure this has been discussed before - but was there ever any
thought of running the London Overground trains along the SLL into
Victoria as well as into Clapham Junction? ie - one every 15 mins out of
Victoria, along the SLL to Highbury and then one every 15 mins from
Clapham Junction to Dalston or some such.

I suspect it must have been thought about, as it would provide some
decent options to different places out of Victoria, but presumably they
couldn't run 8 trains an hour down the SLL (plus 16 or however many
through the ELL core) and I guess anything less than 4 trains an hour out
of any of the stations is no-go these days.

I suspect not, both because it would break the circle concept that's at the
core of the idea and also because of how busy Victoria is. I further suspect
it's part of the medium term goal of Overground to reduce the number of
suburban services in and out of the main terminals by diverting traffic
round and encouraging non-Zone 1 interchanges where possible.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old December 16th 12, 02:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"martin_petrov" wrote in message ...

While I'm sure this has been discussed before - but was there ever any
thought of running the London Overground trains along the SLL into
Victoria as well as into Clapham Junction? ie - one every 15 mins out of
Victoria, along the SLL to Highbury and then one every 15 mins from
Clapham Junction to Dalston or some such.

The South London Metro 10-car scheme involves closing the junction to the
Atlantic Lines at Battersea Park - the Down Slow platform will be extended
across the junction. Nor would it be practical to run the SLL service into
Victoria Eastern. It would still lose the Battersea Park stop, and it would
not be easy for Down trains to call at Wandsworth Road. The link to Clapham
Junction in fact greatly increases connectivity, while there are other
routes to Central London, including LUL from Clapham North, and Southeastern
to Victoria from Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill.

Peter

Old December 17th 12, 07:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Having done some digging I found this on the TfL website even though TfL
have done some "tidying up" since the new Overground link opened.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa.../south-london-

line-study-findings.pdf

A couple of the options show LOROL running into Victoria. It has not
proved possible to make any of these options happen due to political
disagreement on a monumental scale. The DfT even refused to allow a few
long distance trains to stop at Peckham and Denmark Hill. The whole
thing has been an unedifying mess which does passengers very few
favours. I will be astonished if TfL are able to get their most recent
proposal of a Bromley South - Victoria off peak service in for the 2014
timetable change.

I am sure I have read of a proposal for LOROL to have "emergency"
running rights into Victoria in the event of engineering works.
However I think even this was turned down which is why LOROL would
divert to Battersea Park and turn there.

Ta - that was indeed an interesting read - it seems the big quibble with
using Victoria for LOROL is the fact it's only 4 carriage - which I
suppose can be used better in other ways....
Old December 18th 12, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

One of the issues oft overlooked is that Denmark Hill serves King's
College Hospital - one of the busiest in the UK,

Currently dozens of outpatients – and people being admitted as
inpatients – from Kent and all parts of SE London have to be taken each
way every day by hospital transport, paid for by the NHS, because
public transport links are not straightforward.

For example, if you take the train into London Bridge, you then have to
exit the station and either cross Tooley Street or along Borough High
Street for the bus.
Neither of these are easy if you are using crutches / sticks or are
infirm / unused to London.

Maybe someone from the Dept of Health - or NHS London - could talk to DfT.

But of course that would involve some joined up thinking - an alien
concept to DfT people who - to judge by their policies and
decision-making re London and the Southeast must all commute from
Penzance, or maybe Georgemass Junction!!!

Ken

Old December 18th 12, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-12-18, kenw wrote:
One of the issues oft overlooked is that Denmark Hill serves King's
College Hospital - one of the busiest in the UK,

Currently dozens of outpatients ??? and people being admitted as
inpatients ??? from Kent and all parts of SE London have to be taken each
way every day by hospital transport, paid for by the NHS, because
public transport links are not straightforward.

For example, if you take the train into London Bridge, you then have to
exit the station and either cross Tooley Street or along Borough High
Street for the bus.
Neither of these are easy if you are using crutches / sticks or are
infirm / unused to London.

Probably fairly similar to the walk from Denmark Hill station to and
into the hospital - that is not a sensible route for the infirm either.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO! Mizter T London Transport 74 February 18th 09 07:25 PM
ELLX phase 2 Mwmbwls London Transport 98 January 28th 08 09:03 AM
ELLX phase 2 Peter Masson London Transport 1 December 14th 07 08:26 PM
ELLX phase 2 Mizter T London Transport 0 December 14th 07 06:26 PM
DLR Capacity Enhancement Phase 2: North & East Routes Dockland London Transport 4 March 21st 06 04:24 PM