Old April 13th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Query about Oyster PAYG on Central Line from Stratford

Can anyone help with this, please?
On Wednesday, I have to catch a flight from Heathrow. I shall have serious
quantities of luggage and my plan is to travel from home in Essex to
Stratford via National Express Anglia Railways, then the Central Line,
District Line and Piccadilly Line to the airport. The most economic fare is
a NE single to Stratford then use my PAYG Oyster to Heathrow.

I know there's a cross-platform interchange at Stratford to the Central line
Westbound, but does anyone know if there are validators for PAYG on the
platform? I just called 7222 1234 and they don't know! (The whole point of
cross-platform interchange will be lost if I have to lumber my bags down the
steps to use a validator).

Thanks in advance.
AG

Old April 13th 08, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 13, 8:15*pm, "Axlegrease" wrote:
Can anyone help with this, please?
On Wednesday, I have to catch a flight from Heathrow. *I shall have serious
quantities of luggage and my plan is to travel from home in Essex to
Stratford via National Express Anglia Railways, then the Central Line,
District Line and Piccadilly Line to the airport. *The most economic fare is
a NE single to Stratford then use my PAYG Oyster to Heathrow.

I know there's a cross-platform interchange at Stratford to the Central line
Westbound, but does anyone know if there are validators *for PAYG on the
platform? *I just called 7222 1234 and they don't know! *(The whole point of
cross-platform interchange will be lost if I have to lumber my bags down the
steps to use a validator).

Thanks in advance.
AG

Yes there are.

I am just wondering whether you will have to use the steps anyway
though. Do you know for sure if you will arrive in the platform with
the cross-platform interchange?
Old April 13th 08, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 8:15 pm, "Axlegrease" wrote:
I know there's a cross-platform interchange at Stratford to the Central
line
Westbound, but does anyone know if there are validators for PAYG on the
platform? I just called 7222 1234 and they don't know! (The whole point of
cross-platform interchange will be lost if I have to lumber my bags down
the
steps to use a validator).

Yes there are.

I am just wondering whether you will have to use the steps anyway
though. Do you know for sure if you will arrive in the platform with
the cross-platform interchange?

Thanks!
I'll be on the Metro service from Shenfield which stops across the platform
from the Central Line (except when there are major problems & I'm enough of
an optimist to hope/expect there won't be any of those!)
AG

Old April 14th 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Axlegrease wrote:
Thanks!

IIRC the validators are towards the front of the train.

I'll be on the Metro service from Shenfield which stops across the platform
from the Central Line (except when there are major problems & I'm enough of
an optimist to hope/expect there won't be any of those!)

Most of the platforms at Stratford have lifts, so it won't be a
total disaster.

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash

Old April 14th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

-----

Thanks!
I'll be on the Metro service from Shenfield which stops across the platform
from the Central Line (except when there are major problems & I'm enough of
an optimist to hope/expect there won't be any of those!)

In which case case you're all set for cross-platform interchange.
There are several standalone Oyster readers on those island platforms
at which the Central line calls at Stratford, though if you can't find
any then head towards the stairs as there are definitely some at the
*top* of the staircases.

I presume your plan is to go on the Central to Mile End, cross-
platform change to the District, then cross-platform change to the
Piccadilly at Baron's Court. All good for the ease of cross-platform
changes, though it would certainly be a longer journey than just
changing from the Central to the Piccadilly at Holborn.

Old April 14th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

"MIG" wrote:

[...]

Not a lot of difference, TBH. Whenever I do Romford - Heathrow I take
the Central/District/Picc route. TfL says Mile End - Barons Court is
38 mins by District Line and also by Central/Picc line. Only
additional time is a couple of mins, waiting at Mile End for the
District Line.

--
Ken
Old April 14th 08, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Not a lot of difference, TBH. Whenever I do Romford - Heathrow I take
the Central/District/Picc route. TfL says Mile End - Barons Court is
38 mins by District Line and also by Central/Picc line. Only
additional time is a couple of mins, waiting at Mile End for the
District Line.

Thanks, everyone for your help. Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems
with validation, anyway!

I'd planned to change at Mile End and Hammersmith, which was what TfL
Journey Planner came up with when I asked for a route without stairs or
escalators. A fgriend who uses Hammersmith regularly assured me that this
is ok, so I reckon I'm on track for a lovely holiday in T5 - while my
luggage suns itself in Milan, probably!

AG