Old November 29th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Tim is offline

Default Oyster Query

I have an Oyster card with a Zone1-3 annual travelcard and something like
£15 of prepay on it

If I want to travel from Earlsfield (zone3) to Kew (also zone 3), going via
Richmond (zone 4), I only ever touch in and out in zone 3 so I am not
paying for my brief time in zone 4. However I have done what is expected of
me - touched in and out and carried enough prepay to cover my extension
ticket.

A colleague tells me that this is correct and that I am travelling perfectly
legally - can anyone here confirm this?

Thanks
Tim

Old November 29th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim wrote:
I have an Oyster card with a Zone1-3 annual travelcard and something like
£15 of prepay on it

If I want to travel from Earlsfield (zone3) to Kew (also zone 3), going via
Richmond (zone 4), I only ever touch in and out in zone 3 so I am not
paying for my brief time in zone 4. However I have done what is expected of
me - touched in and out and carried enough prepay to cover my extension
ticket.

A colleague tells me that this is correct and that I am travelling perfectly
legally - can anyone here confirm this?

Theoretically, no, it's not "legal", as prepay is not valid SWT - so it
won't cover you for the short distance between North Sheen and Richmond.
To travel that way, should buy a paper extension ticket for North Sheen
to Kew.

The other legal alternative is to use your travelcard on the bus from
North Sheen, or travel to Kew Bridge instead (and use a bus if necessary).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 29th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

If I want to travel from Earlsfield (zone3) to Kew (also zone 3), going
via
Richmond (zone 4), I only ever touch in and out in zone 3 so I am not
paying for my brief time in zone 4. However I have done what is

expected of
me - touched in and out and carried enough prepay to cover my extension
ticket.

A colleague tells me that this is correct and that I am travelling

perfectly
legally - can anyone here confirm this?

Theoretically, no, it's not "legal", as prepay is not valid SWT - so it
won't cover you for the short distance between North Sheen and Richmond.
To travel that way, should buy a paper extension ticket for North Sheen
to Kew.

The Oystercard site can be a bit vague but seems to say when transferring
from the tube to rail / tram / DLR you are supposed to touch in at the
interchange station (that applies to all Oyster users, not just Pre-Pay). I
assume the reverse applies though it doesn't actually spell it out.

It also says if you are using National Rail services and expect to be able
to use your Pre-Pay as a ticket extension on participating services you have
to break your journey and touch in where you want the Pre-Pay usage to start
(I assume they are talking about a journey that doesn't start on a
participating service but again they don't spell it out).

However either way it suggests that you are supposed to touch in at Richmond
if you consider you are using Pre-Pay from there to Kew.

Old November 30th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:00:25 -0000, "Tim" wrote:

I have an Oyster card with a Zone1-3 annual travelcard and something like
£15 of prepay on it

If I want to travel from Earlsfield (zone3) to Kew (also zone 3), going via
Richmond (zone 4), I only ever touch in and out in zone 3 so I am not
paying for my brief time in zone 4. However I have done what is expected of
me - touched in and out and carried enough prepay to cover my extension
ticket.

A colleague tells me that this is correct and that I am travelling perfectly
legally - can anyone here confirm this?

Thanks
Tim

Pre-pay can't be used on National Rail except where there is a joint
line (e.g. Richmond - Gunnersbury). So to travel legally you need to
buy a 'paper' extension ticket from Boundary Zone 3 to Richmond, then
use you pre-pay to touch-in at Richmond and out again at Kew Gardens.

This might change in the future if the Mayor's plans to fully
integrate fares is realised, but until then you must buy an extension
ticket to travel beyond the zones on National Rail.

Old November 30th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:25:39 +0000, Ian Tindale

Pre-pay can't be used on National Rail except where there is a joint
line (e.g. Richmond - Gunnersbury). So to travel legally you need to
buy a 'paper' extension ticket from Boundary Zone 3 to Richmond, then
use you pre-pay to touch-in at Richmond and out again at Kew Gardens.

Is this because such lines don't have staff with Oyster readers to check? If
so, what if you just waved your pre-pay Oyster at them claiming that it has
a valid weekly travelcard on it? What would they be able to do about that?

No, it's because National Rail fares do not come into the TfL zonal
pricing structure (apart from certain joint lines), so even a 'paper'
Underground zone ticket is not valid on a National Rail service.

For example, if you bought a single from Richmond to Piccadilly by
tube (Underground Zone 4 to Zone 1), it is not valid for use from
Richmond to Waterloo by SWT, even though the 'Zones' you pass through
are the same.

Similarly, if you have a Travelcard Zones 1&2 on Oyster, plus £10
pre-pay, and you want to travel to Waterloo, you must still buy a
single from Richmond to Putney (first mainline station within Zone 2)
if travelling by SWT because the fares are not interchangeable, and
pre-pay does not apply on National Rail - at the moment.

Hope that's clearer!

Old November 30th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:25:39 +0000, Ian Tindale

Pre-pay can't be used on National Rail except where there is a joint
line (e.g. Richmond - Gunnersbury). So to travel legally you need to
buy a 'paper' extension ticket from Boundary Zone 3 to Richmond, then
use you pre-pay to touch-in at Richmond and out again at Kew Gardens.

Is this because such lines don't have staff with Oyster readers to check? If
so, what if you just waved your pre-pay Oyster at them claiming that it has
a valid weekly travelcard on it? What would they be able to do about that?

I suspect you might get away with it, but for the avoidance of doubt,
you might be asked to show a paper recod/proof of purchase for the
season ticket,

Or, they'd be able to check if if they had Oyster card readers. From
reports some time ago here, RPIs have were spotted on WAGN trains from
Kings Cross doing just this.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old November 30th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Barry Salter wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:23:59 +0000, Jason wrote:
Or, they'd be able to check if if they had Oyster card readers. From
reports some time ago here, RPIs have were spotted on WAGN trains from
Kings Cross doing just this.

Indeed, though if they don't have one of the Handheld Verifiers, they
can't check (obviously).

Silverlink guards have them on the GOBLIN - occasionally.

The station assistant at Finchley Central had one this evening,
too, but thats LuL rather than a NR TOC.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver
Old December 1st 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:23:59 +0000, Jason wrote:

I suspect you might get away with it, but for the avoidance of doubt,
you might be asked to show a paper recod/proof of purchase for the
season ticket,

Except you're not obliged to carry same with you unless you want to
obtain a Gold Card discount, and if you renew online you don't get a new
'record card' anyway (except, presumably, for Annual Gold Card
Travelcards).

You don't get a record card in the station if you are only buying a seven
day ticket

Oyster Query Zen83237 London Transport 5 March 29th 09 04:09 PM
Query about Oyster PAYG on Central Line from Stratford Axlegrease[_2_] London Transport 7 April 15th 08 12:27 AM
Oyster PAYG query John[_3_] London Transport 41 February 18th 08 08:36 AM
Oyster Fare and routing query [email protected] London Transport 11 February 17th 08 12:16 AM
Another Oyster Query Peter London Transport 30 April 11th 06 09:15 AM